Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
On character creation using the current D&D rulebook you should have the option to roll your attributes using the 4-1x6 method. This for those who are unfamiliar with D&D means instead of being give 27 points to distribute on your class, essentially every single person is created equal, you roll four six sided dice and discard the lowest roll giving you a number between 3-18. You do this six times so you have a number for each attribute which you can apply as required.

This essentially means you can be extremely gifed in more than one attribute (18). At the same time you may have to distribute a 3 into a lesser attribute making you dumb as a rock or weak as a kitten. This for me is a big part of the D&D experience and prevents a generic "one size fits all" approach.

veteran
veteran
It should be an option, sure. Maybe you only get to roll once, then you can choose its results or use point-buy...but eh you could also just be allowed to roll infinitely. It's not the worst thing to let players be a bit overpowered if they want to roll many times.

I'm assuming that, even if Larian eventually plans on implementing this, they're only allowing point-buy for EA balance testing purposes.

veteran
veteran
I really hope they'll change their stupid system.
Why the hell can't I have 18 in any abilities and why am I stuck at 8......
Let me choose and let me roll.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I forgot to mention this allows you to realistically use ANY race for ANY class. I mean a starting +15 in strength as a non-gith/dwarf fighter bums me out.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
It should be an option, sure. Maybe you only get to roll once, then you can choose its results or use point-buy...but eh you could also just be allowed to roll infinitely. It's not the worst thing to let players be a bit overpowered if they want to roll many times.

I'm assuming that, even if Larian eventually plans on implementing this, they're only allowing point-buy for EA balance testing purposes.

I mean re-rolls would just involve you going back and forward though the creator, in other D&D game like TOEE (which is very underrated imo) re-rolls were counted and put on your skill sheet. To roll a perfect 18 in more than 2-3 is extremely rare anyway. If they made you roll each stat one at a time so it took say a minute to roll though them it would be really tedious to roll say 30 times. This would discourage spam rolling god stats which would probably take 15000 rolls anyway.

stranger
stranger
Yes, let me roll until I'm a super being! Doesn't matter that it totally imbalances the party and makes my companions superfluous because I'm better at everything anyway!

While they're at it, why don't they just let us start at level 10!?
I don't like being a level 1 noob. My GM let's us start at a higher level!

C'mon! They just have to rebalance the entire game around me wanting to be an all powerful god! Can't be that hard!

/s

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by KainLexington
Yes, let me roll until I'm a super being! Doesn't matter that it totally imbalances the party and makes my companions superfluous because I'm better at everything anyway!

C'mon! They just have to rebalance the entire game around me wanting to be an all powerful god! Can't be that hard!

/s

I hear what you are saying, but there is nothing wrong with people playing the game in a way that is fun for them. More options is never a bad thing as long as it doesn't take away from the way you want to play the game.

Last edited by Thrandarian; 27/10/20 07:22 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KainLexington

/s

They'd still be better than you for many reasons : voices, quests, background wink

Originally Posted by Thrandarian

I hear what you are saying, but there is nothing wrong with people playing the game in a way that is fun for them.

This

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/10/20 07:41 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
My problem with this isn't really dice rolling, it's the "I want dice rolling so I can have a more powerful character".
I doubt a lot a people advocating for dice rolling actually want the random element, they don't want to end up with a character that's weaker than the companions. They would just reroll until they get the result they want.

So what they're asking for is basically equal to "give me more points to distribute!"
And that's a thing better left to mods than to be a core part of the game.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
i hope they never add this.
Or maybe add some kind of hybrid roll that ensures you stay with in 27 point buy possible stats, and it just distributes them randomly. Then all these people claiming they want it for some roleplay/randomized reason will show their colors when they cant make game breaking super characters.

I might add i wouldnt mind if they removed point buy and added standard array however. Maybe controversial but it might make certain race selection considerations a little more dynamic.

Yep roll for atributes

I feel like this was discussed to death in another thread already. I'd be more than happy with the option as long as it's either or. I wouldn't mind rolling for six ability scores and then deciding where to put each roll, but I really don't want to see a system like BG2 where you roll first and then can redistribute the points for epic min-maxing.

M
M
As the title of this game is Baldur's Gate 3, rolling for attributes seems like a no-brainer as it was the system elected for the predecessors. As a bare minimum, I would hope that it is at least offered as an alternative to Point Buy.

apprentice
apprentice
I would also like to see this added. Opening up new race/class combinations without being suboptimal is great. I still don't get people worrying about how others enjoy playing games.

In an ideal world (to me), the options will exist for Rolling, Point Buy, and Standard array at launch, and in Multiplayer the host can control what people use.

veteran
veteran
Optional dice roll for stats is a confirmed upcoming feature, according to Swen Vincke.
I personally think it's garbage, exactly like "random roll for HP at level up", but more power to people who want to use this stuff, I guess.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really hope they'll change their stupid system.
Why the hell can't I have 18 in any abilities and why am I stuck at 8......
Let me choose and let me roll.

That's... the standard 5th edition system?
Stats (pardon, "abilities") without racial modifications are capped at 15, even if you roll for them. And then they can be increased to a max of 20 over time levelling up.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
M
M
Originally Posted by Tuco

Stats (pardon, "abilities") without racial modifications are capped at 15, even if you roll for them. And then they can be increased to a max of 20 over time levelling up.

20 is only the cap from increases from Feats or Ability Score increases tied to leveling up, there are plenty of items in 5e (and previous editions) that allow you to increase it further - 30 is the hard cap.
Also 15 is not the cap when rolling, it's only the cap when using Point Buy or Standard Array.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Mxiio

20 is only the cap from increases from Feats or Ability Score increases tied to leveling up, there are plenty of items in 5e (and previous editions) that allow you to increase it further - 30 is the hard cap.
Also 15 is not the cap when rolling, it's only the cap when using Point Buy or Standard Array.

Was going to say this, but yeah unless whomever you played with before had homebrew in place limiting the max roll to 15 that's not the case RAW at least.

veteran
veteran
20 is only the cap from increases from Feats or Ability Score increases tied to leveling up, there are plenty of items in 5e (and previous editions) that allow you to increase it further

I don't count equipment as part of your basic stats.

Well, that's... pretty fucking stupid, then.
Now I think I dislike the idea of rolling for stats even more.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/10/20 10:01 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
M
M
20 is only the cap from increases from Feats or Ability Score increases tied to leveling up, there are plenty of items in 5e (and previous editions) that allow you to increase it further

I don't count equipment as part of your basic stats.

Not talking about equipment - there are several books you can read to gain a permanent +1 to an attribute, there are magic beans you can plant and eat the fruit from with a chance to either blow up (10d8 force) or gain a permanent increase to an attribute just to name a few.

veteran
veteran
Rolling is awesome. Solasta made look like tons of fun

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
H
stranger
stranger
H
I've checked that approach in Solasta. What a chore! Just sit there and re-roll for better stats. Such an inspiring feature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard