Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Larian has, at this point, f'd themselves with one or more groups of players. That said, there was no way around that situation to some extent. I think they chose a half-hearted middle ground and have alienated more than they could/should have. No matter what they did there was going to be a group that raged against the game. If they had gone RAW 5e then the DOS1/2 fans would have been mad it wasn't DOS at all. If they had gone full DOS with Faerun plastered overtop then the DnD crowd would have been even more inflamed. They tried to go down the middle and kind of ended up making both sides annoyed in different ways. The people that loved DOS for it's mechanics and action economy miss it and many don't like the limited action mechanics that Larian's 5e implementation presents. The 5e crowd dislike how they have made so many changes to what is objectively a very well balanced rule set and created balance problems left and right which they don't seem to have any interest in correcting. I don't think either side is right or wrong, personally I'm on the 5e team.

At this point there isn't a way they can make things right entirely. If they convert the entire ruleset to 5e RAW they are going to really piss off the DOS crowd, if they swing more to DOS they're going to piss off the 5e crowd. I think they would have been better served starting from a more pure 5e ruleset and tweaking things a little to feel somewhat more like DOS as the EA progressed.

I've considered seeking a refund, honestly. I fully expect the game to be more or less, from a rules/gameplay perspective at least, unchanged from it's current state at release. I'm hoping that the modding community will add a more pure 5e experience to the game. I don't see myself enjoying it the way it is. I literally despise the ground effects they have going on.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Duriel15
I've considered seeking a refund, honestly. I fully expect the game to be more or less, from a rules/gameplay perspective at least, unchanged from it's current state at release. I'm hoping that the modding community will add a more pure 5e experience to the game. I don't see myself enjoying it the way it is. I literally despise the ground effects they have going on.

If it comes to mods that is going to happen, there is already something available now and you'll have your pick. Even if Larian does their 5e thing, mods will still give you more options.

https://github.com/ZerdBG3/DnD-Rebalancing/blob/main/Features.md

Last edited by Horrorscope; 28/10/20 12:33 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Duriel15
Larian has, at this point, f'd themselves with one or more groups of players. That said, there was no way around that situation to some extent. I think they chose a half-hearted middle ground and have alienated more than they could/should have. No matter what they did there was going to be a group that raged against the game. If they had gone RAW 5e then the DOS1/2 fans would have been mad it wasn't DOS at all. If they had gone full DOS with Faerun plastered overtop then the DnD crowd would have been even more inflamed. They tried to go down the middle and kind of ended up making both sides annoyed in different ways.

I mean the game is called BG3. Nothing to do with DOS to begin with. As far as I've seen no one is saying there's not enough DOS in here. It's more people claiming there's not enough D&D in their DOS game.

For some it's a major issue for me it's few details but I think they would be better of staying faithful to D&D. DOS fans would have never realised there's problem somewhere ^^.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
First off, the two are barely comparable in many departments. Solasta is a single player game and they dont have nearly the same resources as BG3 crew. They are hardly competitors unless you are looking at the "EA buying power" market

Secondly, they are both 5e games coming out around the same time after no product existing prior, these are the games that decide if more D&D products get made (more so Larian but Solasta could just do well enough to earn copycats)

Thirdly, it is inevitable that they will be compared. Both games should be learning freom eachothers EA where avail. We dont need to copy things from Solasta but we can look at where they successfully applied a 5e ruleset and ask "why not Larian too?" For example, spell ranges/longbow ranges sniped to 60ft. This is a bit much when some spells had a baseline distance of 120ft. Ready action is another feature Solasta did well, similar things could easily be done with BG3 UI with a popup similar to Hex's. The fact taht Solasta shows dice all over the place is huge too, BG3 needs to show more dice rolls or at least have some setting option that allows "verbose mode" or something of the sort rather than just "hit, mis, save, fail"

Aside from the obvious superior artwork, I like how BG3 did reactions better. You can toggle what you want to autocast for reaction, thats much more intuitive than Solastas endless popups. I like how BG3 is taking some risks with things like "dip" and weapon based short rest attacks, I'd like to see more homebrewed "shortrest" stuff and less arbitrary homebrew of feats and class abilities into every character. Make players build for their bonus actions like they do in 5e by taking shieldmaster or multiclassing into rouge or just more interaction with gear. I like BG3's selection of races already, Solastas choices feel vanilla AF while Larian has some nice flavorful stuff like Gith, Tiefs, Drow.

Last edited by pill0ws; 28/10/20 01:00 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard