Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#723500 31/10/20 01:35 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
Maybe it is just me, but why are the only 2 females in the group, come across rude, mean, direct, Cold.


Am I the leader or influencer? Because in early access, it's the two female NPC's. Give me some dominant dialogue choices as the player character, allow me to be a leader in dialogue, without being cruel or evil.

I don't understand why the two female characters have such a similar persona, and the male characters are all different.

I know there is a huge investment into the dialogue and voice overs already, and that there is most likely no chance of this changing course, so maybe include another female character with a persona like Gale's or Astarion or a hybrid.

I am taking some knowledge of the DISC personality testing , a quick take, here are my results:

Astarion: ID
Gale: IS
Will:SI
ShadowHeart:Dc
LaE'Zel:Ds

It seems like every AAA game does this, and it is getting overplayed.
Where do you find these personalities that are so off putting? I have never met a single female who is in leadership, and behaves this way, please stop painting women in such a bad light.
In your effort for equal representation, you are overplaying and misrepresenting women in leadership roles, or who have dominant personas.

Can maybe make an excuse for Lae'Zel based on race, but then are we painting all Gith as heartless demanding warriors ?




Last edited by SGTSPIRE; 31/10/20 03:01 AM. Reason: Shorten the Comments
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
This is a world of dungeons and dragons and dark fantasy, man. Laezel still behaves very well, as for gith. I didn't understand why you didn't like Shadow Heart

Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
I guess I am not into demanding, disengaged, cold hearted women as companions. Maybe she is more fun to play as a main character then to have in dialogue scenes.
Interested if you did not sense that from her when you played ?

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
I didn't get that from their personalities at all.
Lae'zel is pretty typical of most Gith, if not a little warmer in all actuality.
Shadowheart's disposition isn't surprising considering her history.

These are people stuck in a high-stress, life-threatening, extraordinary situation.
I highly doubt that any of the women in leadership that you've run across have a parasite threatening to end them in their brains, nor are they living in an unforgiving fantasy world.
You say that this is painting women in a bad light, and I say that expecting every girl that you come across to be a bright and bubbly cookie jar full of butterflies is far more detrimental to women.

Shift your perception. Maybe get some life experience. Move out of that small town.
These women are more realistic than most that I've seen in other games.

As an aside, there've been a lot of these posts, and this complaint tends to come from guys who are intimidated by the idea of a strong woman and are turned off at the prospect of romancing one that's not submissive and shy.
This is not that series and this is not that game.


I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
I am glad you didn't get that from their personalities.

I would suggest a different tone in your feedback though, you seem to be taking a very offensive nature, and are making assumptions that are not accurate at all about other people "Says the Assumed Small Town Male".

Like the comment about the jar full of butterflies, interested did any of the male companions come across that way. Did any come across as "Strong Men"

If we are being fair and equal, how about one male & female character who are strong, and another male and female character all bubbly and bright, and full of butterflies smile

And yes depicting both female characters in a similar light "Strong" as you would describe it, does not help your case or mine.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE

And yes depicting both female characters in a similar light "Strong" as you would describe it, does not help your case or mine.



You are lucky that you made it to the "good passage", otherwise you would have had another surprise mad grin
I think in this game the cult of the Strong Woman, but I like it.

Can you play the first act for evil as a drow, and compare Minthara to real-life female leaders you know? I would very much like to read this

Shadow Heart doesn't look dominant and rude, she looks like a goth teenager with a difficult fate. I think that maybe we will have another "good" girl of the classic archetype in the next acts

Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
I know about Minthara, and she makes sense, not that I would normally go down that path. And I don't think any one would make into leadership at least in the enterprises I work for with her persona, but who knows what's under the hood.

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
I am glad you didn't get that from their personalities.

I would suggest a different tone in your feedback though, you seem to be taking a very offensive nature, and are making assumptions that are not accurate at all about other people "Says the Assumed Small Town Male".

Like the comment about the jar full of butterflies, interested did any of the male companions come across that way. Did any come across as "Strong Men"

If we are being fair and equal, how about one male & female character who are strong, and another male and female character all bubbly and bright, and full of butterflies smile

And yes depicting both female characters in a similar light "Strong" as you would describe it, does not help your case or mine.



I love how you have an issue with the fact that I said that the women in the game were strong and you're trying to somehow devalue that by putting the word in quotations because you wouldn't describe them that way.
Go ahead and say what you actually think about them.

Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
I know about Minthara, and she makes sense, not that I would normally go down that path. And I don't think any one would make into leadership at least in the enterprises I work for with her persona, but who knows what's under the hood.


This isn't helping your case either. It's very clear that strong women intimidate you, and you want a game full of subservient and chipper female companions who are warm and welcoming to placate you.


I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
I know about Minthara, and she makes sense, not that I would normally go down that path. And I don't think any one would make into leadership at least in the enterprises I work for with her persona, but who knows what's under the hood.



Well yes. Because she is a drow, and this is the setting of Forgoten Realm, it is normal for her to be that way. And Laezel is Gityanka, from the same setting. This is also her nature. Any comparisons to real life are silly.
You romance Shadow Heart, so don't worry

Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
There is that possibility. Thought, let's say you play evil, would you not challenge Shadowheart in the beginning when she threatens you ? Just curious.
I did and she didn't survive the encounter. smile

Joined: Oct 2020
K
member
Offline
member
K
Joined: Oct 2020
you can be evil but manipulative so challenging SH isnt necessarily an evil path exclusively. We still havent met all possible companions. We may yet get a saccharine character as opposed to ones who have something to prove because of their background.

Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
Interesting thought. I will have to check her out when she becomes playable to learn more, like you said there maybe a reason she threatens to end you in the first meeting smile

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
Interesting thought. I will have to check her out when she becomes playable to learn more, like you said there maybe a reason she threatens to end you in the first meeting smile

I don’t know why she tried to kill you, just try to free her on the ilithid ship and she will be very grateful. If you are not playing as Git

Joined: Feb 2015
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Feb 2015
Funny you say that. I did play a Gith on the second time through smile
I will have to double check if she threatens a non Gith the same way now.

Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Korriban
member
Offline
member
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Korriban
Is it bad that me reading the title immediately made me wonder how a game set in this setting would work if there was Stand Users?
Like the friggin' Stand Arrow just popped up in this world and started poking people and giving them Stands.

Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
Maybe it is just me, but why are the only 2 females in the group, come across rude, mean, direct, Cold.


Am I the leader or influencer? Because in early access, it's the two female NPC's. Give me some dominant dialogue choices as the player character, allow me to be a leader in dialogue, without being cruel or evil.

I don't understand why the two female characters have such a similar persona, and the male characters are all different.

I know there is a huge investment into the dialogue and voice overs already, and that there is most likely no chance of this changing course, so maybe include another female character with a persona like Gale's or Astarion or a hybrid.

I am taking some knowledge of the DISC personality testing , a quick take, here are my results:

Astarion: ID
Gale: IS
Will:SI
ShadowHeart:Dc
LaE'Zel:Ds

It seems like every AAA game does this, and it is getting overplayed.
Where do you find these personalities that are so off putting? I have never met a single female who is in leadership, and behaves this way, please stop painting women in such a bad light.
In your effort for equal representation, you are overplaying and misrepresenting women in leadership roles, or who have dominant personas.

Can maybe make an excuse for Lae'Zel based on race, but then are we painting all Gith as heartless demanding warriors ?




It has already been stated by Larian that there will be other companions. The EA currently only has the testy characters.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I didn't get that from their personalities at all.
Lae'zel is pretty typical of most Gith, if not a little warmer in all actuality.
Shadowheart's disposition isn't surprising considering her history.

These are people stuck in a high-stress, life-threatening, extraordinary situation.
I highly doubt that any of the women in leadership that you've run across have a parasite threatening to end them in their brains, nor are they living in an unforgiving fantasy world.
You say that this is painting women in a bad light, and I say that expecting every girl that you come across to be a bright and bubbly cookie jar full of butterflies is far more detrimental to women.

Shift your perception. Maybe get some life experience. Move out of that small town.
These women are more realistic than most that I've seen in other games.

As an aside, there've been a lot of these posts, and this complaint tends to come from guys who are intimidated by the idea of a strong woman and are turned off at the prospect of romancing one that's not submissive and shy.
This is not that series and this is not that game.



The OP is right that there is not as much diversity in Character in the female protagonists so far compared to their male counterparts (twice true if you count in Minthara as well). That could possibly change with the characters that we have not recruited yet in the game.

Your comments about perception, life experience, telling people they are intimidated by strong women etc are misguided and unnecessary to say the least, you don't know who you are talking to. You are judging people based on different opinions to your own far too quickly.

And Shadowheart is not a "strong woman". She is weak. Lae'zel (my personal favorite companion) and Minthara are strong. There is a difference with rudeness and being strong. That applies to both females and males. Just because someone is rude as a person does not mean that he or she is a strong person as well.


Verily it is written that the Omnissiah grants his blessing to those who come well-equipped with explosives. -Aphorisms 96.9
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Taking away the fact that more are to come, it’s quite interesting to me to be given characters whom I wouldn’t normally party up with.

As for in real life, met plenty of people and women who are similar to both Shadowheart in Lazael, but one tends to gravitate towards personalities one likes, so in the OP’s case as usually in mine, one tends to not meet too many people with such “defined” personalities as these two women because that’s not our type, doesn’t mean they aren’t out there or interesting to other people.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Riandor
Taking away the fact that more are to come, it’s quite interesting to me to be given characters whom I wouldn’t normally party up with.

As for in real life, met plenty of people and women who are similar to both Shadowheart in Lazael, but one tends to gravitate towards personalities one likes, so in the OP’s case as usually in mine, one tends to not meet too many people with such “defined” personalities as these two women because that’s not our type, doesn’t mean they aren’t out there or interesting to other people.


Agreed. The only thing people get wrong is that if you are rude or an a**hole that makes you a strong person. Note how I'm not using genders as this is not gender specific. A lot of people project rudeness and dismissiveness out of their own insecurities, not their strengths. The strong rude people do so because it is truly their character (Lae'zel, Minthara), not as a defence mechanism (Shadowheart, Kagha).


Verily it is written that the Omnissiah grants his blessing to those who come well-equipped with explosives. -Aphorisms 96.9
Joined: Jun 2019
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jun 2019
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
This is a world of dungeons and dragons and dark fantasy, man. Laezel still behaves very well, as for gith. I didn't understand why you didn't like Shadow Heart



Shes a fkin sharran priestess called SHADOWHEART what is there more to explain?

Last edited by arajaja; 31/10/20 11:12 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5