Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Noo thank you. Not a fan of crafting. I've yet to find a game that didn't make crafting unnecessarily tedious.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
You're not obligated to use it?

DOS1 and DOS2 had crafting systems you could completely ignore if you chose too.
I suspect this game won't be much different.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Personally, I like crafting. I still go back to DOS2 sometimes to try to randomly mix things together and see if I can find new items, I made a fish pie!
But I'm a weirdo, when there's not a good RPG out I tend to go back to FTB and super complex magic crafting stuff.

I certainly would like to see a game with complex magic ritual crafting like FTB. But that's probably moving well outside of DnD territory.

old hand
old hand
It seems extremely difficult to make a crafting system in an RPG that does both of these things:

1. Is truly optional, and allows people to ignore it without feeling like they're screwing themselves.

2. Is satisfying and worthwhile for the people who do want to use it.

stranger
stranger
Crafting in 5ed is really rules light, but the rules that are there say it takes weeks to craft... uncommon items take 20 days to craft... multiple by 10 each rarer category...

mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
It seems extremely difficult to make a crafting system in an RPG that does both of these things:

1. Is truly optional, and allows people to ignore it without feeling like they're screwing themselves.

2. Is satisfying and worthwhile for the people who do want to use it.

The only case where scenario 1 is likely to be a problem is in a competitive game where players are out to stitch up each other. The game as it stands should allow being completed without any crafting.
The Inquisition crafting system also allows recolouring of clothes, and who could resist the option to go adventuring in gold lamé pyjamas?! In single player there is always the option to ignore crafting completely.

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
old hand
old hand
True, most single player games do not make crafting a mandatory component. But then, what constitutes "mandatory" is actually very subjective, as different players have very different outlooks on a game, different playstyles, different capabilities, etc.

S
stranger
stranger
S
we need alchemy for mushrooms and cooking for foodstuff

Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
I just don't like filling up my inventory with a bunch of items I have no idea if I need to keep or not until like my 8th playthrough.

This! I'm a pack rat, but I hate having too much stuff to collect and hoard and organize and wonder what I should or shouldn't keep.

Yeah, I have no idea how many times I've looked up item lists for games or asked on forums "Is it safe to just sell the ice banana's eyeballs?... Because I've been carrying them around for like 60 hours and they weigh 40 pounds each".. and then someone answers.. "Oh, yeah, you need those to get into the Last of the Space Earth King's secret potato dungeon which awards you a magic golden potato." "The magic golden potato doesn't have any use yet but some data miners have discovered that it'll be really useful in the upcoming DLC."

old hand
old hand
I just don't like filling up my inventory with a bunch of items I have no idea if I need to keep or not until like my 8th playthrough.

This! I'm a pack rat, but I hate having too much stuff to collect and hoard and organize and wonder what I should or shouldn't keep.

Yeah, I have no idea how many times I've looked up item lists for games or asked on forums "Is it safe to just sell the ice banana's eyeballs?... Because I've been carrying them around for like 60 hours and they weigh 40 pounds each".. and then someone answers.. "Oh, yeah, you need those to get into the Last of the Space Earth King's secret potato dungeon which awards you a magic golden potato." "The magic golden potato doesn't have any use yet but some data miners have discovered that it'll be really useful in the upcoming DLC."

It's the worst.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard