Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Iszaryn
I like the camp the way it is. The way I see is is this, the leader tadpole that the player character has teleports everyone to the camp and back.

Reminds me of Dragon Age Origins where you just instantly appear in the camp when you click on the camp.

If we actually had the possibility of teleporting at will then why wouldn't we use it in battle, what do we want misty step for if we have such amazing powers that we can jump in space? Why would we travel by foot through the underdark or any other dangerous roads towards
Moonrise tower
if we can just teleport?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by drimaxus
If we want to feel this adventure as a real Journey then the "coming back to the same camp every night" idea has to go. D&D is very much about a Journey, not only personal for each character but also about travelling and all the challenges that come up when you have to find a place to sleep in a wild and dangerous area.

Right now coming back to the same camp feels not only immersion breaking (because the camp isn't even real, it exists in a parallel dimension) but also feels like a set back, like going back on our own steps. Always the same camp, same beds, etc.

Imagine if the Fellowship of the Ring never left Rivendel and they did small quests from that location and came back every night for dinner and sleep. Boring, right? And at least for me just changing a bit the scenery of the camp once you move to a different chapter doesn't cut it (which is what I anticipate that they are trying to do).

I believe the stationary camp should go away, and we should have something more like Pathfinder Kingmaker where you have to find a suitable place for camping and build improvised tents and fire, watch for danger, etc.

[A bit, well more than a bit, of sarcasm and irony to follow. Just because of the verb choose "Has to". Imperative. Demanding. I want something, and I want it now and as I said.]

Realism. Flying dragons, vampires, half demon races, goblins, hags, undead, ability to talk with corpses and animals.

Yeah. Indeed.

Oh and the Journey. Because you know, explore the map, the wreckage area, the old temple ruins, the druids lair, the swamp, the goblin camp, the blighted village, the high road, the under dark (all of this areas with their own sub areas) that is not a journey.

In a game that, like many others, doesn't count the flowing of time (seriously, the corpses of mobs killed in the crash site are in the exact same condition when the toon moves to the end of early access, and, wasn't for the need to heal and replenish magic and actions slots, a player can explore all the map without the sun falling down, the only time you see the pass of time is the alert the pops up when you click the "camp" button. It asks if you are sure to end the day and turn to the camp.

That is: there's no teleport just the various areas need at max some hours fo journey.

I love the static camp, but a lot of tinkering and adjustment in how the game uses the flow of time is very much needed, so that sometimes they arrive to the camp (both in fast travel or in camp rest) in different parts of the day, and return to the area from where they fast traveled.

Or they could use a simpler solution: mark the camp site with a rune so that the far distance teleporting wouldn't feel so strange, the complexity of the change would be minimal and they could maintain the reasons why they decide to opt for a static camp instead of following the steps of the previous BG in wich you could rest anywhere that is the will to maintain the (in my opinion alienating) fact the all the exploration, fighting, and so on happens in full day, the fact that the camp becames a repository for npcs and non active companions, the chance to let the characters to have a full rest and so the ability to recharge action and spell slots.

Oh before I forgot, indeed Tolkien didn't write all the journey but the main important pit stops.

Last edited by Bufotenina; 07/11/20 07:59 PM.
Banned
Banned
I don't see why they couldn't keep the DA:Origins style camp but also add on top of it a 'dungeon camp' akin to the one in Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Like, if you click rest in the Underdark or in the forest, for example, instead of the whole immersion-breaking teleportation something like this shows up:

[img]https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...e&s=afd22a2bdceb91815f8df9742fe9a71b[/img].

A portable camp, basically. I know i would have loved something like that in Dragon Age Origins itself, for immersion and convenience (especially in the deep roads)

S
addict
addict
S
I loved the system Pathfinder: Kingmaker had, where you could set up camp basically everywhere (like Innateagle said), and where you could assign watches, cooking, hunting and other activities that would benefit you. This system would not exclude all the stuff thats already happening in camp, like talking to companions, romance etc., but it would add SO much more of a D&D feeling to the game.

stranger
stranger
I'am agree with you Sigi98.

Please kick out the campfire system as well as the teleportation portals, these systems have nothing to do with an adult role-playing game.
In addition, when I ask a member to leave the team, it will be fine to choose between leaving definitely or offering to meet us somewhere (a place consistent with his background).

Last edited by Terremer; 09/11/20 06:14 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can't wait 'til we reach the big city and we still use this camp instead of an inn

Banned
Banned
Yeah I definitely want a Campside for

° the "Wicked Rest" outdoors
° inside an abandoned house
° inside a gigantic ruin

° in a cave on the surface
° in the underdark scene
° in a cave like were BOOOAAAL lived (lol)

° an Inn
° a Mansion
° a Castle

Hell yeah.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Innateagle
I don't see why they couldn't keep the DA:Origins style camp but also add on top of it a 'dungeon camp' akin to the one in Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Like, if you click rest in the Underdark or in the forest, for example, instead of the whole immersion-breaking teleportation something like this shows up:

[img]https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...e&s=afd22a2bdceb91815f8df9742fe9a71b[/img].

A portable camp, basically. I know i would have loved something like that in Dragon Age Origins itself, for immersion and convenience (especially in the deep roads)

There are also several safe and less safe locations in the Underdark that could have a long rest spot. Like beds in an abandoned / empty settlement or a campfire icon you could click on to start a long rest in a location without teleporting anywhere.

Some player convenience features need to exist but BG3 is just way too convenient.

Blighted Village has houses with fireplaces. Tieflings basically have a whole settlement. There's an abandoned campsite on the map. Goblin fort after it has been cleared.... I don't understand WHY we need to teleport to a pocket dimension camp since many logical resting places exist.

Last edited by 1varangian; 09/11/20 07:06 PM.
Banned
Banned
True, true.

I just had a nice idea. Resting places similar to Bonfire checkpoints.
They will be visible and marked when you arrive there by a passive outline.
And you will recieved a Message.

This location is usable as a resting place.
Some of them are available right away.
Others need to be cleared/secured first.
Yet others are simply, extremly hidden ( which makes them safe in the first place ).

Would be nice and cool.

This also means you must venture without wasting too much time, taking the groups mental and physical exhaustion in mind.
We know they note when they feel tired and wasted, right?
If we let our characters walk for lets say 15 minutes of ingame playtime without at least a short rest or something, they start to feel exhausted.
And if we don't rest, long or short, after another 15 minutes, they will start to get debuffs.
Even Lae'zel. ^_^

I imagine only three or four restingplaces in the "First Act" of the game on the surface level.
This would make travel and planning feel way more meaningful.

M
stranger
stranger
M
The camp should stay.

It feels a little dragon age 1-ish, which is okay, because it also feels very D&D

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Just to add my two cents, I too hate the camp and wish it was in a place we picked and could be attacked during the night sometimes and the fast travel runes bother me too. The two just take away so much immersion its sad. When you attack the goblins, you can kill a few, go camp, kill a few more, camp again. Same thing on the 3 goblin bosses. So why not just make spells and such usable without limit or rest.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by merkmerk73
The camp should stay.

It feels a little dragon age 1-ish, which is okay, because it also feels very D&D

I agree with this.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by merkmerk73
The camp should stay.

Any sort of implementation of a "camping" mechanic "feels like D&D".
The problem here is that the current one is a damn poor implementation of that idea.

So poor, in fact, that it's even hard to judge it properly because you can't tell how much of it is missing.
Still, the current idea of an instanced, static and separate "camping location" that exists in a bubble outside of the game world is a fairly cheap and immersion-breaking one, with plenty of other games doing better in that sense.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
It's clear to me that they do intend for battles to take place in the camp. Look at all those conspicuous flat rock ledges around. They aren't there for looks, because they look unnatural. They're there to use in battle.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I agree with the OP. The teleport camp takes away a lot from the adventure feel. Look at the game Pathfinder: Kingmaker. That game has done a brilliant job of implementing a camp mechanic that is simple and immersive, while at the same time offering meaningful choices.

veteran
veteran
Throne of Bhaal had the pocket plane now that I think about it. So maybe Larian should do something like that. Absulte plane or something

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
Throne of Bhaal had the pocket plane now that I think about it. So maybe Larian should do something like that. Absulte plane or something

ToB was ENTIRELY set into a pocket plane, to be specific.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bufotenina

[A bit, well more than a bit, of sarcasm and irony to follow. Just because of the verb choose "Has to". Imperative. Demanding. I want something, and I want it now and as I said.]

Realism. Flying dragons, vampires, half demon races, goblins, hags, undead, ability to talk with corpses and animals.

Yeah. Indeed.

Oh and the Journey. Because you know, explore the map, the wreckage area, the old temple ruins, the druids lair, the swamp, the goblin camp, the blighted village, the high road, the under dark (all of this areas with their own sub areas) that is not a journey.

When you are travelling somewhere, let's say Moonrise towers, or any other place for the matter maybe going on holidays IRL, you stop along the way. And you don't go back every day to the same camp or hotel because that means that you aren't really advancing, right?

A journey by definition is travelling from one place to another, in this game there is no travelling, just exploration around the area during the day and back to the same spot every night.

Finally, let's not talk about realism but verisimilitude if you want, that is the appearance of being true or real. Good fantasy also has rules of which things are plausible and which aren't, because without it there would be no immersion. Isn't it what fantasy is about? Transporting your mind to another world or into a story that feels like it could have been real? If you can't understand that then there is nothing to debate with you, we are just different types of players then...

OP Offline
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
True, true.

I just had a nice idea. Resting places similar to Bonfire checkpoints.
They will be visible and marked when you arrive there by a passive outline.
And you will recieved a Message.

This location is usable as a resting place.
Some of them are available right away.
Others need to be cleared/secured first.
Yet others are simply, extremly hidden ( which makes them safe in the first place ).

Would be nice and cool.

This also means you must venture without wasting too much time, taking the groups mental and physical exhaustion in mind.
We know they note when they feel tired and wasted, right?
If we let our characters walk for lets say 15 minutes of ingame playtime without at least a short rest or something, they start to feel exhausted.
And if we don't rest, long or short, after another 15 minutes, they will start to get debuffs.
Even Lae'zel. ^_^

I imagine only three or four restingplaces in the "First Act" of the game on the surface level.
This would make travel and planning feel way more meaningful.

+1 to this, like you said it would also make you consider taking the opportunity of camping when you can, because there isn't a short cut back to resting for whenever you need.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard