Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

I hope she ends up an origin character.

I doubt it, but only because

She is clearly a sister to Shadowheart or even an early version of the "weapon" Shadowheart was going to become.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Spideyknight

Edwin was one of the best companions in the game and he was Evil.

Edwin was great. I meant that there were hardly any evil companions. Only 3 in the original and one more in the expansion.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Hrungr
Image of Nightsong.

"Lips of Darkness" wink

[Linked Image]

Hopefully. It looks like she'll be a companion either way.

Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Image of Nightsong.

"Lips of Darkness" wink

[Linked Image]

They would have to write her into Act 1 somehow then, no?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Image of Nightsong.

"Lips of Darkness" wink

[Linked Image]

Lips of Darkness lol, she must be Shadowheart or Astarion waifu laugh

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Warlocke
You all really shouldn’t be so worried about the character alignments. If you listen to Karlach’s audio files you will hear lots of lines where she expresses empathy. While it’s of course too early to say definitively, she sounds very much like a good aligned character.

My guess is that it will be:

Minsc - good
Karlach - good
Helia - good
Wyll - neutral
Gale - neutral
Astarion - evil
Shadowheart - evil
Lae’zel - evil

This seems like a very decent spread, especially seeing as BG2 had a very poor selection of evil companions.

That being said, the more the merrier, so hopefully Larian is going to add a few.

I think Helia is probably neutral, and SH may move towards being neutral from evil. So two good, four neutral, and two evil. Still not good enough for me on the "good" side.

If there would be 4 neutral, they probably can be encouraged by the player to go in either direction. You would then have 6 good and 2 evil.
I wish there would be more of all alignments but this will probably not happen.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Warlocke
You all really shouldn’t be so worried about the character alignments. If you listen to Karlach’s audio files you will hear lots of lines where she expresses empathy. While it’s of course too early to say definitively, she sounds very much like a good aligned character.

My guess is that it will be:

Minsc - good
Karlach - good
Helia - good
Wyll - neutral
Gale - neutral
Astarion - evil
Shadowheart - evil
Lae’zel - evil

This seems like a very decent spread, especially seeing as BG2 had a very poor selection of evil companions.

That being said, the more the merrier, so hopefully Larian is going to add a few.

I think Helia is probably neutral, and SH may move towards being neutral from evil. So two good, four neutral, and two evil. Still not good enough for me on the "good" side.

If there would be 4 neutral, they probably can be encouraged by the player to go in either direction. You would then have 6 good and 2 evil.
I wish there would be more of all alignments but this will probably not happen.

While going through some tags on tumblr I found that scionsandsinners uploaded this audio file today which gives me a glimmer of hope that our actions might influence our party member's alignments. It's all just inspection now since we don't know the context and whether or not it can be prompted in EA. It leaves me thinking though... I would love to have our actions to spark a change in some of our more companions morals and ethics.

Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Fiend

While going through some tags on tumblr I found that scionsandsinners uploaded this audio file today which gives me a glimmer of hope that our actions might influence our party member's alignments. It's all just inspection now since we don't know the context and whether or not it can be prompted in EA. It leaves me thinking though... I would love to have our actions to spark a change in some of our more companions morals and ethics.

WotC told Larian some time during development that alignments were to be cut, so unless this dialogue is from the new system where companions are supposedly organic it might be a holdover from when you could rigidly shift their alignment. Alternatively it could be that all of this is cut and companions no longer change at all.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Image of Nightsong.

"Lips of Darkness" wink

[Linked Image]

They would have to write her into Act 1 somehow then, no?

She is in Act 1 B, we only have Act 1 A in the EA.

And I'm pretty sure she's not a companion. There is only 3 companions/origins not in the EA that were datamined and she's not one of them.

I for one heavily endorse more fluid alignments as it gives you the impression of actually shaping the world around you, which is (or should be) the whole point of RPG (right?).

Even in BG2 there were a few characters that could swing either way based on the PC's influence and DAO further built on that while dumping the classical alignment tags.

If you really NEED to equip them with tags, what actually classifies Wyll and Gale as neutrals in your opinion? They (especially Wyll) will mostly go out of their way to help everyone you meet, with Wyll even leaving your party should you choose the evil way, sure their backstories are somewhat dodgier but shouldn't "good" be defined by acts rather than "tags"?

Am I looking forward to some "Butt kicking for goodness"? Damn right I am. But do I want a whole party of one dimensional characters limited by their alignment tag? No thanks, I prefer them the way they are now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The point of an RPG is in the name. Role playing.
Regardless of that people thinking the power hungry megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur or the guy who sold his soul to an infernal knowingly are good puzzles me.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Regardless of that people thinking the power hungry megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur or the guy who sold his soul to an infernal knowingly are good puzzles me.

Because people are defined by their deeds, not their [misrepresented] backstories.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, selling yourself to a devil because you want fame and glory as a spoiled noble and constantly being a braggart and proclaiming how you will be the greatest while the obvious consequences of your hubris threaten you and everyone around you are very telling actions indeed.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Yeah and an essential element of roleplaying is actually having an influence on the world surrounding you, which would definitely mean people closest to you first.

Yes, selling yourself to a devil because you want fame and glory as a spoiled noble and constantly being a braggart and proclaiming how you will be the greatest while the obvious consequences of your hubris threaten you and everyone around you are very telling actions indeed.

Obviously you haven't really been paying as much attention as you claim (assuming by you asking for Gale's complete backstory in another thread).

He's just been beaten to the brink of death, lost his eye, lost his comrades, seen the village with lots of innocents burn. Then this woman arrives out of nowhere (well should have been a sign, but our boy isn't exactly the sharpest tool), promises him revenge, he takes her up on her offer, discovers she's a cambion later. He's at least trying to use his ill gotten powers for good from then on, doubting himself constantly whether or not that still makes him a good person - with bragging being just a coping mechanism really. And I'd bet my 2 cents it'sup to the PC to push him either way.

Last edited by Azarielle; 27/10/20 02:06 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon

Because people are defined by their deeds, not their [misrepresented] backstories.

Wyll is just a younger (and way more into fame) Ammon Jerro.

Heroes who makes deal with fiends to gain power to defeat evil. The big difference, Ammon sacrificed everything to defeat an evil entity (and failed because baby) while Wyll is doing it for revenge, power and feel good about himself (including telling you to kill people for him because he's pissed they don't want to answer his question and then blame you for it).

And yet Ammon is neutral evil while people think Wyll is good aligned...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Azarielle
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Yeah and an essential element of roleplaying is actually having an influence on the world surrounding you, which would definitely mean people closest to you first.

Depends on who you're roleplaying doesn't it? I'm not really disagreeing with you but you're reasoning for your assertion is false.

Originally Posted by Azarielle

Obviously you haven't really been paying as much attention as you claim (assuming by you asking for Gale's complete backstory in another thread).

He's just been beaten to the brink of death, lost his eye, lost his comrades, seen the village with lots of innocents burn. Then this woman arrives out of nowhere (well should have been a sign, but our boy isn't exactly the sharpest tool), promises him revenge, he takes her up on her offer, discovers she's a cambion later. He's at least trying to use his ill gotten powers for good from then on, doubting himself constantly whether or not that still makes him a good person - with bragging being just a coping mechanism really. And I'd bet my 2 cents it'sup to the PC to push him either way.

Oh I'm asking for proof by someone that says Gale 100% slept with Mystra herself and other shenanigan's and asking for evidence while I say what he actually tells you. Pursuing vengeance regardless of the cost is also evil FYI and regretting yourself being an idiot is not redemption. Like you said, it's about action, not words.

@Azarhal
That's pretty much par for the course on this forum.

Last edited by Argonaut; 27/10/20 03:42 PM.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon

Their backstories have been created by Larian. They didn't just randomly appear out of nowhere. So firstly, they don't misrepresent anything. And therefore, secondly, their backstories represent their deeds and choices (prior to the PC meeting them). As such, the backstories are absolutely fair game for defining who those characters are.

Originally Posted by Vhaldez
WotC told Larian some time during development that alignments were to be cut, so unless this dialogue is from the new system where companions are supposedly organic it might be a holdover from when you could rigidly shift their alignment. Alternatively it could be that all of this is cut and companions no longer change at all.

This is just not true. Swen himself confirmed in one of his recent interviews that alignment is in the game. The only open question is the extent to which it has any relevance within the game.

addict
addict
As this is the datamining thread, I was just listened to some Kevlor's datamined voiced lines and

either they cut some content or they haven't fully implemented his spying storyline where he works for the Absolute yet.

And me that was expecting him to be a spy for Zariel.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by azarhal
As this is the datamining thread, I was just listened to some Kevlor's datamined voiced lines and

either they cut some content or they haven't fully implemented his spying storyline where he works for the Absolute yet.

Damn my curiosity. Okay, I’m done with this thread. I wish I hadn’t spoiled that detail for myself.

Others beware, this is a spoiler you might prefer to discover in game.

Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by azarhal

No, I think people are misinterpreting that tag.
It checks if Zevlor is aware that the PC is working for the Absolute, not the other way around.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard