Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm loving pretty much everything about early access so far.
The tone of the game feels right and the mood is appropriately stressful and somber.
The characters are well-developed and adequately challenging; I love that they aren't pushovers.

I did start to notice today that every play session that I have feels as though it lacks a touch of variety, namely, moments of light-heartedness.
With the heft of the situation that the party is in and the gravity of the situation, I just wish that there were simpler, humorous moments to break things up a bit.
Of course there are a few tongue-in-cheek lines that can pop up during dialog, but they feel few and far between.

I would love to see a touch of comedy or absurdity thrown in to break up the flow of the game besides NPCs and companions tossing out the occasional snark or quip, as long as those situations feel honest and not forced.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

old hand
old hand
Lack of light-heartedness?

Hmm..It's not the slapstick Minsc and Boo [yet], but there is ample dialogue that is funny in its own right, for all companions; even Laezel and Shadowheart have their funny moments, as well as endearing ones....

Have you...

... tried out "Speak with animals" on, say, a squirrel? Or the frog in the swamp? Or just any animal [besides Teela], really?
... Had Gale die on you?
... Had Mattis flip his coin until he didn't want to, anymore? Or Mattis in general?
... Listened to the bard as she finally found the words to her song?
... Found the work-in-progress Half-Ogre?
... Said 'baaaah!' ?
... Played Chicken-Chasin'?
... Found out what Tieflings taste like?

.. Just a quick grab, I think there's plenty of moments that relieve tension. I think the game does a well enough at this.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
old hand
old hand
It seems fine to me. Too much of that stuff imo takes away from the game. Especially with a good portion of the play so far revolving around "get this thing out of my head now!" Adding any more silliness would make me want to shake some sense into people to make them take the issue more seriously. Perhaps in later acts there could be some more of this stuff for you when things are less tense?

Originally Posted by rodeolifant

I think there's plenty of moments that relieve tension. I think the game does a well enough at this.

Agreed. I am glad these are things we have to find rather than forced in the face. Comedy for the sake of having to have it for whatever reason just comes across to me as dumb, moments like the ones you mentioned are much more natural.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Needs more Cowbell.

addict
addict
I find there's a pretty decent balance. Especially once you get to the goblins as goblins are pretty much the embodiment of dark humor. Twisted, sadistic little bastards that they are.

Favorite moment being barging in on an unusual couple mid-coitus.

Shadowheart disapproved.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Volo added some levity as well I feel.

He just camt keep himself out of trouble 🤣

addict
OP Offline
addict

Hmm..It's not the slapstick Minsc and Boo [yet], but there is ample dialogue that is funny in its own right, for all companions; even Laezel and Shadowheart have their funny moments, as well as endearing ones....

Have you...

... tried out "Speak with animals" on, say, a squirrel? Or the frog in the swamp? Or just any animal [besides Teela], really?
... Had Gale die on you?
... Had Mattis flip his coin until he didn't want to, anymore? Or Mattis in general?
... Listened to the bard as she finally found the words to her song?
... Found the work-in-progress Half-Ogre?
... Said 'baaaah!' ?
... Played Chicken-Chasin'?
... Found out what Tieflings taste like?

.. Just a quick grab, I think there's plenty of moments that relieve tension. I think the game does a well enough at this.

A fine list, but all of these break up the tension for us as the player, but not for the party. In very few of those situations is the overall mood lightened nor does the party comment on them to provide a bonding moment.
I feel like all of those things fall into the one-off category where they're set up as forced moments meant to pander to the player and don't function to serve as genuine moments for the party to enjoy.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Have you...

1 tried out "Speak with animals" on, say, a squirrel? Or the frog in the swamp? Or just any animal [besides Teela], really?
2 Had Gale die on you?
3Had Mattis flip his coin until he didn't want to, anymore? Or Mattis in general?
4 Listened to the bard as she finally found the words to her song?
5 Found the work-in-progress Half-Ogre?
6 Said 'baaaah!' ?
7 Played Chicken-Chasin'?
8 Found out what Tieflings taste like?

Can you say what you mean with 6 and 5 (barn?) ?
thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard