Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#723392 30/10/20 11:02 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I know whips will be added at some point but I really like the idea of dual whip ranger (yes kinky whips exist in 5e). There are over 20 variations from disarming whips to ....pretty much any other damage type/status in the world. The animations of rolling two whips while stationary seems pretty badarse.

Oh and kinky whips add your charisma modifier to 1d10 piercing insread of finess.

Last edited by Soul-Scar; 30/10/20 11:06 PM.
Soul-Scar #723394 30/10/20 11:05 PM
I
old hand
old hand
I
Please no.
Whips are a silly "weapon" and would be ineffective against nearly everything.

Soul-Scar #723397 30/10/20 11:06 PM
veteran
veteran
Fantasy game. whips can be anything you want them to

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Soul-Scar #723402 30/10/20 11:13 PM
Yeah, I always picture Drow Priestess' with a multi headed whip. (mainly due to drawings of drow preistess' wielding multi headed whips.) Also can't wait until they give us slings. Slings feel really appropriate to me for casters and druids. I've never liked how light crossbows became more popular for casters and are classified as simple weapons. IRL even a small crossbow needs a tool you have to use to reload the thing. Needing to carry around another tool just to reload a crossbow doesn't seem very simple to me. Bow is a much simpler weapon and a sling is even more simple.

Last edited by vyvexthorne; 30/10/20 11:14 PM.
Ixal #723403 30/10/20 11:14 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ixal
Please no.

Don't know much about whips in D&D obviously. Bladed, sycthe, storm, scorpion, sword, blood, clawed....... This isn't a request to "add them" it is a request to add them in EA.

Ixal #723531 31/10/20 02:41 AM
stranger
stranger
Please no.

It's not a good idea to make arbitrary remarks like that one. Whether a weapon is awesome or silly is purely subjective. Please be respectful.

I personally think whips are cool weapons. And after imbued with magic energies, whips can deal presentable damages.

Last edited by IanTheWizard; 31/10/20 02:50 AM.
vyvexthorne #723533 31/10/20 02:45 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Yeah, I always picture Drow Priestess' with a multi headed whip. (mainly due to drawings of drow preistess' wielding multi headed whips.) Also can't wait until they give us slings. Slings feel really appropriate to me for casters and druids. I've never liked how light crossbows became more popular for casters and are classified as simple weapons. IRL even a small crossbow needs a tool you have to use to reload the thing. Needing to carry around another tool just to reload a crossbow doesn't seem very simple to me. Bow is a much simpler weapon and a sling is even more simple.

I love slings. But learning to use a sling effectively is a lot harder than learning to use a crossbow. Slings require some serious skill.

Ixal #723543 31/10/20 02:57 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Please no.

wtf is your problem....

Whip
melee weapon (martial, whip)
Category: Items
Damage: 1d4
Damage Type: Slashing
Item Rarity: Standard
Properties: Finesse, Reach
Weight: 3

its as effective as a DAGGER

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 31/10/20 02:57 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Soul-Scar #723614 31/10/20 04:53 AM
old hand
old hand
Abdirak fully supports OP
[Linked Image]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Ixal #723655 31/10/20 06:02 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Please no.

Walking around in full plate all day every day is silly too for so many reasons and would quite frankly probably kill you in hot weather.
So are giant maces and double-bladed axes etc.

I think that whip-blades/ chain-swords would be cooler tho like Ivy in Soul Calibur and in Castlevania, and they were a real thing ( sorta ) historically too.

People can argue about the use of it against armor but then again our characters are cutting through armor with swords... Even if you thrust as hard as you could into armor you wouldn't pierce it much and definitely wouldn't reach flesh except for some areas that wouldn't be lethal.

Soul-Scar #723667 31/10/20 06:35 AM
addict
addict
Regarding the debate " Slings are simpler to use than crossbows" well...they are not indeed. There's a reason we dropped slings for crossbows and crossbows for guns.

Historically when crossbows were becoming more and more popular people seen them as " a weapon without honor". Cause you had a guy who since he was 6 learned how to wield a sword and shield, he devoted his entire life to be a guy in shiny armor. And then BUM, crossbows could pierce armor with ease. All you needed was a crossbow, a peasant, and a few days of training max.

You compare that to a sling and yeah, it's not easy to use at all. You need training to don't kill yourself with it and to aim properly. It got to a point where romans imported their slingers. A sling is a deadly weapon but if you want to kill a grown up men with it before he rushes at you with a javelin then you better be good at it.
https://youtu.be/3uDtrwNY0Zk?t=234

Very interesting documentary btw, recommend watching it all ^^

Last edited by virion; 31/10/20 06:36 AM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
virion #723683 31/10/20 07:44 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by virion
Regarding the debate " Slings are simpler to use than crossbows" well...they are not indeed. There's a reason we dropped slings for crossbows and crossbows for guns.

Historically when crossbows were becoming more and more popular people seen them as " a weapon without honor". Cause you had a guy who since he was 6 learned how to wield a sword and shield, he devoted his entire life to be a guy in shiny armor. And then BUM, crossbows could pierce armor with ease. All you needed was a crossbow, a peasant, and a few days of training max.

You compare that to a sling and yeah, it's not easy to use at all. You need training to don't kill yourself with it and to aim properly. It got to a point where romans imported their slingers. A sling is a deadly weapon but if you want to kill a grown up men with it before he rushes at you with a javelin then you better be good at it.
https://youtu.be/3uDtrwNY0Zk?t=234

Very interesting documentary btw, recommend watching it all ^^

Crossbows could not pierce armor with ease lol.
Most Crossbows weren't much stronger than Longbows and also had much smaller projectiles.
The reason why Crossbows became popularized was mainly because like you said they required less training to use, same with Muskets.

Bows in the Medieval period in particular weren't used like in Hollywood they were used at a fairly close range. Arrows lose a lot of power the longer they have to travel, so I imagine that a Longbow would still be '' better '' generally speaking because of the higher rate of fire and they weren't as clumsy to use in the middle of a battle.
Which is why the English still used them and they were so feared because of the system the English had in place that essentially forced people to grow up to become Longbowmen.
The reason why they were still effective even tho they couldn't pierce armor was quite simply because if you had thousands of arrows flying at you there was a high likelihood that some would hit a gap in your armor and against Cavalry kill your horse.

This is ofc speaking about plate armor.
Most people wouldn't have that tho and I've seen arrows pierce shields and mail both and go into the arm holding the shield ( at a fairly close range, which again is why they were used at close range ).
So yeah Longbows and Crossbows were incredibly effective at close range against pretty basic armor that most had, but definitely not against plate armor and it wasn't unique to Crossbows.

Edit: Same channel, video of Longbow vs a plate breastplate ( again, Longbows were about the same power Crossbows ).

Last edited by Svalr; 31/10/20 08:08 AM.
OneManArmy #723725 31/10/20 08:48 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Abdirak fully supports OP
[Linked Image]

Yeah, but he uses a mace :O smile Agree with the OP though. Whip could be used in many combat senarios say... disarming an opponent you dont want to kill. No small degree of proficiency required though....

Soul-Scar #723802 31/10/20 10:32 AM
addict
addict
[Linked Image]

Soul-Scar #723807 31/10/20 10:38 AM
veteran
veteran
I really like the direction of these discussion. Please, more cool weapons facts

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Soul-Scar #723925 31/10/20 01:12 PM
I also look forwoard to whips. I loved using them on my rogue (although it meant spending a feat for proficiency), because it allowed me to sneak attack at reach.

Soul-Scar #723927 31/10/20 01:14 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
On the Pathfinder forums some years ago (well, over a decade ago, I think), I was involved in a long and not particularly well-mannered discussion about the effectiveness of slings.

The conclusions were (depending on which side of the fence you sat);

1. slings ought to see better stats and better effectiveness because, historically, they were favoured over shortbows in terms of range and effectiveness.
or,
2. slings were not as good as composite longbows so should not be improved.

Okay, which side of the debate I was on might be obvious. The thread is still accessible over at the Pathfinder forums if anyone is interested in trawling through it. It contained a lot of information and references relevant to D&D 5e.

Whips have never really been dealt with properly in RPGs to my knowledge. They can be useful tools and are certainly colourful weapons for the right character archetype and build, but they tend to be lumped in as weapons which do a bit of damage and can occasionally grapple. You would struggle to replicate Indiana Jones, Zorro or Catwoman under most RPG rulesets (D&D 5e included).

Evil_it_Self #723942 31/10/20 01:39 PM
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
Please no.

wtf is your problem....

Whip

That I am not some juvenile who looks at something and stammers *cooooooool* but someone who actually thinks while playing games. Whips are not weapons, they are tools and do not work as effective weapon. That they are as effective as a dagger is the problem.
Want to see a better implementation of whips? Look at D&D 3E where they are unable to damage anything in armor.

Last edited by Ixal; 31/10/20 01:39 PM.
Ixal #723947 31/10/20 01:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
Please no.

wtf is your problem....

Whip

That I am not some juvenile who looks at something and stammers *cooooooool* but someone who actually thinks while playing games. Whips are not weapons, they are tools and do not work as effective weapon. That they are as effective as a dagger is the problem.
Want to see a better implementation of whips? Look at D&D 3E where they are unable to damage anything in armor.

More power to you.

Soul-Scar #880306 14/08/23 02:17 AM
J
stranger
stranger
J
Honestly, I think whips are quite useful and are the most versatile of all the weapons offered in D&D.

While they may not be as "effective" in the beginning, there are Feats/Abilities available to increase their effectiveness in combat situations. I'm not entirely sure if all of those options were put into BGIII since I'm still in the beginning part of the story, but one particular feat that helps is Weapons Master. Again, I don't know if this was implemented in game or not yet, but it does give a nice bonus to damage scores on any four weapons of your choosing plus a +1-stat boost on either Strength or Dexterity. My 5th level ranger in D&D has a whip and he can do up to 10 points of damage with it.

One of the major advantages I think is the whips reach. The standard melee weapons have a five-foot reach where the whip has a ten-foot reach. It's actually really nice to have that extra five feet to work with since most enemies can't get a reaction at that distance. Plus, you can ensnare targets with the whip too. It doesn't have to be all about "How much damage can I do?" as far that goes.

Besides, it isn't completely about a weapon being effective in a fight. It's the characters stats, feats and proficiencies with a weapon that makes a difference. Granted finding magical weapons are a plus. But there are plenty of consumables and spells to imbue the weapon for additional damage.

Personally, I would like to see whips included in BGIII. There may be restrictions with creativity, but they have a lot of benefits and some of them can be added into the game mechanics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard