N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
what do you think?

journeyman
journeyman
I never enjoyed Wild Magic in Baldur’s Gate games. It’s mostly a random reload generator, because some of the surges are so crippling.

5th Edition tries to remedy this for Wild Magic Sorcerers by making the DM decide when those rolls occur. And I guess that might work, except the surge table is still random and has some crippling options. If anyone wanted to play WM Sorcerer when I’m the DM, I’d probably just pick and choose the exact surge effect based on the narrative situation, instead of letting truly random things happen.

A computer game is unable to do a narrative judgement, so I really wish they implement another sorcerer subclass instead. Shadow is much less troublesome in a computer game, for example.

So my answer seems to be that sure, it’s translatable in a horrible RNG form.

old hand
old hand
It seems like a lot of work, but it also seems like the exact sort of nonsense that Larian likes, so I can see it happening.

veteran
veteran
The Wild Magic table seems like the sort of thing which could work better with houserules to change some of the "LUL wut" options, and some of the "whoops your party is screwed over thanks to a WM surge" options.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I would approach that lore wise :

It's 100 years after BG1/2, is magic still unstable in Faerun?

old hand
old hand
Has magic ever really been "stable" in Faerun? They have massive world-shaking cataclysms every few years, gods are dying and being reborn left and right at all times, the goddess of magic herself has been killed how many times? The Time of Troubles, the Spellplague, both Sunderings, Karsus' Folly and the fall of Netheril, I mean this world is on shaky magical ground at ANY given time, it seems to me.

G
addict
addict
G
Divine Soul. Thanks

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Lumign
I would approach that lore wise :

It's 100 years after BG1/2, is magic still unstable in Faerun?

According to 5e rules Wild Magic is still a thing in Faerun 100 years after Baldur's Gate. Otherwise they wouldn't have put the subclass in the PHB with that canonical date for FR adventures.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard