Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
The hook hoor and minotaur fight was aweful. They literally just jump around the map every single turn because it is basically the best option.

C
CMF Offline
C
I actually avoided all the underdark fights the first play through because it was too hard. I went back in my second play through and better optimized my team and skills and I was able to fight all of those fights without cheesing as some complain. Mostly ranged, but also had one in melee range that kept it occupied as much as possible. Mino's still downed 2 of my allies before I could finish them, but hook horrors were fairly easy with proper damage. The only surface I used was a grease spell on the remaining minotaur that luckily made it fall prone and bought me enough time to help my downed allies for a turn.

As far as the jump slamming by the horrors and minotaurs, it is a little excessive, but it wasn't every round, a few good saving throws and good AC to avoid the charge/knock down damage by the minos helped a lot. Maybe applying an internal cooldown for those skills would reduce the over aggressive use but still allow them to be a threat.

Last edited by CMF; 29/10/20 02:20 AM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Oh, don't get me wrong, I beat the fight easy, just the jump thing is absolutely silly and not in actual DnD rules at all.

C
CMF Offline
C
Couldn't the DM say something like "the hook horror rears back and glares at you...in an instant it leaps through the air and attempts to tackle you. Roll a saving throwing on...dex...to see if you get knocked prone...you failed, you are knocked to the ground taking....10 dmg as it charges into your chest and sweeps at your legs as it lands on the ground..."

Something like that....just because it isn't a specific attack, can't you adapt and use narrative?

I pick up a rock and throw it at the minotaur's eye....roll dex to see if you hit your intended mark...you hit....roll to see dmg.....you do enough damage to blind the minotaur on the left side of his vision....I keep strafing to the left to stay out of the minotaur's site, attempting to dodge his oncoming attacks....the minotaur now has a -1 to hit chance as it flails around in pain and anger.

Or are all your fights in D&D...I attack...I roll...I hit....I roll...I did 8 dmg...your turn....

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
If you want monster just jumping on you all the time, go play Mario brothers. That's what those fights devolve into. It's neither interesting nore balanced by the rule at all. I have DMed DnD since 1st ed ADnD, and no, blatently making up your own combat rules for an established creature as a normal thing is bad DMing, not adding flavor.

Last edited by Dreygor6091; 29/10/20 02:59 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CMF
Couldn't the DM say something like "the hook horror rears back and glares at you...in an instant it leaps through the air and attempts to tackle you. Roll a saving throwing on...dex...to see if you get knocked prone...you failed, you are knocked to the ground taking....10 dmg as it charges into your chest and sweeps at your legs as it lands on the ground..."

Something like that....just because it isn't a specific attack, can't you adapt and use narrative?

I pick up a rock and throw it at the minotaur's eye....roll dex to see if you hit your intended mark...you hit....roll to see dmg.....you do enough damage to blind the minotaur on the left side of his vision....I keep strafing to the left to stay out of the minotaur's site, attempting to dodge his oncoming attacks....the minotaur now has a -1 to hit chance as it flails around in pain and anger.

Or are all your fights in D&D...I attack...I roll...I hit....I roll...I did 8 dmg...your turn....

Could the DM do that? Of course they could.

A DM could also say that aliens beam down and start a break dance competition with the Minos. Might even be fun for one single incident or a certain type of D&D group, especially if that was the expectation for that DM. Doesn't mean it would make for a good game if someone is expecting to play by the rules.

The expectation for *this* DM (referring to the BG 3 AI DM) is that it will follow the rules for a consistent approach to the game and have faith that for all its negatives, 5e is the most balanced version of D&D yet with 6+ years of playtesting behind it. BG AI isn't DMing for one group, it's DMing for every group and its been advertised as trying to be faithful to the rules of 5e. So that's what we expect the DM to do.

Originally Posted by Dreygor6091
Please, for the love of god, use the dnd rules if you are going to make a dnd game. Jump DOES NOT DO DAMAGE AND KNOCK PEOPLE PRONE, 4th lvl characters do not get two attacks a round without using action surge which is only usable once per short rest. High ground doesn't give advantage. Read the core rule books and use them. Nothing makes a game more frustrating than one that cheats the rules as written.

Agreed again imersion was destroyed for me in this game so far.. as soon as i saw all these crazy rules i just lost interest.. Those friggin phase spiders were the last straw for me.. teleporting, poison aoe shooting insanity... wtrf.

Yeah i would have refunded if i could have after that.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard