Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Waltc Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just a quick praise post. Tried HDR under DX11 (don't think it works under Vulkan) and right now it's the best HDR displaying game I own. I have a 50th Ann Ed 5700XT from AMD and a 4k BenQ EW-3270U HDR10 monitor and the BG3 HDR calibration controls work better than in any other game I have. Indeed, in most games with a purported HDR mode, HDR looks really washed out and dull compared to normal mode--but not BG3! The game looks best in HDR mode, for a change. Colors are as vivid and sharp as in normal mode, but they are displayed with more range and just look better--the difference is immediately noticeable. The greens are deeper in the foliage, everything is gorgeous--nothing unreal or gaudy about it.

If you have an HDR GPU and monitor (my monitor and GPU are DP 1.4 devices and I use a Vesa-certified DP 1.4, 8k cable) then fire up the DX11 version--after turning on HDR in Win10 display properties first, of course. Then go to Options/Video and hit the "HDR calibration" button that will only appear after you turn on HDR in Windows10 (before running the game, of course.) Enjoy--what a nice surprise! Thanks, Larian!

Baldur's Gate never looked so good...;) I will, henceforth, be running BG3 in HDR mode, only!

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
veteran
veteran
This might be a little off topic, but what driver for that RX 5700 XT are you using? I've had nothing but trouble with mine.

addict
addict
*cries in toaster PC*

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

journeyman
journeyman
So, I’ve had zero reason to buy an hdr monitor, but if more people praise this game at release I think it’d definitely sway me.

stranger
stranger
Excellent find, it really work great !

R
R
I tried it on an 65" LG CX and was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY!

N
stranger
stranger
N
Plus one for this. I'm running on a 1080 ti connected to a samsung hdtv. DX11 with HDR is just plain gorgeous. I hope they support HDR with Vulkan as well. Maybe by launch time, or in a future update. Either way, incredibly happy with how beautiful this game is in HDR.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't trust the Windows 10 HDR implementation and most PC monitors can't do HDR properly. I just recently was looking for a new monitor, that has both great color gamut range, high refresh rate and resolution, low latency and won't burn in quickly; and there's none. The best of the best can cover about 80% maybe out of 100% gamut, while still having the rest of latency/refresh specs. The tech isn't there yet. Unless you go for color gamut alone, and forget the latency parts. Can't be both. Yet.

I won't say that isn't nice to have this option in BG3 or doesn't look great; it's better than nothing and not everyone is looking for perfection: will be less details in dark scenes, but will work somehow.

Here is a quote from a very good review of the current best HDR gaming monitors:
"Although HDR is extremely common on TVs, it's just starting to gain popularity on monitors. Unfortunately, most monitors are a few years behind TVs when it comes to HDR performance. Despite this, there are a few monitors that deliver a decent HDR gaming experience. As more and more games support HDR, we expect the demand for good HDR monitors to increase drastically over the next few years."
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

I just manually adjust everything using this Reshade variant: GShade "GShade is a highly modified ReShade fork & package with a selectively network-unlocked depth buffer and numerous improvements"
https://github.com/Mortalitas/GShade
Reshade is fine as well, but some games like Black Desert Online and others have anti-hack protections that won't allow Reshade, because the network part. So I have all my custom settings in GShade, and works fine with BG3 in Dx11 mode. I don't have much on, just a bit of sharpen and such, the colors are already very well done (on highest settings at least).

So in case you don't have HDR or don't like the results, GShade or Reshade is an option as well to fine tweak graphics details further.

Edit: forgot to add that the main reason I'm using this in BG3 is to make screenshots through this, since BG3 has no screenshot function (yet), also to display FPS and maybe the clock, though a bit of sharpen filter helps as well.

Last edited by LoneSky; 12/12/20 03:11 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Absolutely agree.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Is there a HDR mode option in the game settings? I never saw it.
Though I'm using a non-HDR monitor, I saw a grey HDR option in the settings of many other games; but I didn't see it in BG3, Dx11 or vulkan.
Where do you guys do it... a MOD?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by macadami
So, I’ve had zero reason to buy an hdr monitor, but if more people praise this game at release I think it’d definitely sway me.
Same here. Maybe.
I have an excellent G-Sync 165hz monitor, arguably what used to considered one of the very best for gaming at the time (Asus ROG PG279q) ... Only, it just pre-dates 10-bit HDR becoming a thing.
I laso have a 4K HDR Samsung TV, but after few tries I decided I like my monitor a lot more, HDR or not.

It's definitely a feature I will keep an eye on in the future, when I decide the next upgrade, but right now I don't feel it's even remotely worth it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
K
Kal Offline
stranger
stranger
K
The HDR options are only there if you launch the game in DX11 mode (not the default Vulkan mode.)

Also FYI the HDR calibration has been broken since patch 9 - you just get a black screen for the 2nd set of calibration options (contrast and paperwhite) so you can't actually see what your changes are doing.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Relampago
I tried it on an 65" LG CX and was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY!
ohhhhhh nice!!

I'm running my i7 10700k / 3080 OC to my 65" C1 in the lounge (my toaster 980Ti machine is in the office for KB+M), controller and big HDR the life for this Half-Orc on release!!

My only qualm, my PC says it's not up to standard for Windows 11 (the pre-checking tool is red flagging something in the bios or something), hopefully get this sorted in next couple weeks!!

I have a lapdesk that's pretty mint, but I've played all the other Larian games on controller - they are masters of controller feel in RPGs.

Last edited by IndySandbagTrick; 02/07/23 10:50 AM.

New Zealand's finest Gith with a dark urge for KFC XX
apprentice
apprentice
Agreed on everything.

It was game changing for me after I bought an Alienware AW3423DW monitor earlier this year. Having the game UltraWide + HDR is the only way I can ever play this now.

I've also connected it to my 77" LG OLED, and while its stunning, having a cable run across the room is not super ideal. It's also not the most comfortable setup, so I guess I'll have to "tough it out" with the Alienware lol.

If you have auto hdr in win 11, does it enable hdr automatically in games? I would assume so, but still.

V
stranger
stranger
V
I have HDR enabled in the win11 settings and I did get the HDR button in the video options when I started the final release. It only works in DX11 just as in the EA, at least for me. It works perfect and the game looks just awesome!!

I have a LG 34GN850 ,3070 RTX and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor. It work perfect with everything on max.

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
Maybe it's my monitor but I think the HDR sucks in this game. It doesn't look like HDR at all to me.

old hand
old hand
I'm playing with HDR and max settings on my 4K LGC1 55". Game looks amazing even without any ray tracing.

Some areas like waukeens rest though, the fire effects kill my performance. Ended up overclocking my 3080 Ti a bit to +150 core and +500 mem just for this game, and I'm going to upgrade my 13600K to a 14th gen when they drop cos why not.

Skipping RTX 4000 series because they cost way too much.

I have buyers remorse still for not having bought a C2 instead, 2 months later and I had enough money, LGC2 55" was £1300 on launch and the C1 dropped to £899 so I got the C1.

CPU wise, anything above the x600K does exactly zero at 4K as do CPU clockspeeds due to how heavily GPU bottlenecked you are, but since I plan to get a 5090 next year or whenever, I might get a 14900K soon because I plan to keep my DDR4 for as long as possible.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 10/08/23 01:39 PM.
old hand
old hand
For people looking for 'HDR monitors' - thats where you're doing it wrong.

For a normal desktop build - LGC2 42" is what you want. No monitor comes close, you just have to put up with using a remote to turn it on and off.

Also it costs less than monitors made using the same panel, e.g. when I bought my C1 55" for £899, Gigabyte were charging £1050 for a 48" monitor with the same screen. Same for Asus and Alienware / Dell currently using C2 panels in their higher end minitors.

If you're rich you get the G model instead, G3 is bloody expensive but the best screen money can buy.

Oh but if you get a 4K screen you also have to spend a lot on the GPU so that can be a problem.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 10/08/23 09:02 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard