Print Thread
L
Lightzy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Yeah. It's not working.

First of all it's a mess with melee characters being useless half the time.
Secondly, if the camera can handle zoom out up to (say) 3rd elevation, combat often occurs at 6th elevation.
One of the worst examples is the phase spider cave, where the fights are just terrible, but the ruined village fight also suffers from this.

Either tone down the height levels (which is best. D:OS2 did not suffer from this insanity and still had good use of height), or/and allow more zoom out

veteran
veteran
I agree with the camera but the problem with melee character could be solved another easy way : less ennemies archers/casters/ranged skills and more... melee attack...
But I agree, actually melee are often boring to play with.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
L
Lightzy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Half the time my melee ppl are shooting bows at 20% hit chance lol.
well, Lazzy anyway. And Shadowheart also, cuz her cantrip is shit with no range and a full saving thow, a crossbow is better.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
The way jump is implemented right now makes playing melee easy, but if they nerf jump to be a full action melee might feel quite a bit worse. If you are having trouble reach enemies, just pay more attention to your jump, use it every single round.
And the camera not working with vertically that well is going to be a work in progress, no reason to scrap verticality for the sake of the state of the camera in an early EA build.

Last edited by Gathord; 29/10/20 03:34 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Lightzy
Yeah. It's not working.

First of all it's a mess with melee characters being useless half the time.
Secondly, if the camera can handle zoom out up to (say) 3rd elevation, combat often occurs at 6th elevation.
One of the worst examples is the phase spider cave, where the fights are just terrible, but the ruined village fight also suffers from this.

Either tone down the height levels (which is best. D:OS2 did not suffer from this insanity and still had good use of height), or/and allow more zoom out

Fully confirmed.
And when the camera struggels with getting into the correct position, because of the messed up height level usage in addition, it's even more fun.

L
Lightzy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Gathord
The way jump is implemented right now makes playing melee easy, but if they nerf jump to be a full action melee might feel quite a bit worse. If you are having trouble reach enemies, just pay more attention to your jump, use it every single round.
And the camera not working with vertically that well is going to be a work in progress, no reason to scrap verticality for the sake of the state of the camera in an early EA build.

I'm not saying to scrap verticality, just to reign it in a bit.
Either lower the high terrain a bit or raise the skybox/roof a FREAKIN LOT so that the camera can always comfortably give you a top-down view (or both. I think a camera fix would suffice)

But that said, it does come to something when in a fight you have 6 goblins shooting at you from the fourth floor of a 'village skyscraper' lol. That was fun tho.
I'm more concerned about the camera issues in places where it just doesn't work.

Last edited by Lightzy; 29/10/20 05:28 PM.
stranger
stranger
This is the result of them porting over the "king of the hill" gameplay from divinity instead of the usually more grounded D&D style modules. They very clearly didn't look into how a lot of popular D&D modules were designed and just lazily ported over divinity design. This imbalance with range and verticality is the result.

Rogue or wizard? Why not both! Rogue/wizard/shadowdancer.
I agree the camera needs work, especially in places like the spider cave. Targeting was very frustrating in that series of fights.

Regarding melee vs. verticality, I don't have much trouble with that, so far. My MC is a Rogue/Thief and I use Dash a lot when I need to reach archers or mages. My other melee fighter in the group is Lae'zel, and she can get a ranged Menacing Attack or Pushing Attack in with a crossbow while moving forward to engage. She misses frequently, but that's life in this game and the enemy misses too.

The verticality can be used to your own advantage if you do enough scouting ahead. Separate a party member with the best stealth stats, and check out ways you might be able to move the party into a better location to initiate combat. If you just waltz straight into every fight, you'll often be walking into essentially a trap that's been set up in advance to defeat you.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Dont think the problem is so much that there is height itself, but the fact that the heights are so disproportional when engaging.

What i mean is that a goblin on top of mount everest shouldnt even be in the battle if your party is at sea level. If anything a good fix would probably be to make the range of bows and spells double their normal range at height or 1.5, and fix the cameras. As it stands its pretty much limitless in an up and down scenario. Its a really nice benefit when you push something off of a 100 foot cliff - which should really be an insta kill.

IRL a fall from anything 3X your height is considered life threatening. Apply that to a 4 foot tall goblin and throwing him off of the 20 foot high building in the village should be pretty much death or maimed.

Its also a pain in the ass at the goblin camp, but considering they are firing from a fortified position that was intended to be used by elven archers i guess it makes sense in that application.

Maybe the answer is not to apply that logic across the board in every encounter but just the ones that make sense. Id hate to see the majestic crumbling walls of the temple of selune reduced to 10 foot high speed bumps.

veteran
veteran
DAO camera would be perfect for this game.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
Agreed.

Link Copied to Clipboard