Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
I might have overlooked it, but i am not aware, that Larian ever responded to the many many feedbacks refarding the heavy deviation from DnD5e.
Is there any statements, interviews or what ever, in wich they adress their positions to this kind of feedback?

It may well be, that they never change it, because they want to keep the game, foremost the combats, feel like DOS2. Would be sad for me, others might be happy. Fair enough.
But it would be freakin nice to hear from them weather they even read the feedbacks and consider changing it.
They probably already have a fairly standing decision internally on weather they would give in to making it more DnD or if they keep it the DOS2 way mechanicly.
I just want to know if i accept that i burned 60 bucks and forget about that game, and have to wait for Owlcat to get a "pen and paper PC game".
Or if i might hold on to hope, that we eventually get a DnD5e adaptation.

Last edited by DuderusMcRuleric; 02/11/20 10:32 AM.
addict
addict
Afaik, no official statements. But The Composer (mod) has said that the feedback is being compiled and that it will take some time to go through all of it. (There's A LOT.) And that they're first focusing on the game working properly for most people.

If I'm not mistaken, Swen said in one interview that they were planning to release a list of stuff that is being worked on (like "whole party talks" which has been widely asked for), but it's yet to be seen. I'm surprised tbh, I thought they'd want to publish the list, even incomplete, quickly, so people aren't suggesting things that are already in the works.

veteran
veteran
I think it's probably since they weren't expecting the EA to be such a huge success. There are some veterans here who were around during DOS2 who thinks Larian just gonna ignore everything and do what they want, but I honestly doubt it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
There are some veterans here who were around during DOS2 who thinks Larian just gonna ignore everything and do what they want

This is interesting to me, because most of what I've heard about D:OS2 EA was that it was very well done and player feedback has been taken into account. Then I started seeing opinions that not much was changed in the game. I haven't played D:OS2 (let alone EA) and I'm honestly not sure what to think about it.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
There are some veterans here who were around during DOS2 who thinks Larian just gonna ignore everything and do what they want

This is interesting to me, because most of what I've heard about D:OS2 EA was that it was very well done and player feedback has been taken into account. Then I started seeing opinions that not much was changed in the game. I haven't played D:OS2 (let alone EA) and I'm honestly not sure what to think about it.

It's simple, it is enough that what the loud minority asked for has not been changed and some people may have found the larian not listening.
I don't know if that was the case, I didn't follow EA DoS2.
I guarantee that even if Larian changes most of the combat system, there will be people who will complain that it is not 100% DnD or BG.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 02/11/20 11:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
Here is the list of changes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/io18gb/for_reference_changes_during_the_divinity/
You guys can take a look and judge yourself.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
journeyman

Part of it is probably that the critics are always the loudest, but also just the fact that the finished product was so wildly successful and beloved that some people just don't care about the DOS2 EA anymore.
Either way, I'm not going to write off the BG3 EA after barely a month just because Larian's been a bit too busy to make the game playable for everyone before addressing gameplay concerns.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zeel

Either way, I'm not going to write off the BG3 EA after barely a month just because Larian's been a bit too busy to make the game playable for everyone before addressing gameplay concerns.

That's the best answer you can get op

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Afaik, no official statements. But The Composer (mod) has said that the feedback is being compiled and that it will take some time to go through all of it. (There's A LOT.) And that they're first focusing on the game working properly for most people.

I can confirm that feedback is being gathered. It's being taken from multiple sources and trends are certainly being extensively noted, many things in more detail. With regard to exactly what will be decided, time will tell and I can't even begin to speculate on how the feedback will influence any changes. What I do know is that different demographics tend to want different things, so while opinions on e.g. forums may seem unanimous (well okay, they seldom are, but bear with me), players who don't use forums, i.e. the vast majority, may have an entirely different opinion. A breakdown of the various groups and their opinions would be interesting to see, though I wouldn't be surprised if it might be "commercially sensitive".

I should note this is mostly my opinion and experience as a forum admin rather than gospel: I get to see the basics of some of the feedback gathering but beyond that I am absolutely out of the loop with regard to any further analysis and decision-making.

J'aime le fromage.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric
I might have overlooked it, but i am not aware, that Larian ever responded to the many many feedbacks refarding the heavy deviation from DnD5e.
Is there any statements, interviews or what ever, in wich they adress their positions to this kind of feedback?

It may well be, that they never change it, because they want to keep the game, foremost the combats, feel like DOS2. Would be sad for me, others might be happy. Fair enough.
But it would be freakin nice to hear from them weather they even read the feedbacks and consider changing it.
They probably already have a fairly standing decision internally on weather they would give in to making it more DnD or if they keep it the DOS2 way mechanicly.
I just want to know if i accept that i burned 60 bucks and forget about that game, and have to wait for Owlcat to get a "pen and paper PC game".
Or if i might hold on to hope, that we eventually get a DnD5e adaptation.

based on the D&D 5e ruleset. Team-based initiative, advantage & disadvantage, and roll modifiers join combat cameras, expanded environmental interactions, and a new fluidity in combat that rewards strategy and foresight.

Literally on the steam page, the game was never going to be a pure 5e conversion, that qnd the overwhelmingly positive steam reviews for the game currently mean its doubtfully they'll cave to a vocal minority,

You will probably get a game option that removes mechanics though.

If you want pure 5e rules go get tabletop simulator

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
It's simple, it is enough that what the loud minority asked for has not been changed and some people may have found the larian not listening.
I don't know if that was the case, I didn't follow EA DoS2.
I guarantee that even if Larian changes most of the combat system, there will be people who will complain that it is not 100% DnD or BG.

Sure, and I'll likely be one of them. :P

Here is the list of changes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/io18gb/for_reference_changes_during_the_divinity/
You guys can take a look and judge yourself.

Thanks! It... doesn't seem that much was changed? Most notably one wonky system (durability) and one companion (Red Prince). (Not counting full release additions.) I hope it's not telling of how little BG3 will be changed.

Originally Posted by zeel

Oh, certainly. I think the next 2-3 months will be critical. Not that I expect a dozen of overhauls by this time, but it's going to show us whether we can expect any significant changes.

Originally Posted by vometia
What I do know is that different demographics tend to want different things, so while opinions on e.g. forums may seem unanimous (well okay, they seldom are, but bear with me), players who don't use forums, i.e. the vast majority, may have an entirely different opinion. A breakdown of the various groups and their opinions would be interesting to see, though I wouldn't be surprised if it might be "commercially sensitive".

I fully understand that it's a business and certain things need to be accounted for, but... I greatly fear how "vast majority" and "commercially sensitive" impact the game. Things made with "mass market appeal" in mind are rarely things I personally find enjoyable.

D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
[quote=Uncle Lester][quote=Abits]

IMHO the problem is, that it was predictable for larian. If you announce "baldurds gate 3" and announce, that it will be implementing "DnD5e Rules"... Better expect people to expect a game that adapts DnD5e Rules. Obviously the game will be successful no matter what, and perhaps it is indeed a minority wanting it to be stricter DnD.
Though one should consider close P&P adaptations by owlcat being largely successful and just bashing crowdfunding goals in minutes.
This is why i wrote that so passivly. Its absolutely fair for me, if its not close to DnD. I would have just liked to know it before, because i certainly didnt expect the game to be THAT different from DnD gameplay. And i followed many many pre-release contant videos.
So in my mind, seeing the game as it is right now, it would have been widely accurate from larian to say "do not expect PC game, that feels like DnD, especially in terms of combat". Anyone who was looking for that, could have gone "yeah its not my game then, carry on, i wait for wrath of the righteous".
Since i very much think Larian is a good and professional game studio, i´m more than certain, that they were not so out of touch with reality, that they actually thought their combats feel anything like DnD and not like DOS. They must have known that, in case they did any research into 5e. And as i said, i think they did.

Thanks vometia for the insight.
I hope they will do some sort of press release to give an honest statement about their intentions.

Also there remains some hope, that some competent people migh write mods for it to make it actual DnD. Because putting the rule-mechanics aside, i think the game is fkin beautiful and flavorful.

Last edited by DuderusMcRuleric; 02/11/20 11:42 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric
[quote=Uncle Lester][quote=Abits]

IMHO the problem is, that it was predictable for larian. If you announce "baldurds gate 3" and announce, that it will be implementing "DnD5e Rules"... Better expect people to expect a game that adapts DnD5e Rules. Obviously the game will be successful no matter what, and perhaps it is indeed a minority wanting it to be stricter DnD.
Though one should consider close P&P adaptations by owlcat being largely successful and just bashing crowdfunding goals in minutes.
This is why i wrote that so passivly. Its absolutely fair for me, if its not close to DnD. I would have just liked to know it before, because i certainly didnt expect the game to be THAT different from DnD gameplay. And i followed many many pre-release contant videos.
So in my mind, seeing the game as it is right now, it would have been widely accurate from larian to say "do not expect PC game, that feels like DnD, especially in terms of combat". Anyone who was looking for that, could have gone "yeah its not my game then, carry on, i wait for wrath of the righteous".
Since i very much think Larian is a good and professional game studio, i´m more than certain, that they were not so out of touch with reality, that they actually thought their combats feel anything like DnD and not like DOS. They must have known that, in case they did any research into 5e. And as i said, i think they did.

Thanks vometia for the insight.
I hope they will do some sort of press release to give an honest statement about their intentions.

"based on the D&D 5e ruleset. Team-based initiative, advantage & disadvantage, and roll modifiers join combat cameras, expanded environmental interactions, and a new fluidity in combat that rewards strategy and foresight."

Right off the steam page...

Come one dude its all right there it was never a strait 5e import, they didn't hide this...

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 02/11/20 11:43 AM.
veteran
veteran
People can expect whatever they want. I get the impression Larian is full of people who are huge fans of BG, and that's the reason they ask WOTC to make it. Of course they care about their fans, but I believe they have a vision of their own of "what is Baldur's Gate 3" and it might not be the same vision as that of other people. But like I said many times before, even the fans who complain this game is not bg3 can't seem to agree what is bg3 supposed to be.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

I can confirm that feedback is being gathered. It's being taken from multiple sources and trends are certainly being extensively noted, many things in more detail. With regard to exactly what will be decided, time will tell and I can't even begin to speculate on how the feedback will influence any changes. What I do know is that different demographics tend to want different things, so while opinions on e.g. forums may seem unanimous (well okay, they seldom are, but bear with me), players who don't use forums, i.e. the vast majority, may have an entirely different opinion. A breakdown of the various groups and their opinions would be interesting to see, though I wouldn't be surprised if it might be "commercially sensitive".

I should note this is mostly my opinion and experience as a forum admin rather than gospel: I get to see the basics of some of the feedback gathering but beyond that I am absolutely out of the loop with regard to any further analysis and decision-making.

It seems reasonable:
Most people who like something will just keep on playing and no give feeback.
Most people who truly dislike something, will get a refund off Steam, and get on with their day.
The people who want to love something, but didn't get what they expected will go on some form of forum and complain.
Of course with a subset of people who just want to give feedback, but may or may not do so in a good manner.

journeyman
journeyman
Tbf, part of what was advertised on the steam page (team-based initiative) has already been removed due to player feedback, and that was before the actual EA even began.

I cannot speak as to how DOS2 EA went or how complete the compilation of changes on the reddit post even is, but I do not yet see a reason for a bleak outlook. At the end of the day we basically already know that modders will provide what Larian may not in terms of rules observation.

Last edited by Leuenherz; 02/11/20 01:22 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I fully understand that it's a business and certain things need to be accounted for, but... I greatly fear how "vast majority" and "commercially sensitive" impact the game. Things made with "mass market appeal" in mind are rarely things I personally find enjoyable.

I didn't say that was the case; if anything, Larian has found its niche by specifically not being mass-market. But I am neither qualified nor authorised to speak about its business decisions; it is just my personal observation that they would need to balance the preferences of their player base.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran

I didn't say that was the case; if anything, Larian has found its niche by specifically not being mass-market. But I am neither qualified nor authorised to speak about its business decisions; it is just my personal observation that they would need to balance the preferences of their player base.

I don't know... Larian used to be the text book definition of niche, but are they still a niche with millions of copies sold before the game even got released?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

based on the D&D 5e ruleset. Team-based initiative, advantage & disadvantage, and roll modifiers join combat cameras, expanded environmental interactions, and a new fluidity in combat that rewards strategy and foresight.

Literally on the steam page, the game was never going to be a pure 5e conversion, that qnd the overwhelmingly positive steam reviews for the game currently mean its doubtfully they'll cave to a vocal minority,

This is a bad strawman argument. You are pretending that the ONLY reason people are complaining is because it is not an exact 1:1 copy of the 5e rules, and you are deliberately ignoring all the arguments explaining, in depth and detail, why a lot of the rule changes are bad for game balance. You are offering no defense for the changes, you are not explaining how the changes are improvements to the game, you are just pretending that people are just mindlessly raging for no reason whatsoever. Taking that tactic gives you ZERO credibility.

It's also ridiculous to focus on the "based on" part of "based on the 5e ruleset" as a loophole which means they can change anything and everything. I mean, they could change anything and everything, but that's called misleading advertising, and misleading advertising is not a good way to retain repeat customers. It's also an old quote because the game no longer features team-based initiative.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

This is a bad strawman argument. You are pretending that the ONLY reason people are complaining is because it is not an exact 1:1 copy of the 5e rules, and you are deliberately ignoring all the arguments explaining, in depth and detail, why a lot of the rule changes are bad for game balance. You are offering no defense for the changes, you are not explaining how the changes are improvements to the game, you are just pretending that people are just mindlessly raging for no reason whatsoever. Taking that tactic gives you ZERO credibility.

It's also ridiculous to focus on the "based on" part of "based on the 5e ruleset" as a loophole which means they can change anything and everything. I mean, they could change anything and everything, but that's called misleading advertising, and misleading advertising is not a good way to retain repeat customers. It's also an old quote because the game no longer features team-based initiative.

Indeed Stabbey,

I’m yet to find something more dangerous than an okay’ish person that cannot use solid arguments and have as the main strategy in the attack upon the others opinions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard