Next Thread
Print Thread
#720175 28/10/20 11:32 AM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I’m not sure if a thread has been posted regarding this already or not (I did a search and didn’t find anything), but I think the experience rewards for killing monsters is off.

I decided to run the game using only a Drow Rogue without any of the npc’s because I envisioned a pissed off Neutral Evil Drow hiding in the shadows saying to himself “kill-em all” as he hunts for the bastards that did this to him. Granted, I haven’t played D&D since 2nd edition, but running the game with only 1 character should yield higher experience gain for kills. I’m receiving the same amount of experience running 1 character in the party as I would with 4.

If each character in a party of 4 receives 50xp for a kill, then 1 character defeating the same monster solo should receive 200. I believe the old Icewind Dale and Baulders Gate games awarded xp by kill to the party based on the monster base xp divided by the number of party members as well.

It seems as though the current method is used so that when a newly encountered npc is added to the party at a later time, they are automatically available at the same level that has currently been attained. But what if I don’t include any npc’s?

Personally I would prefer that xp would be awarded by the base monster xp divided by the number of party members. If I choose to run the whole game without any npc’s in my party, I should be a substantially higher level.

I’ve completed most of the prerelease using only 1 character in my party the whole time, and am only level 4.

Last edited by PMSbloodrage; 28/10/20 02:36 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Technically the way you described it is the way it is written in 5E as well. I don't believe the XP being given is accurate in general based on the monsters manual. I assume this is due to pacing the content and preventing players from over-levelling an area. I do agree that if you take on a monster solo you should get the full XP that a party of 4 would have divided.

apprentice
apprentice
Jumping back in on this - The XP is WAY off unless its a bug. I just killed a phase spider and got 5XP per character. Phase spider as written is 700XP. I get a bit of adjustment, but this is a hard nerf.

Phase Spider
Large monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 32 (5d10+5)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR
15 (+2) DEX
15 (+2) CON
12 (+1) INT
6 (-2) WIS
10 (+0) CHA
6 (-2)
Skills Stealth +6
Senses Darkvision 60 Ft., passive Perception 10
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Ethereal Jaunt. As a bonus action, the spider can magically shift from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane, or vice versa.
Spider Climb. The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Web Walker. The spider ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.
Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d10 + 2) piercing damage plus (4d8)poison damage. The target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save the target takes the poison damage, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
there is enough content is the EA to reach lvl 7 if not higher

we are caped because, there is nothing after lvl 4 implanted. there is a mode to remove the exp cap, and all you get is more hp.

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 29/10/20 04:56 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
XP is also all over the place for the difficulty of the opponents. For instance the Bulette is 250 XP, great. On the flip side the Phase Spider Matriarch, arguably a much tougher fight is only worth 20xp. Of course 10 hp mud mephits are 50XP. I am sure that will all be sorted out before release I just found in very noticeable.

Link Copied to Clipboard