Print Thread
#718140 26/10/20 09:46 PM
K
Konek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
My characters are not getting the right amount of hp after lvling up.
Example: my warrior got 16 CON (+3 attribute modifier) with 1d10 hp dice.
On 1st lvl he had 13 hp.
On 2nd lvl he got +9 hp
On 3rd lvl he got +9 hp
On 4th lvl he got +9 hp

Maximum roll should be +13 hp.

Tried on other saves - it is always 9 hp.

Same logic applies to other characters.

checked character creation menu - game informs you about MAX hp of your class per lvl.
There is NO information that this amount will be lower during leveling.

If there is a fix amount of hp for each class (which is an average instead of max or roll) during lvl up after lvl 1, then there should be some kind of information about it.
What is the point of mentioning MAXIMUM class hp dice + con at the beginning of the game?
In this case CON attribute is waaaaaay more important as it may double your hp.

Also - this "average" logic does not apply to enemy NPC. They seems to have max hp per lvl.
Lvl4 paladin had much more hp than my 16 CON 4lvl warrior.

It is an error or misleading information from game developers.

addict
addict
They use the average HP per level rule (there are two methods in 5e).

Fighter example :
Level 1 : 10 +Con
Level 2 : 6 + Con
Level 3 to 20 : 6 +Con each.

So what you are seeing is not incorrect. Both average (6 per level for Fighter) or roll (1d10) are proposed in the rules and used by D&D 5e players.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/fighter

Last edited by Baraz; 27/10/20 03:37 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Well if they're going to use "Average" hp per level, then it should SAY "average" in the description, IMO. Especially given the monsters running around with massive HP, we should get MAXIMUM hp. :P (I mean, really, a level FOUR minotaur with 76 hp? Give me a BREAK. But that's another post.)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by SkyKnight.Prime
Well if they're going to use "Average" hp per level, then it should SAY "average" in the description, IMO. Especially given the monsters running around with massive HP, we should get MAXIMUM hp. :P (I mean, really, a level FOUR minotaur with 76 hp? Give me a BREAK. But that's another post.)

Actually, Minotaurs in 5e have 76 HP. They are monsters with 9d10 HP with 16 Constitution [9x5.5 HP +27 HP].

Anyhow, monsters in 5e also use average dice roll, such as 5.5 per d10 in this case, while the heroic player gets 6 per d10.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/minotaur

It has a Challenge Rating of 3, which is of course not a level. If BG3 currently says they are "level 4", that is sort of their own way of trying to give it a relative power indicator. This should mean that a party of level 4 characters should find a Minotaur challenging or not too easy. If there are many Minotaurs, it therefore should be really hard and dangerous indeed.

Their main weakness is low Dexterity and AC (in 5e anyhow) : so Grease, Ray of Ice, etc. Otherwise, they charge/gore you for a lot of damage.
Bane (divine spell) should also work well on them.

Last edited by Baraz; 27/10/20 05:34 AM.
K
Konek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Baraz
They use the average HP per level rule (there are two methods in 5e).

Fighter example :
Level 1 : 10 +Con
Level 2 : 6 + Con
Level 3 to 20 : 6 +Con each.

So what you are seeing is not incorrect. Both average (6 per level for Fighter) or roll (1d10) are proposed in the rules and used by D&D 5e players.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/fighter

As I mentioned in my first post (you probably missed it) - I know this is an average of total hp pool per lvl.

The problem is that this information is nowhere to be found in the game.
On character creation menu - game informs you about MAX hp of your class / per lvl.

On the top of that (as I mentioned) - your enemies and NPC got max hp per lvl.
lvl 4 human paladin had over (around) 48hp, which is impossible even with 18 CON (I believe he had 14), when you apply the 'average' hp distribution on lvl 2,3,4.

Last edited by Konek; 27/10/20 01:49 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard