Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Well from what I've seen so far DA4's story seems to be exactly about Tevinter and the Qunari. I also am very interested in such a story. Furthermore, the art showcases a strong female Qunari character as a possible companion.

The Qunari are possibly my least favourite race in DA. It didn't help that they altered appearance so much between Origins and Inquisition.

Having said which, my current DA:I character is a female Qunari mage.

Yeah I have a love-hate relationship with the Qunari. And for me it doesn't help that the Qunari are portrayed physically to be so immense to be somewhat unrealistic. How does any other humanoid even come close to surviving, let alone competing, with such massive brutes in combat? And don't even get me started on the mechanics of Qunari-human/elf sex.

veteran
veteran
I really enjoyed the Qunari in DAO and DA2. I don't remember what role they played in DAI though. Physical appearance aside, they are very interesting.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Well from what I've seen so far DA4's story seems to be exactly about Tevinter and the Qunari. I also am very interested in such a story. Furthermore, the art showcases a strong female Qunari character as a possible companion.

The Qunari are possibly my least favourite race in DA. It didn't help that they altered appearance so much between Origins and Inquisition.

Having said which, my current DA:I character is a female Qunari mage.

Yeah I have a love-hate relationship with the Qunari. And for me it doesn't help that the Qunari are portrayed physically to be so immense to be somewhat unrealistic. How does any other humanoid even come close to surviving, let alone competing, with such massive brutes in combat? And don't even get me started on the mechanics of Qunari-human/elf sex.

Originally Posted by Abits
I really enjoyed the Qunari in DAO and DA2. I don't remember what role they played in DAI though. Physical appearance aside, they are very interesting.

I try not to get too hung up by fantastical evolutionary biology, much like how the Klingon's from the original series of Star Trek changed later, I won't make a big deal of it if the games don't. As for their role in the story of Inquisition: not much, apart from reminding the player they're a big player up north. Iron Bull as a companion gets a romance and a story involving him choosing to follow the Qun or look out for his comrades. I think there was a DLC that had a Qunari plot but I can't remember a thing about it.

Last edited by Sozz; 15/11/20 03:51 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
well they are the only interresting race from that setting and also probably the only realy interresitn concept...

addict
addict
this game sounds cool, when does it come out?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

In between Cyberpunk 2077 and Half-Life 3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

In between Cyberpunk 2077 and Half-Life 3.

Don't forget Knights of the Old Republic 3

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Why this discussion is so long? DA:O would have been a good game if not for its extremely bland story: "Hordes of murder hobos kill everything and everyone, just because, and only one person can stop them." The writer of this crap should stop working in the gaming industry. The only way it can be appealing, if you never ever played any other CRPGs and evil for the sake of evil hordes are somehow a refreshing plot to you.

veteran
veteran

According to the most recent EA earnings report, no earlier than 2022. But my guess would be first half of 2023.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
well they are the only interresting race from that setting and also probably the only realy interresitn concept...

Agreed. That's the 'love' part of my love-hate relationship with them. wink

But I also thing DA has done some nice things with their elves and dwarfs to make them more unique and different from D&D.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maerd
Why this discussion is so long? DA:O would have been a good game if not for its extremely bland story: "Hordes of murder hobos kill everything and everyone, just because, and only one person can stop them." The writer of this crap should stop working in the gaming industry. The only way it can be appealing, if you never ever played any other CRPGs and evil for the sake of evil hordes are somehow a refreshing plot to you.

A game doesn't need a complicated or convoluted plot in order to be good.

Dragon Age Origins and DLC was really great.. the companions were varied and fun. The second one was not great but the combat felt great,

Inquisition was abysmal.. its over obsession with religion ruined it for me and the charaters companions mirrored current BG3, they were all horrible, fighting with each other 24/7, they also had a straight white male agenda thing going on in bioware at the time as well so all male romances were horrid, and for me that's what ruined it.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 16/11/20 04:11 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
i agree that a game doesnt need a convoluted plot , but considering how DAO got hailed as the second coming of CRPGs and somehow praised for its story, i figure that the central badguy plot might actually need some more nuance to it.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sordak
i agree that a game doesnt need a convoluted plot , but considering how DAO got hailed as the second coming of CRPGs and somehow praised for its story, i figure that the central badguy plot might actually need some more nuance to it.

Well that's kind of the thing about Dragon Age: Origins, the main threat, the darkspawn and archdemon, are not as important as the world they are trying to destroy. The biggest conflicts outside of battling monsters are political ones, and despite you running around the country, desperately trying to convince people to help you, everyone's is tied up in their own drama or conflict. Your actions and decisions then decide who your allies in the final battle will be, and what your companions will think of you. The reason people like the plot of DA:O so much is because the characters you meet, and your own investments with the happenings of the world, make you care what happens to it. And that makes the darkspawn threat an actual threat.

If you actually wanted more nuance to the darkspawn though, the entire Awakening DLC did that pretty well (from what I remember, it's been a while). Too bad the sequels kinda stopped giving a shit about the darkspawn, beside Corypheus, though. DA2 and Inquistion really had too many interesting plot threads to follow and they both went with some of the most boring ones for their main plot in the end, bah.

You could also play that one DLC where you play as the darkspawn horde storming Denerim and killing all of you allies lol.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zeel
The biggest conflicts outside of battling monsters are political ones, and despite you running around the country, desperately trying to convince people to help you, everyone's is tied up in their own drama or conflict. Your actions and decisions then decide who your allies in the final battle will be, and what your companions will think of you. The reason people like the plot of DA:O so much is because the characters you meet, and your own investments with the happenings of the world, make you care what happens to it. And that makes the darkspawn threat an actual threat.

Yes, but unfortunately those are not well explored. Whole middle between Battle of Ostagar and before Landsmeet puts everything on hold, for couple linear “dungeons” which simply aren’t very good or interesting. In spite of “grey” morality conflicts there are extremely one sided (why would anyone side with Templar’s?). They are also rather generic, while still having massive lore dumps. World and people are poorly define, and fragmented and it doesn’t come together. So no, I never felt darkspawn was a threat to anyone AFTER Battle of O.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
and the charaters companions mirrored current BG3, they were all horrible, fighting with each other 24/7

Lol, did we play the same game? I mainly ran with Varric, Cassandra amd Vivienne (sometimes swapped to Solas or Dorian). Banter was witty, sarcastic and rather friendly.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Verte
and the charaters companions mirrored current BG3, they were all horrible, fighting with each other 24/7

Lol, did we play the same game? I mainly ran with Varric, Cassandra amd Vivienne (sometimes swapped to Solas or Dorian). Banter was witty, sarcastic and rather friendly.

That's the beauty of having a lot of companions, you can form a clique with the ones you like :p

enthusiast
enthusiast
And none of them had a tadpole, therefore they were not forced to work together. All celebrated together (well, beside you-know-whom) at the end, friendship sparked lol

The best summary

addict
addict

Like, did everyone somehow forget that in BG2 different companions would argue with each other constantly and then fight each other to the death?

veteran
veteran

Like, did everyone somehow forget that in BG2 different companions would argue with each other constantly and then fight each other to the death?

Very good point, I honestly don't understand the criticism of a character being 'unlikable' , that goes for companions and player characters. A clash of personalities can be as interesting as a bromide of backslapping and mutual admiration can be uninteresting.
Plus it gives your characters places to go during the story!

Last edited by Sozz; 17/11/20 12:39 AM.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard