Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
addict
addict
All are RPGs and most that I cited are party-based. Fallout has VATS which pauses a Real time game. You can compare Fallout to Wasteland 3 if it is too abstract for you.

It is all about implementation.

It is easy to compare DOS 2 to indie games, when you should compare to standards of the industry.

RtwP sells better.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by arajaja

Dragon Age is RTwP and i think its fair to assume that that game sold more than Diviity

No, it’s not.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 05:46 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
It's kind of funny to compare DA, Mass Effect and Fallout games (it's not even RTwP) to DoS.
Both DoS2 and the other games I mentioned belong to the same category.

Dragon Age is RTwP and i think its fair to assume that that game sold more than Divinity (although i could be wrong here) so by your logic BG3 would have sold more as RTwP bc DA:O, a RTwP game, sold more than Divinity, a TB game.

While DA: O is still an RTwP RPG, DA2 and DA: 3 are more action games than RPGs.
Also, I was referring to Mass Effect and Fallout.
DA: O came out more than 10 years ago.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tuco

Dragon Age is RTwP and i think its fair to assume that that game sold more than Diviity

No, it’s not.

Its been a while since ive played DA:O but im pretty sure you can pause midfight in that game so yes, it is RTwP.

addict
addict
People tend to overlook the use of pause in Real Time. It is everywhere.

It is always a matter of implementation.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Okay, I give up. At this rate, I will soon find out that the Witcher series is also RTwP games.

veteran
veteran

Its been a while since ive played DA:O but im pretty sure you can pause midfight in that game so yes, it is RTwP.

Yeah, but the point is that it didn’t outsold DOS 2.

I remember reading sale data a couple of years after release and while it was relatively successful it absolutely wasn’t the blockbuster some people seem to think.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 05:54 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
apprentice
apprentice

I remember reading sale data a couple of years after release and while it was relatively successful it absolutely wasn’t the blockbuster some people seem to think.

I found an article from 2010 in which it is stated that DA:O has sold 3,2m copies. How much did DOS2 sell?

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

100% BG3 would sell more if it was RtWP.

No, it wouldn’t.

We can't know for sure but what we can be sure about is BGE would sell more if it was both RTwP and TB. 100%

The simplest proof is selling RTwP games vs selling Divinity 2.
According to steamspy, divinity sold at least as well as PoE1, PoE2 and Pathfinder combined.
DoS2: between 2-5 million
Pathfinder: between 500-1mln
PoE2: between 500-1 million
PoE1: between 1-2 million

Sales of PoE2 were so bad that to save the game, they had to implement turn-based mode.
So the turns sell much better.

you know what's funny ?
Comparing sales of a first game and a second one, like comparing the sale of Dos2 (which take advantage of the reputation of the first) to the sales of Pathfinder kingmaker (first of the name).
What's funny ?
You not giving the number of sale for... DoS 1. I'm not really good at this game but after some research, it looks like it was around 500 000.... So.... where is your "simplest proof" ?
What's funny ?
You found a "proof" with stats coming from steam only.
What's funny ?
PoE 1 better stats than DoS 1 (for what I know).

I could keep going with the vacuity of this weak argument.
I may be a little rude, but I'm kind of tired of this argument weakly built. So weak they even worked against themself.

You can enjoy TB and even prefer it but please don't to make it the Messiah of cRPGs.

A lost one, "What's funny ?"
BG2 sales like DoS 2, maybe even better (can't be sure, not my specialty and the approximatively 2-5 millions doesn't help) but it did it at a time where there was LESS GAMERS.

So if we would have to choose a Messiah of cRPGs, it would definitely be BG and it was RTwP (or Planescape Torment ? Still RTwP).

Now please, don't come again with some cheeky "simpliest proof" which are everything except "simpliest" and "proof" cause it's a bad habit.

Btw, can you tell me how do you know that turn-base "saved" PoE 2. As a player of PoE 1 and 2, I can say PoE 2 was far better than his predecessor but, sadly, he suffers the bad reputation of his predecessor.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm asking you to prove your statement because for now it's as empty as me saying "DoS2 just take advantages of the hype".

Originally Posted by Riandor
6 Pages in, did anyone think to reply to the provocative title with "Hey OP, maybe you're the wrong player for the game!" ??

If a BG1 and 2 gamer is a "wrong player" for BG3 it just means Larian fail at some point, greatly.

apprentice
apprentice
I dont even know where he gets 2-5m from. All i can find on DOS2 sales is that it broke 1m sales in late 2017 that is all. If we're being generous and say DOS2 has sold 2m copies then DA:O has outsold DOS1+2 combined which means RTwP sells better than TB confirmed? Atleast by his logic.

Last edited by arajaja; 31/10/20 07:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sales of PoE2 were so bad that to save the game, they had to implement turn-based mode.

Originally Posted by Topgoon
It's not definite proof, but it is very telling that both Deadfire and Kingmaker added in turn-base modes to their games post-launch, likely due to consumer demand. We don't see the inverse for Larian.

You guys are full of it. Show me one shred of evidence to support this claim? Both Obsidian and Owlcat did it entirely out of consideration for fans. In both cases, per those studios' own admission, an individual developer in the studio came forward and said they would like to try and create a TB mode for the game out of personal preference, and the studio said okay sure, go for it. That you don't have that same consideration from anyone in Larian is what is telling for me.

I found an article from 2010 in which it is stated that DA:O has sold 3,2m copies. How much did DOS2 sell?

Again, all you D:OS fans are mired in fantasy. DA:O sold way more than D:OS2. And DA:I, which I consider very much to be a comparative game as well regardless of how some people may like to spin things, sold more than 10 million, which is more than four times D:OS2 sales.

veteran
veteran
I dont even know where he gets 2-5m from. All i can find on DOS2 sales is that it broke 1m sales in late 2017 that is all. If we're being generous and say DOS2 has sold 2m copies then DA:O has outsold DOS1+2 combined which means RTwP sells better than TB confirmed? Atleast by his logic.

"Late 2017" was November 2017, one month and something after it launched. These are also numbers exclusive to the PC version, which was at the time the only one available. The game also sold steadily for a while, had a Definitive edition, a console launch and what's most important Larian games typically take a long time to go on sale for the first time... and it's never a heavy discount anyway.
We have just rough estimations and news to refer to, but I remember when at some point DA:O was estimated barely south of the two million copies across all platforms. I'd bet you that on the long term DOS 2 outsold it.

On a side note it's worth stressing that DA:O was basically a different game on console, because RTWP is basically unmarketable there, so they turned it in a third person action game.

I can also remember my surprise when I learned that despise all Bioware's efforts to make it more palatable "for the mass market" DA2 didn't outsold the first. Not sure about Inquisition, on the other hand.

EDIT - Barely related note, but: man, I tried to reinstall and play DA:O barely few days ago and it was ROUGH going back to it.
It's almost amusing that for how shallow it actually was, this was once what I considered the king of "production value" for party-based RPGS.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 08:11 PM.

apprentice
apprentice

"Late 2017" was November 2017, one month and something after it launched. These are also numbers exclusive to the PC version, which was at the time the only one available. The game also sold steadily for a while, had a Definitive edition, a console launch and what's most important Larian games typically take a long time to on sale for the first time and it's never a heavy discount.
We have just rough estimations and news to refer to, but I remember when at some point DA:O was estimated barely south of the two million copies across all platforms. I'd bet you that on the long term DOS 2 outsold it.

On a side note it's worth stressing that DA:O was basically a different game on console, because RTWP is basically unmarketable there, so they turned it in a third person action game.

I can also remember my surprise when I learned that despise all Bioware's efforts to make it more palatable "for the mass market" DA2 didn't outsold the first. Not sure about Inquisition, on the other hand.

"EA have announced that Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins has sold 3.2 million copies worldwide to date. Furthermore they have revealed that a new Dragon Age title is due out in the first quarter of 2011. Of course, Dragon Age: Origins will see the expansion Awakenings launch in March on all platforms, so there will more Dragon Age goodness even before that"

https://www.gamereactor.eu/dragon-age-sells-32-million/

This article is from 2010 btw. You can easily add another 500k-1m since that was 10 years ago.

Can you provide some numbers for DOS2? Again, all i can find is that it broke 1m in late 2017 (yes november is late 2017)

veteran
veteran

"Late 2017" was November 2017, one month and something after it launched. These are also numbers exclusive to the PC version, which was at the time the only one available. The game also sold steadily for a while, had a Definitive edition, a console launch and what's most important Larian games typically take a long time to go on sale for the first time... and it's never a heavy discount anyway.

Dragon age sold more than 3.2 million units by 2010.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Larian is not the wrong studio for BG3 but they have to stay humble.
D&D and Baldur's Gate are legends. DoS is a really good and promising game for the future, with awesome and fresh mechanics.

They have to create a D&D/BG experience and add a Larian's flavor on top of it instead of trying to "Larianise" D&D and BG.

This could lead to the next legend and not only the next Larian game.

That's what I think since the announcement of BG3.
Maybe it's too late to still think like that^^

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/10/20 08:14 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
According to Steamspy DOS 2 sold between a bare minimum of 2 million and a maximum of 5 million of copies on Steam alone.
This doesn't include copies sold on GOG at very least (and I'm not sure if the game was sold in other stores, but I doubt they would account to much anyway) and it doesn't include console sales, either.

Originally Posted by Abits

You people keep repeating this as if it was particularly meaningful.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 08:14 PM.

old hand
old hand
What the hell are you two even arguing about lol, is there an actual point youre proving?

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
apprentice
apprentice
According to Steamspy DOS 2 sold between a bare minimum of 2 million and a maximum of 5 million of copies on Steam alone.
This doesn't include copies sold on GOG at very least (and I'm not sure if the game was sold in other stores, but I doubt they would account to much anyway) and it doesn't include console sales, either.

Originally Posted by Abits

You people keep repeating this as if it was particularly meaningful.

So 2m? 3m? 4m? What is it? Very accurate numbers, indeed.

I honestly don't give a flying f how much copies each game sold, i just find it amusing that Rhobar seems to believe since DOS2 sold more than PoE2 that TB sells more than RTwP confirmed. As if that is the deciding factor (sure some people might not buy the game because it is TB and vice versa but the majority probably doesn't give a shit). Well newsflash buddy, DA:O probably outsold DOS2 and that is RTwP so yea, RTwP sells more than TB confirmed.

veteran
veteran
dunno

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

The number is most likely from Steamspy

It lists the 2-5 million owners. Note, that number is steam only. I can't find anything on GoG, Xbox, PS4, or the Switch.

I mean, using a game like DA:O is kind of rough considering how much can change in a decade. Entire genres (cough RTS cough) can die off in that timeframe.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard