Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#726331 02/11/20 09:13 PM
F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
There has been a consistent complaint about shoving and high ground making the game too easy. If the enemy was aloud to push you this might be an easy way to balance. I would definitely think twice about climbing up to high ground with a group of enemies if they had the ability to throw me down, or at least I would need a bit more preparation and use feather fall on myself.

Last edited by fkhaller; 02/11/20 09:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
The enemies CAN shove.
They just don't do it very often.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
I've never seen it happen.. Nevertheless the weight for the decision to shove should be greatly increased

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh they do shove, can assure you. Sometimes they even shove too well.

veteran
veteran
Yeah the Duegar party used it against me pretty well and the hook horrors will toss you right back to camp.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Oh they do shove, can assure you. Sometimes they even shove too well.

I wish I would have experienced this. I would like it to be there first choice as it is mine. Maybe they would prove more challenging then.

apprentice
apprentice
This happens in the later fights, and especially in the last fight of EA. You fight on boats, and if your PC is shoved into the water, she ends up in camp again, which seems to be a consistent bug hehe

D
old hand
old hand
D
Oh I canassure you, they do shove. But it seems like they wont go out of their way to shove at an angle. So if they can approach you and then shove you off they will, otherwise they will attack.

At least that seems to have been my experience with it.

I
old hand
old hand
I
What an epic adventure. The hero and the monster shoving each other back and forth. That is how D&D is meant to be played.

N
old hand
old hand
N
They do. Try the top of the cleric of Mystra's tower battle. Have fun.

journeyman
journeyman
For me it felt like the masked fighters in the hags lair couldn't stop themselves from pushing me off any high ground. Enemies can absolutely push you, but they mainly do it when fall damage is guaranteed.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Ixal
What an epic adventure. The hero and the monster shoving each other back and forth. That is how D&D is meant to be played.

Actually if you group of roleplayers hasent shoved someone off a roof or into a cliff can they really call themselves adventurers? think

old hand
old hand
Yeah those animated armors at the arcane tower are some shoving mugs. They shoved my characters down to lower levels several times, it was cool.

veteran
veteran
Enemies won't move or jump to the correct position to shove you off a ledge so it can be exploited easily.

When they do... yeah it might not be the best combat design when someone insta-kills you with a shove or a knockback arrow (what is this nonsense anyway?). Odd thing, the characters who fall into a bottomless pit or the bottom of an underground sea somehow turn up at camp.

But I agree, the AI should be taught all the same cheese the players get to use. Always backstab with advantage. Always attempt to shove off a cliff. Always eat a pigs head for +12 HP. Use arrows and bombs from other enemies' inventories. Use stealth right outside players' visibility cones.

Or.. I don't know.. get rid of the cheese entirely?

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Enemies won't move or jump to the correct position to shove you off a ledge so it can be exploited easily.

When they do... yeah it might not be the best combat design when someone insta-kills you with a shove or a knockback arrow (what is this nonsense anyway?). Odd thing, the characters who fall into a bottomless pit or the bottom of an underground sea somehow turn up at camp.

But I agree, the AI should be taught all the same cheese the players get to use. Always backstab with advantage. Always attempt to shove off a cliff. Always eat a pigs head for +12 HP. Use arrows and bombs from other enemies' inventories. Use stealth right outside players' visibility cones.

Or.. I don't know.. get rid of the cheese entirely?

I like mechanics punishing for tragic positioning.

old hand
old hand
I would rather have the enemies do all those things. That sounds really fun to me.

addict
addict
Can confirm; have definitely been Spartan Kicked off a ledge for massive damage.

Shove is a fickle mistress. She cares not who does the shoving, so long as the shoves flow.

I like it personally. Positioning is very important and should be punishable by both the player and the AI.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Yeah they do shove, was one of my favorite moments in multiplayer too. A friend got shoved off a giant tower and had to feather fall mid-fight and jump after him to get him back up - was a really memorable moment too. Almost feels like in early fights enemies do not shove as a balance mechanic, I could be wrong on that though.

Last edited by Gathord; 02/11/20 11:50 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Lae'zel got shoved off a ledge in the Underdark mid-battle by a Minotaur and fell way too many feet to her death onto a hard to reach spot. It was awesome, and terrifying at the same time, and one of the highlights of my adventures. Having no warrior facing one of those hulks was scary.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Ixal

someone immediately shoving one of minotaur to death and make the whole encounter immediately trivial is good design, apparently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard