Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
veteran
veteran
W
A quick aside, in a recent session of “table top” (Google hangouts) our DM has us fight in a room that was quickly catching on fire.

I was so happy that after 15 levels I finally had an opportunity to use my Control Flames cantrip. It was a fun mechanic to add pressure to the battle.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I tried pathfinder.
The writing was pretty stereotypical and the gameplay/graphics left much to be desired.
I pretty much quit when I was out "exploring" after saving that inn from raiders.

Solasta just seems a little a bit the same thing.
Maybe I am a sucker for pretty games and streamlined gameplay.

But I would sooner play BG3 or DOS2 than those two games.

Originally Posted by macadami
Originally Posted by Sloane Hardtower
Solasta has terrible graphics and is very linear but does 5e right and the fights are more fun. What BG3 could learn from it.
1. Auto-party Jump
2. Dodge, Ready, Reactions and Disengage
3. Self-Built party that still has roleplaying and interaction
4. World map, random encounters, limited camps
5.Rolling For stats. Though I know it throws off balance horribly as people will roll 2000 times for their ideal as many 18s as possible.
6. Unique feats and Subclasses for the setting. Green mage was very fun to play.
7. NO GROUND EFFECTS EVERYWHERE!!!!!

1. No, different strength equals different jump heights and distances which is used to lock off secret areas and means an 8 str character can’t just leap to the top a mountain for high ground advantage.
2. More complexity for an already complex game that would add what exactly other than being more like DND? Their goal isn’t a die hard dnd replica, its a fun and enjoyable game that millions will love, not just dnd players.
3. They have already said mercenaries will be available
4. There is a world map already in the game you can see....random encounters if they happen at all(bg2 did not have them) then they will surely appear when traveling over the world map to different areas. This is normal difficulty, limited rest may be added or will be saved for harder difficulties.
5. No, people would just install auto rollers and cheese through the game. Just mod your save file or download a hack if normal limits make it too hard for you.
6. The more they add or change from standard dnd the more complaints they seem to receive....can’t have your cake and eat it to.
7. Without a detailed Matt Mercer style map, how would your average DM really show ground effects? This isn’t a ‘not in my dnd’ issue, it’s just something 90% of people do not have the resources to include in their games. It’s a great idea, adds tons to combat and terrain in general, and would be way more prevalent in tabletop except for the complexity of using it.

Wow, I disagree with most (if not all) of what you said, macdami.
1. Do characters with different strength scores have different limitations? Sure, but Larian already isn't using strict D&D jumping rules anyways (I think it is handwaved as being, you have a constant jump spell on you due to mindflayer parasite). I believe you said something along the lines of "can't have your cake and eat it too".
2. Well for a game that toutes that it is not DOS3, but instead a D&D 5e game, it probably should stick to the rules wherever possible. This one obviously, isn't that difficult to implement if a team with 17 people managed to make it happen.
3. Larian Studios has said alot of things, I take whatever they say will happen with a grain of salt.
4. I am fairly certain that BG2 had random encounters depending upon where you rested.
5. How is installing auto rollers any different from modding your save file or downloading a hack?
6. This is possibly the only thing that I might agree with you on; I don't want to see any unique feats or subclasses until we have all the subclasses and feats from all published D&D 5e sourcebooks (mainly Xanthar's Guide to Everything, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and Sword Coast Adventure GUide).
7. The ground effects are too much of a deviation from D&D 5e rules. The way I see it, there are already published spells that create "ground effects" such as the create bonfire Cantrip. There is no need to modify existing spells such as firebolt to create "ground effects". If there doesn't exist a pre-published spell that does a "ground effect" they want, they should create a new cantrip that creates it, not modify existing spells.

journeyman
journeyman
If you're this down about the game why post? This is incredibly passive aggressive and childish.

Originally Posted by Eddiar
I tried pathfinder.
The writing was pretty stereotypical and the gameplay/graphics left much to be desired.
I pretty much quit when I was out "exploring" after saving that inn from raiders.

Same.
I haven't tried Solasta (but plan to get it at some point), but I backed Pathfinder and played it since release, but never managed to get into the game. I tried coming back to it about 4-5 times (about 20 hours total), with last one being after they released their Enhanced Edition. I loved the classes and mechanics, but absolutely hated the writing, the companions, and the art style, which are all major deal breakers for me. So yeah, I disagree with OP.
Give me a game like Baldur's Gate 3 any day.

Last edited by Arideya; 28/10/20 04:26 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
vel Offline OP
OP Offline
Just want to point out that Swen @ Larian even tweeted about Solasta when it came out. That's quite standup and admirable to promote a competitor, even if a minor one.

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1318641976556855297?s=20

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vel
Just want to point out that Swen @ Larian even tweeted about Solasta when it came out. That's quite standup and admirable to promote a competitor, even if a minor one.

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1318641976556855297?s=20

I don't know how can they be viewed as competitors; it's not something one has to pick over the other. Buy both games if you like them, just don't be upset after, there are many sources to find out about the dirty secrets of a game these days.

S
Banned
Banned
S
PF is the true successor to the BG series though.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Don't write off Obsidian just yet. They have said (a) RTwP still has a place in cRPGs and that they have not walked away from RTwP; and (b) several of their devs including senior devs remain interested in the PoE franchise and making another game, but they are just burned out from PoE for now and need to go do other things for a bit before returning to a possible future PoE game.

Ah, that's good to hear. I thought they just considered PoE(2) to not be as successful as they had expected and moved to another niche - like Danielbda said, Avowed is set in the same universe as PoE. Honestly, I'm curious about Avowed - now the "Bethesda-style open world RPG" is just that - Bethesda. Lots of space for competition. I just hope they didn't put RTwP cRPGs on "forever hiatus". It'd like it if they alternated between PoE and Avowed entries. It would give us a nice variety and pacing of the releases and Obsidian some time to regenerate from a series, step back and think what worked in the previous entry. Ideally. :P

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Don't write off Obsidian just yet. They have said (a) RTwP still has a place in cRPGs and that they have not walked away from RTwP; and (b) several of their devs including senior devs remain interested in the PoE franchise and making another game, but they are just burned out from PoE for now and need to go do other things for a bit before returning to a possible future PoE game.

Ah, that's good to hear. I thought they just considered PoE(2) to not be as successful as they had expected and moved to another niche - like Danielbda said, Avowed is set in the same universe as PoE. Honestly, I'm curious about Avowed - now the "Bethesda-style open world RPG" is just that - Bethesda. Lots of space for competition. I just hope they didn't put RTwP cRPGs on "forever hiatus". It'd like it if they alternated between PoE and Avowed entries. It would give us a nice variety and pacing of the releases and Obsidian some time to regenerate from a series, step back and think what worked in the previous entry. Ideally. :P

Yeah same here. I love old-school cRPGs but I also like playing RPGs like Avowed. Hopefully Avowed will be more like Witcher 3 than Skyrim (including with a third-person option), with all the great storytelling and character development that Obsidian is known for.

Originally Posted by Arideya
I tried pathfinder.

Same.
I haven't tried Solasta (but plan to get it at some point), but I backed Pathfinder and played it since release, but never managed to get into the game. I tried coming back to it about 4-5 times (about 20 hours total), with last one being after they released their Enhanced Edition. I loved the classes and mechanics, but absolutely hated the writing, the companions, and the art style, which are all major deal breakers for me. So yeah, I disagree with OP.

Aw, I like most of the Pathfinder characters. Well, except the bard. I had to park her ass. You can't really get rid of her though since she is the 'narrator' of the story even if she isn't in your party.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by vel
Given the underwhelming latest patch (is Larian listening to any of the gameplay feedback?!?!)

What were you expecting? It’s not been a few weeks. Larion can’t just flip a switch to implement all of the changes they plan on making. Programming and designing take time.

I wasn't expecting big overhauls just some word on if they will be removing the Divinity stuff or not.. If not i can uninstall now and move on... I have no interest in another Divinity game, i disliked the first two, i'm here for a D&D 5th edition game.
Originally Posted by Osprey39
I tried pathfinder.

Same.

Aw, I like most of the Pathfinder characters. Well, except the bard. I had to park her ass. You can't really get rid of her though since she is the 'narrator' of the story even if she isn't in your party.

I disliked Pathfinder because of the same issues BG3 is having the rules were too homebrew and the odd story aspects between gameplay really broke my immersion during the campaign...

Last edited by DanteYoda; 29/10/20 06:29 AM.
[quote=Arideya]

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. smile I generally do not hate on any companions in any video game, very few manage to get to me enough, but this bunch made me rage quit and uninstall the game heh.
Edit: I'm still getting the next Pathfinder but only after release in hopes that I might like it. Maybe its masochism smirk

Originally Posted by DanteYoda

I disliked Pathfinder because of the same issues BG3 is having the rules were too homebrew and the odd story aspects between gameplay really broke my immersion during the campaign...

Aren't PK rules basically D&D 3.5, which are as homebrew as BG1 and BG2 "brewed" the 2e?

Last edited by Arideya; 29/10/20 06:57 AM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
veteran
veteran

Aren't PK rules basically D&D 3.5, which are as homebrew as BG1 and BG2 "brewed" the 2e?

Sure, like an Ancient red dragon is basically a big lizard that happens to breath fire. laugh

It´s technically a homebrew because it uses the SRD rules of 3.5 , but Manual has over 300 pages and PF has over 10 rulebooks, with a whole new world, lore, +20races, +30classes, +50feats, +7combat maneouvers, abilities, +100 monsters and many campaigns so it´s a hell of a "homebrew".

You could also say Kotor games are basically D&D3.5 with starships because they use 3.5 SRD too. You can do pretty different games with the same d20 base.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T

Yeah same here. I love old-school cRPGs but I also like playing RPGs like Avowed. Hopefully Avowed will be more like Witcher 3 than Skyrim (including with a third-person option), with all the great storytelling and character development that Obsidian is known for.

Eww... Witcher 3.
Personally I hope for something more akin to Skyrim, but still with better storytelling and developement and world exploration.
Can't beat making a custom character.

veteran
veteran
I tried pathfinder.

Same.

I liked all of the characters, and especially Linzi! smile The dwarf and goblin were the ones I initially did not care for, but even they eventually won me over.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheOtter

Eww... Witcher 3.
Personally I hope for something more akin to Skyrim, but still with better storytelling and developement and world exploration.
Can't beat making a custom character.

Okay yes, I agree about making your own character. That is very important to me too, and I am sure that will be the case with Avowed. But overall Witcher 3 was way better than Skyrim for me. Skyrim is the only RPG I have ever played that I did not finish and have not had any motivation to return to.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If Avowed is going to be what New Vegas was to Fallout 3, then everything could be plenty fine. laugh I'm sure Avowed will have lots more banching dialogue than Witcher 3 too, as that is one of Obsidian's forte. Back at Black Isle, they gave you options to actually role-play your characters/party even in linear dungeon crawlers such as Icewind Dale. Also, I'm expecting much less linear quests as that's Obsidian's thing too -- some of the quest flowcharts of New Vegas are pretty special. https://i.imgur.com/sywQ3cz.jpg

Last edited by Sven_; 29/10/20 02:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
The characters in Pathfinder are very good and quite unique. the problem there is very poor pacing.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
T
T
I wasn't expecting big overhauls just some word on if they will be removing the Divinity stuff or not.. If not i can uninstall now and move on... I have no interest in another Divinity game, i disliked the first two, i'm here for a D&D 5th edition game.

If you disliked both Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 and Pathfinder . . . I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you aren't going to like the finished Baldur's Gate 3. I'm somewhat hopeful Larian will tone down the Divinity surfaces/barrels but they are going to make the game that appeals most to the mass market . . . and given that the vast majority of steam reviews are very positive (and their existing DOS fanbase) . . . I suspect the gameplay isn't going to change much (or at least not move closer to true 5e rules)

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard