Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Nyanko Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
I think if would be nice if wizards could create scrolls for their party members, even if it costs a lot of money and needs rare ingredients. It would be lore friendly.

Last edited by Nyanko; 27/10/20 08:47 AM.
addict
addict
You can copy existing scrolls right now so I'm sure that when crafting is fully implemented, we will be able to do loremaster task and smithing etc.

N
Nyanko Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Yes, I know. But I am asking to be able to do the opposite, writing scrolls from your pool of spells. Hope it's in at some point. Even if it might screw balancing. But if they make it kind of expensive, should work fine.

M
M
It was possible for Bards in Baldur's Gate 2 and Baldur's Gate 1 Siege of Dragonspear had a cloak that allowed creating scrolls once a day.
However, I do not think there is a system in 5e that supports this, it would be more homebrew - besides Scrolls are so damn common in EA I cannot imagine it would be worth the effort.

I would add that I absolutely hate the fact that scrolls are common in BG3 and can be used by anyone. It makes spell slots seem almost irrelevant and prepared spells are even less of a tactical exercise since you can just change them on the fly out of combat.
In BG1 and BG2, atleast you lost your spell slots when you changed the spells you prepared forcing you to have a rest. Don't get me wrong, I love finding a magical item, scroll or potion, but finding them littered all over the place takes the excitement right out of the experience and removes all sense of danger.

Last edited by Mxiio; 27/10/20 10:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
On topic:
Feel free to corect me ... but as i understand it, from warious topics about scrolls and mages learning from those scrolls ... right now scrolls are buged (or not done w/e) since every class can use scrolls just to expand his spell slots ...
Meaning:
Cleric can only use scrolls with cleric spells.
Wizzard can only use scrolls with wizards spells.
etc.

Meaning there is not much point in creating scrolls ... especialy if creating one will (expect other reagents) consume related spell slot to add required magic.
Since those character who can use them usualy allready have them in spellbook. :-/

Originally Posted by Vhaldez
You can copy existing scrolls right now

Whaaaaaat?
How?!
And do you mean in BG3 or tabletop? laugh

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
You can copy existing scrolls right now
Whaaaaaat?
How?!
And do you mean in BG3 or tabletop? laugh
Bump laugh

old hand
old hand
Slight miscommunication I think.

Vhaldez was just pointing out that you can copy a scroll into your spell book right now, and extrapolating that it's likely that you'll be able to create scrolls from your known spells once we have a proper crafting system. They weren't implying that we can actually create scrolls yet.

The value in being able to write scrolls only really exists when you have limited access to long resting, and/or pressing time limits that discourage it, interspersed with other story elements that give you extended periods of downtime or less pressing adventuring days where you can afford to sink resource into scroll creation. In BG3's current system, there would be no real value to creating scrolls, since you can rest at any time to restore your resources completely.

The game will need to evolve and change in whatever ways it is going to before we can make any real calls on how useful or not this would be.

Last edited by Niara; 08/09/21 01:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
Thanks for clarification, but ... I dare to disagree with you ...
I would devalue other aspects of game without any doubt, but as long as everyone can use scrolls, they still have value even with unlimited resting imho. O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/09/21 04:59 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard