1. Choice of color palette
Zero F's are given original wolfenstein is also fully different than last wolfenstein.
2. Origin characters vs NPC companions
Yes this is DoS style.
3. All Origin characters discovered nearly immediately in the game rather than organically throughout the entire story.
This is a weak argument, temple of elemental evil has almost all your characters being build and most/best npc's join you in homlet. yes it is DoS, but yes its also ToEE.
4. World full of meaningless items
Yes and I love it! In PnP I use alot of "meaningless items" for my players as trade items for when they hit the next town/city. However its a bit overdone, less 1 lbs + 1 coin items would be nice
5. World full of meaningless containers/locked chest with very little of value in them
Yes this is anoying, but most anoying is that you cant really see if you opened and "owned" container (the one that shows a red icon). Instead make it closed icon and opened icon, instead of color
6. Battles based in the environment and not in Character Class
If you are a 5e DM and you dont use enviroment stop playing PnP, if you dont like it in a RPG campaign in a computer game you are stuck in 1990! Since you cannot really use spells creative as with PnP, enviroment helps creativity
7. Height (King of the Hill gameplay)
Uhrm, there are actuall rules for height advantage in the dmg/ph for the game! Anyone complaining has no clue how battle encounters work in DnD
8. Backstab (only lacking the ground indicator from DoS)
Mey, tooltip shows it in the left bottom corner at to hit
9. Removing Class identity by making each character a Swiss Army knife, able to do everything (converting many Actions into Bonus Actions that normally only a Rogue would have, all classes can use scrolls, all classes have massive mobility in combat due to Jump, etc.)
This is the main thing with 5E ruleset. Every class is a swiss army knife. Everyone can stealth, everyone can open locks (being proficient makes you better, not just skilled). Everyone can use a scroll is meh and having some bonus actions is a creative way of dealing with turnbased rounds.
10. Exactly the same starting pattern. Start as a prisoner on the vessel (boat/nautiloid) of our mentally flogging enemies (Magisters/Mindflayer). Vessel is attacked and we must take advantage of this to escape. Only everything does not go as planned and we fall off (void/water) and we are saved from dying by a mysterious force. Then we arrive on a beach and we wake up. Proceed to small settlement nearby.
Yes this is an issue, I stacked them all in the campsite and it bugged my save game. Gunpowder I would remove or make very special (its an "magic" item in 2nd edition I believe in 5e also). The alcohol barrels I would like to see as trade goods. Oil is ok, water is ok
12. Surfaces *everywhere*
This is something from DoS but it works very well in DnD as difficult terrain. Alot of encounters in the PnP adventures have some form of difficult terrain, like lava, fire, rockpiles, entangling vines etc. Its not overdone imho. A bit less "water surfaces" would be nice. The issues with cantrips creating surfaces is something that is logical, but not covered in PnP 5e very good. However I am going to use it more as its "logical"
13. Surfaces having overpowered effects beyond just damage
Not overpowered, you just need to manage your movement better, works for a pc game, not really for Mind Eye Theather PnP style (if you dont use battlemaps)
14. Food everywhere that is better healing than everything else
Yes this is an issue, not that its everywhere, just that it heals. As tradegoods it works.
15. Encounter design that assumes you are fully rested for each fight.
No this is not true. Your lack of skills and knowledge of your characters doesnt mean the encounters are bad. Most heavy encounters have other ways to deal with them. In my first playthrough I had problems with minotaur encounter, bullete encounter when it joined a different encounter near the tree and fighting goblins from the entrance to the camp (second playthrough it was better and thrid playthrough I did the "work arround")
16. Every fight involves flashy gimmicks and enemies using a host of special items (elemental arrows, grenades, healing potions)
This is also not true, but those that are are the same as with different games. Why would an npc/mob not be allowed to use the same tools as the players. Also if you lack skills in dealing with them dont play.
17. No normal enemies
What are normal enemies? Goblins? Brain-eaters? Undead? Bandits? Owlbear? Hag? Redcaps? Harpies? These are in the monstrous manual for 5e.
18. Reused DoS items that don’t exist in D&D 5e (Trap Kit)
Trap kit? Didnt find it my 3 playthroughs, or is it disarm kit?
19. Succeeding on a thieving check but the target magically knows you stole from them a few seconds later.
Yes this is an issue and should be resolved
20. Enemies have insanely high HP values, needlessly lengthening combat
This is part of computer games, also PnP battles take much longer than in game. also Bullete has recommended/average HP of 94, Minotaur 76, Goblin Boss 21, Goblin 7. So if you have problems with HP go compain at DnD creaters not BG3 creaters. (see montrous manual)
21. Chaining party members and movement system
Wait what now?
22. Shared inventory space
Yeh, I miss the rules of moving my rogue to the wizard to hand over the potion of healing so he can use it. yeh ofcourse not
23. Inventory management and UI
This is anoying yes (management not UI). Containers moving to top when you put something in it, instead of staying at the next open spot is anoying if you want to put all books in one container
24. Swap any gear on and off in combat
This was in BG and BG 2 aswell, yes its not in the rules, but this is the liberty you need for making pc games. (this was in all other computer games based on DnD too)
25. Screen shake on ability selection, regardless of activation
26. Overly flashy effects for mundane actions (Jump, etc)
27. Stealth sight cones
28. Swap spells nearly at-will
what now? I cannot swap prepared spells with unprepared without resting. Also if you accidently select MM instead of EB I would love to have the ability to change it.
29. Limited to 1 summon per character
30. Being knocked prone ends your turn
This is rule approved, if you get knocked down you need to spend your next turn to get up
31. Turn Based vs Real Time with Pause
Meh, yes its DoS and not BG2, but what works works,
32. Overpowering low level characters via magic items (Doubling Magic Missiles damage)
You get this item technically at level 5 (though we have level cap) and the use is limited. At this point you should have 2 times attacking fighters and lvl 3 fireballs.
33. Closeup character models for Portraits
Meh, make a picture of yourself upload it
34. Teleportation fast travel accessible from anywhere
yes this is a bit of a shame, though its part of a pc game. Easily solved by giving and item and explaining how teleport/fast travel points work. However fast travel drops random encounters. This is an issue with Larian games since divine divinity.
35. Narrator’s voice is Malady from DoS 2
Yes this happens when a voice actor is ussed she is also in pathfinder kingmaker, go complain about that.
36. Normal attack with duel-wielding weapons attacks with both at the same time
My rogue did this wonderfully in my second playthrough
37. Reused ability names and animations (Great Weapon Master is called “All In”)
Meh, shame snowflakes skills are not in.
38. Same highlighting mechanic of climbable surfaces
Meh, if it works in the past it doesnt need to change
39. Same blocky item reveal UI that doesn’t actually show the item (pressing Alt)
40. Same revealing a hidden item graphic
meh if it works in the past it doesnt need to change
41. Terrible pathing that will lead to allies unintentionally walking over surfaces and traps
actually this happens sometimes, but its because they cant move through characters. The AI will stop moving if you jump over fire and the group cant reach that character without going through it. Its lack of player skill if it happens.
42. Merchant UI
Meh, if it works in the past it doesnt need to change. However I nicer UI to begin with would be nice
43. Giving free items to the merchant increases your ‘likeable’ score for that merchant, resulting in lower prices
This is a feature not a bug and if you give me free stuff I am more happy to do something for you. It should reset again at some point though
44. Stealing from someone with one character while you are talking to them with another character
This is a good thing and happens in real life too. I distract while my friend lifts your wallet. Real Life illusionist anyone?
45. Giant contiguous maps rather than small and more discrete maps
This is not true, we have 2 main maps in early access and a large portion of smaller maps. Games in the past could not handle this, its an upgrade not a bug
46. 4 party limit
Yes this is anoying, however alot of games have alot of different party sizes, I would like to see this go to 5 or 6, but if we get 4 we get 4. It will force a reballance of all encounters though
47. Same map and minimap UI (showing interactable ground, map markers)
This is a shame, but it is as it is.
48. Hotbar UI (primarily functionality)
49. Resurrection mechanics, animation (being able to magically teleport someone when resurrecting them)
This is a gameplay thing, freedom for a game and it helps out when you character dies in a spot where if you resurrect him/her he/she dies again. Also be happy you get resurrection as
50. Needing to double click to cast ‘self’ range spells
meh, this has nothing to do with BG or DoS
51. Inability to target party members for spells/abilities via their portrait
this is anoying but has nothing to do with BG or DoS
52. No non-combat exp or reward for avoiding combat
This is bad, more xp for quest rewards would be nice
53. Only able to customize 1 character at the beginning
if you are going to complain about meeting all the other characters so fast, you cannot complain about this. That said, being able to build your party from start is classical DnD, though not even BG
54. Excessively long ‘AI thinking’ delays in combat
this has nothing to do with BG or DoS
55. Lockpicking progress bar
this has nothing to do with BG or DoS
56. Most books and item descriptions extremely short
Be glad that there is lore in the game in the form of books.
57. No need to identify magic items
Yes this is a valid complaint, however after discovering an item for the first time and you do a second playthrough its more a hazzle
58. Showing the percentage to-hit
wauw, the complains are getting absurd. Instead of asking for an armor class number and figuring out what number you need to throw you are given a percentage. Feetback on dice rolls yes, but it being shown as percentage is absurd nitpicking
59. Being able to right click on an enemy an ‘examine’ them to learn all of their stats
this is the same as 73 I think (didnt understand this one until I went down to 73). This should not be possible unless class specific (champion and bard I believe)
60. Moving cursor around a target can change whether you hit the target or the ranged attack is intercepted.
yes this is part of 3d models and world instead of 2d world in BG. complaining about this, is complaing about electric trains instead of steam trains. Game technology evolves
61. Companions completely block movement
as it supposed to, when was the last time you could walk through a different person?
62. Same party management UI in multiplayer
63. No day/night cycle, it’s always the same time of day in the location
has nothing to do with BG and DoS
64. Cannot adjust starting gear
you cannot adjust starting skills, which is more anoying, its a valid point though
65. Overabundance of magic items that remove the need to pick certain spells or abilities (Amulets for Speak with Dead, Misty Step, staff with Create Water, etc.)
Check the DMG treasure tables, there is enough stuff there that does the same.
66. No Fog of War
This is basically a bullox complaint. Fog of War is for strategy games not for RPG's
67. Ability to keep one or more party members out of combat via Stealth
This is very good, however not good implementated. For stealth characters not in combat, time should go to round mode. This however has nothing to do with diference between BG and DoS. It a faulty design
68. No tracking of normal arrows
If I recall correctly this was also not in BG, but cant recall as it is more inventory management we do not need
69. Wallhack scouting via camera manipulation
yes this is bad, but again not BG vs DoS
70. Aimbotting AI (automatically knowing which party member has the ‘least’ in a defensive stat and focusing solely on them)
This is also not true, many times my frontliner got hit, also agro management is a thing.
71. No random encounters
yes this is anoying and has been part of larian games since Divine divinity.
72. Infinitely summonable Zombie companion
73. Access to enemy statistics by "Examining" them. (Note: DoS has this mechanic but locks some information behind spending points a particular skill, while BG did not have this at all).
anoying and should be part of a class feature (believe champion and bard have this)
74. Main theme music (credit to Endolex for demonstrating the audible difference a BG based theme would sound like -> https://soundcloud.com/endolex/baldurs-gate-iii-alternate-main-menu-arrangement
zero f's are given. Music score is great. A bit more ambient sound would be nice, but music is good.