Next Thread
Print Thread
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Right now, I honestly never use it.

I'm not sure if anyone has found any good uses for it? Most of the time I forget I have it, because the few times I thought "hey I can use Mage Hand" didn't work. Like opening a chest from afar.

There's been times where there's an item I can see, but can't reach, and I thought "hey mage hand" but it does seem like Mage Hand is just as grounded as me. The Arcane Tricster version also doesn't seem to have all that much use? (Which is sad, because Rogue is already gimped so much by the current Larian rules)

So, any good uses people have found, beyond using it in combat (Which is kinda stretching what Mage Hand is allowed to do)?

Or anything that could have been done to change it? Honestly I would have though a "telekenisis" sort of application would have made it feel a little more usable than he floating hand of pushing.

I can never get Mage Hand to work on anything :X.

The enemy can use it on objects and topple them down, but whenever I try to use it on objects, it doesn't do anything.

Larian, is this spell broken atm?

journeyman
journeyman
+1. It doesn't do anything but hit as far as I can see. You can't disarm traps or open chests with it. It doesn't -do- anything worth a spell slot and yet it's great when watching a D&D RPing Stream. I agree with you.

journeyman
journeyman
I used it to exactly twice. 1. To fetch Necronomicon of Thay while not been trapped in room. But I found its more convenient to just break doors. 2. To test wheter I can shove with hidden Mage hand inside Fog while having 100% success. I can.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I used it quite a bit in the Underdark to navigate the mushrooms. It is useful in setting off the explosive ones or exploring the poisonous ones. But yeah, overall, it has been pretty underwhelming. The whole reason I go Arcane Trickster is to get it so I hope it becomes more useful later in development.

Last edited by DistantStranger; 03/11/20 11:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
I casted to push two Gith down of the gate. Worked wonders but felt a bit of a cheat since it doesn't enter combat when you do.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
This spell is currently completely the opposite of what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be a utility tool which can interact with items from a distance or carry things. Instead it is a combat summon with HP which can attack and shove.

This needs to be fixed. Surely it has to be on the list.

journeyman
journeyman
I honestly kept forgetting about it.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Stabbey
This spell is currently completely the opposite of what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be a utility tool which can interact with items from a distance or carry things. Instead it is a combat summon with HP which can attack and shove.

This needs to be fixed. Surely it has to be on the list.

I think that's how I feel too. As I said: It would make more sense if they just implemented it as "Telekinesis" in DOS2, but with an "interaction" sort of ability too it for doors and levers etc.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
I can never get Mage Hand to work on anything :X.

The enemy can use it on objects and topple them down, but whenever I try to use it on objects, it doesn't do anything.

Larian, is this spell broken atm?

You have had an enemy using mage hand? Who? Where?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I use the Gith variant to push things in holes.

S
addict
addict
S
I tried to use it a few times one several chests that I knew were trapped, but I found that mage hand can't open chests. Very disappointing. When I use my mage hand in tabletop DnD, 90% of the time I will try to open a trapped chest with it.

veteran
veteran
Mage Hand has no business pushing anyone. There are actual spells for that.

It should be minor telekinesis to fetch small items and open and close doors. Which can be VERY beneficial if there are archers on the other side. Or pull a lever from a distance to close a portcullis to stop enemies.

D
D
When I saw that it has its own inventory I thought they'll allow it to pick up objects. Wich would be be prety close to what it should do. But it can't. It doesn't even fly (nothing in this game does). The only way to use it for what it was created by WotC, is to shove things repeatedly. Wich is inconvinient, and looks stupid.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I didn't realize you could push with it, that just took it from useless to overpowered.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I wouldn't say pushing is overpowered, because as stated above, there's other things that can push. We have familiars to do remote attacks and whatnot, spells that push, even bonus actions to push. Being able to interact with objects from afar is an irreplaceable asset for adventurers. I don't want to have my rogue die any time he fails a disarm check (which with my rng is most of the time). I want to use my mage hand in clever ways, to do things behind an NPC's back or spring traps on enemies rather than my party, not as a halfway point to Bigby's Hand. Right now it seems like its best use is what anyone can do as a bonus action. I don't even mind that much that it can't fly, but can it at least interact with objects?

C
CMF Offline
C
I was actually trying to test if it could be used to trigger sneak attack on rogues as counting as a combatant near the enemy target, but it was so inconsistent as enemies kept moving away from it. That would be one interesting use for a arcane trickster shooting arrows from a distance. Additionally it is supposed to gain additional functions, but it feels under developed.

Pushing targets is ok, but maybe over powered as it allows you to basically have a second action (or was it bonus action?) on a target.

I was hoping since it was floating I could use it to go over non-navigational terrain like water or steep rocks to reach loot boxes or switches, but that didn't work either.

old hand
old hand
Mage Hand is all weird right now. It can Shove people, but it can't open a chest? Wat.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I guess we put this on the pile of "DnD rules that Larian have changed, for no good reason"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
I guess we put this on the pile of "DnD rules that Larian have changed, for no good reason"

I'm not so sure. This seems to be more like the summon system isn't fully developed yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard