Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Originally Posted by Arideya
Originally Posted by Anfindel
I would no sooner play a remake of BG1/BG2 than I would watch a remake of Casablanca or Wizard of Oz (note I said remake, not reinterpretation). There is absolutely NO reason to tamper with perfection.

Why? The old games haven't aged well and you can't even run the originals on newer machines - your eyes will bleed out. Plus, you already have one remake which is the Enhanced Edition by Beamdog.

I'd love the remake, but it will probably be a modded one, similar to all those attempts to recreate Baldur's Gate over the years first as Neverwinter Nights modules, then then Neverwinter Nights 2, and then Dragon Age Origins.

Aged badly? Really?
To my eyes they still look amazing. The UI is top notch. It controls fast. Story is still engaging.
In general it is usually 3D games, especially their cinematic dialogues that age badly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is absolutely true, i mean, the actual originals havent aged so well, but the enhanced editions which allow for better resolutions have. Because the actual area art was good for its time and a well drawn location is a well drawn location. Unlike 3d games where the polycount changes and things dramatically improve visually.

For me I just don't know that Larians take on RPGs is necessarly a good fit for a remake of the old BGs. I think if Solasta had the budget to do prettier graphics, their engine would be a better fit. Why? because really Solastas "downsides" are its graphics and its story, if you can get a bit more budget for the former, remaking the BG series covers the latter, frankly. It's travel mechanics would also be excellent for the BG series, and it's approach to verticality would be more enriching for those games than BG3s approach to verticality.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It wouldn't really be the same.

I think I would play it if the story aspects was fully integrated. I'm not too fond of RTwP, which is generally what keeps me from playing BG1 and 2 again, evne though I want to play the story again.

journeyman
journeyman
I would be interested in a remake with 5e and TB combat. 5e because that's the only way WotC would license it. It would be a massive undertaking if they made all those maps in 3d, though.

apprentice
apprentice
If you ask me, there could be a sequel potential for Bhaal spawn saga, "timeline before" Murder at Baldur's Gate there's that 100-year gap. where Abdel Adrian kinda became a Duke of Baldur's Gate, lived a mortal life, and kinda was fateful end at the start of that particular module bringing the Bhaal Spawn saga into the end before Baldurs's Gate 3.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Personally I would love to see them do the old TSR Gold Box modules in this format.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I played and beat BG 1 and 2. So no, I prefer something new, like around the Battle of Bones area.

veteran
veteran
Not for me. No interest.

For me it would highlight what I liked about the Infinity Engine and what I dislike about the Divinity Engine. BG3 is sooo good looking but man those party controls suck. And just the opposite is true of the IE -- party controls are near perfect but the graphics are dated.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jeldar
Personally I would love to see them do the old TSR Gold Box modules in this format.

Now this type of remake I could go for - updating and modernizing the Gold Box games could potentially be a blast.

addict
addict
Interesting. Personally I'm totally against BG3 in 3D idea. Like if anyone does it i would totally play it. I'm playing bg2 right now lol. But what BG2 brought us was special back then but there's definitely more to be learned for 20 years of how the game industry changed. I don't see why we wouldn't profit from those changes. smile

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Jeldar

Holy hell, yeah! That would be awesome, I loved those games so much as a kid.

J
JRR Offline
stranger
stranger
J
Would rather see BG3 in the BG1/2 engine.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I think in order to do this they'd have to cut most of the content. I mean, there are 25 companions in just the first game. Nobody could do it justice.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Liarie
I think in order to do this they'd have to cut most of the content. I mean, there are 25 companions in just the first game. Nobody could do it justice.

I'm not sure how this would be a limiting factor.

All of the writing is already done, so the only thing that's missing is simply creating the new assets for models and voice acting (If a remake was to modernize the games rather than simply remaster them)

Originally Posted by Lumign
what would be your interest in replaying the original story Baldur's Gate with BG3 game engine?

Would I like to play BG1/2 in BG3 engine? No. I'm not particularly fond of the BG3 engine.

Something like the Pillars engine? Maybe. Pillars 2 with TB would be interesting.

Though this would only be if we could magically poof such a remaster into existence.

The resources and effort that would be needed to properly remaster the games I'd honestly rather get spent on making new games instead. Like, sure the remaster means that the end product will be good (Again, if it's a proper remaster not TLoU or GTA garbage)

But I want to experience new things. New stories. New characters. New ideas. I want developers to move forward and create new classics that will be forever noteworthy, not just sit around making already good games shiny every 5 minutes when we get hardware upgrades...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JRR
Would rather see BG3 in the BG1/2 engine.

Haha, exactly my thought. Or even better, the PoE/Deadfire engine.
Bg2 still looks great. Ageless art style with these pre-rendered graphics. The scale still looks amazing/massive. Its so freaking immersive with the day/night system...which BG3 DOS2 engine completely lacks.

uhuh, I see the Telltale style 3D romantic cinematic dialogues fans arriving with pitchforks...lol oops

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 08/03/24 03:11 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
People are talking about remaking BG1 as if it hasn't already been done. A team remade it in Neverwinter Nights 2's engine.
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/baldurs-gate-reloaded-soar-version

The thing about remakes like this is they're not intended to "replace" the original they're essentially intended to reinterpret the original in a new context. Remaking it in BG3 with turn based combat would be incredibly interesting as it would likely require rebalancing some encounters around the idea.

G
stranger
stranger
G
As a fan of the old games, I think that the amount of adaptation and hammering necessary to shoehorn BG1 and 2 into BG3's engine would produce something quite inferior to the originals. BG3 sometimes cares too much about making players feel like they are playing a virtual tabletop game, with its dice rolling animations and turn-based only combat, which isn't a philosophy present in 1 and 2. In the old games the underlying rules system is more like a implementation detail than something you have to interface with during gameplay. The lack of day/night cycle would also be a big no for a remake, especially in BG2.

veteran
veteran
I bet BioWare would be totes cool with that. /s

"Hey guys, you know that game company that won the right to make Bg3 over us, and then won GoTY x 3, and made almost a billion dollars from sales of the game...well they are offering to come on over and just shit right in all our mouths...I said 'yes please' of course because we're already used to the taste."

Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Bioware doesn't own the rights to Baldur's Gate 1 or 2. The rights are owned by Wizards of the Coast. The recent remasters were made by Beamdog.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ThatDarnOwl
Bioware doesn't own the rights to Baldur's Gate 1 or 2. The rights are owned by Wizards of the Coast. The recent remasters were made by Beamdog.

yes but it was a good joke.

Anyway, wouldn't it be great if WoTC green lit that and it made more than the originals?

- WotC green lights Larian re-making Bg1 and 2
- BioWare released DA 4 - everyone hates it and it's a total flop.
- Larian releases Bg1 and 2 with the Divinity Engine, it makes 100 x the money as the original games put together.
- EA shutters BioWare and they release no more titles. ME4 is finished by a 3rd party studio as a Mobile game with heavy P2win elements and loot boxes. It makes a lot of money.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ThatDarnOwl

yes but it was a good joke.

Anyway, wouldn't it be great if WoTC green lit that and it made more than the originals?

- WotC green lights Larian re-making Bg1 and 2
- BioWare released DA 4 - everyone hates it and it's a total flop.
- Larian releases Bg1 and 2 with the Divinity Engine, it makes 100 x the money as the original games put together.
- EA shutters BioWare and they release no more titles. ME4 is finished by a 3rd party studio as a Mobile game with heavy P2win elements and loot boxes. It makes a lot of money.
Right. Because only you should get what you want, and others who like other games (Bioware's games) should get screwed. What a wonderful person you are.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard