Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jhelzei Offline OP
OP Offline
So my elven ranger got into the goblin camp by making nice to the houndmaster. Then we ran into Priestess Gut, and we ambushed her from the rafters with Silence and lots of arrows. This pattern continued throughout the entire camp/temple, with few words exchanged between the party, the goblins and their leaders. Ambush was the rule of the day.

Was that such a great idea? Did I miss out on a bunch of great dialog? I know there is no XP at this point in early access for successful dialog checks, so that's probably the best way to maximize my level.

One potential bug I ran into was that the tiefling warlord knocked Halsin into a chasm, so we were unable to talk to him about his research or try to get healed. I eventually got more info by going back to the druid grove and doing some research.

Last edited by Jhelzei; 27/10/20 10:51 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I mean I wouldn't call it either a bad or good idea. It's just one way to deal with the goblin camp, in a future playthrough you could try another route.
The beauty of D&D is that sometimes you try to do one thing and whoops! Suddenly an important NPC died! So don't worry too much about Halsin.

vel Offline
You'll be missing a bunch of backstory and Absolute related plot by skipping all dialog. You get the most out of it with an evil playthrough (side with the drow) but even if you're doing a "good" / lawful playthrough you can talk to the various NPCs before assassinating.

N
old hand
old hand
N
As for the main plot characters, you can still get some info from them when you use talk to the dead spell. It will update your journal on important topics.

It's a Larian game. One of their principle goals is to allow the entire campaign to be still playable and achievable even if you kill every single creature on your path.

Last edited by Nyanko; 27/10/20 01:22 PM.
S
Banned
Banned
S
Exterminating vermin is always the right thing to do.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I robbed the powder store and basically guy fawked the map with a cantrip at which point my CPU got 45 degrees hotter and almost exploded in RL.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
I robbed the powder store and basically guy fawked the map with a cantrip at which point my CPU got 45 degrees hotter and almost exploded in RL.

I blew that room up as is. But then brought a load of barrels in and placed them around in the bugbear worship room. Had one charc in there in the rafters waiting for combat to begin in the drow
room with my other 3. So killed both bosses off at the same time.

Glut was already dead for trying to sleep potion me.

Love and sausages xx
Jhelzei Offline OP
OP Offline
Just to be clear, Halsin is beyond Speak With Dead. The stupid tiefling blew him completely off the map into the Outer Void. Got no idea where his corpse is. But the Halsin related quest cleared when I did some recon at the Druid Grove.

I found a secret way into the rafters of the 'Defiled Temple' and it just seemed like too good of an opportunity to ambush the HIgh Priestess. Dialog can be very entertaining (especially done Larian style), but you're giving up a huge advantage by revealing yourself and not positioning properly before combat begins.

And Barrelmancy is a magical skill beyond my talents. Turned all the little buttheads into pincushions.

Which brings up another question. Why is the vampire rogue a better archer than my elven ranger? He does considerably more damage with a ranged sneak attack than my boring vanilla attack.

Last edited by Jhelzei; 28/10/20 01:40 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Jhelzei
Which brings up another question. Why is the vampire rogue a better archer than my elven ranger? He does considerably more damage with a ranged sneak attack than my boring vanilla attack.

If you both have the same shortbow and the same dex, you roll the same damage for vanilla attack. With sneak attack, the rogue gets sneak attack damage dices on top of that if he has advantage.

Pick Hunter with colossus slayer if you want to deal more on a Ranger or use the hunter's mark spell.

apprentice
apprentice
This is why I always do an evil run after my instinctual good one. My 1st run was goblin genocide because my beastly hero has a 0 tolerance policy. But my second run was all up in that absolute goodness and there is a lot of cool interactions to be had

Tuuch! Tuuch! Tuuch!

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard