Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Nov 2020
E
member
Offline
member
E
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by Surface R
5e is tabletop. This is a video game.
Its not the same as moving slightly aside to let someone else pass. At all. Especially in TB combat where movement has cost.
And that in no way answers the few examples i wrote.

I cant see how actually watching character pass through other characters would look good in any way, or play well in any way.


Not arguing with you; just adding another view on some of the subjects. It is a multiverse, after all (and the movement's cost for passing through allied space is calculated too). Examples concerning mages and fighters? What is wrong with allowing your ally to pass by, *if* you are aware of his current positions and intent? It's a foundation of a good teamplay.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
Decent list, but no we need to change the "Bonus actions" that are supposed to be actions. It's a game balance issue, and it affects so many things.
Rogues are nerfed because of it.
Shield Master Feat is nerfed because of it.
Goblins are nerfed because of it (They have disengage as a bonus action)
Melee characters/monsters are nerfed because of this. (Less opportunity attacks)

I agree with much of the lest, but no, these things needs to be changed back. Especially if they are going to keep high ground and back attack advantages, because free disengage makes getting those advantages so much easier to do.



Rogues should get something else to compensate.

Shield Master isn't in the game, but if they do add it, why not just give people with the feat and who are using a shield advantage on their Shoves?

Goblins aren't nerfed, right now they're the only monsters who can Disengage at all.

Melee characters are still getting plenty of opportunity attacks, except against Goblins, because of their racial power.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
I didnt read whole threat, so im sorry if i will repeat someone else toughts.

42 OFFICIAL CHANGE REQUESTS:

AD 3. I wonder what do you think about the option i try to present in every second threat here ... curently im calling it "exhaustion bar" ...
Some bar, or some pointer, index, w/e ... simply something wich will deplenish slowly by time ... a bit faster with walking and talking ... and a lot faster by combat ... being partialy replenished with every short rest, and alowing players to long rest only when almost, or completely empty.
That way we would get both reasons to use short rest, and some restrictions of long rest ... also quite some time sence, so maybe if this would be used some minor events can be tied to that time. For example bugbear assasin, as was mentioned in different threat by someone else.

AD 4. I cant second this ideda ... since every object have another uses than just being looted, im affraid that reduction here would be more harming, than helping.
I believe some AoE loot would be most efficient to resolve this problem without harming anything else ... just let player to search everything in, lets say 5m radius, and everyone should be happy. smile

AD 5. I kinda like map we have right now, since i see very clearly where i explored everything, and where i may forget some bits ...
But i gues if "HD" map will have clear borders, it will be no problem.

AD 6. Although i agree with you, there is one chest i would not let player disarm with this kit:
Its the chest in blacksmithg cellar, there is no trap, its simply grit with gunpowder ... i kinda like you may simply burn it, and then open the chest safely ... i would like to see more traps like this, that can be disarmed differently than with dicerolling


AD 11. "Just like how Hex works now." Oh gods, litteraly anything but that. -_-
I have seen several opinions about spells ... personaly i like most that one, where someone sugested to make spellslosts indicator interactive to determine wich spell level you wish to cast ... its simple, its easy, it dont involves any non necesary menus to click trhough.
OR if you decide to create this system ... make it optional, allow us to choose wich we like the most. :-/

AD 12. I would say that hitboxes are in general ridiculously big ...
But here i would say not just during combat ... just yesterday i have watched in Underdark Lae'zel decided to climp up the cliff and jump from there (and die), instead of simply walk around Shadowheart and jump, just like every other character ... bcs she was in the way.

AD 21. I would like to add here, since i few days ago experienced different situation ... combat ended and all my characters was alive, but Astarion have last HP, and burning effect on himself ... i gues you know where story goes allready.
So ... if combat is hold while any member of our party is dead (mainly in case it can be Gale, that can wipe out potentily whole group when dead) and if our characters could automaticly sucess in downed rolldices outside combat (honestly ... for the same reason laugh ), that would be nice.

AD 22. I was thinking about this lately ... and since every highlight can still be overlooked, bcs even if we see that object while holding Alt, we also dont need to realize every time that this particular object was not there a few seconds ago.
What do you think about some chatlog, simmilar as we have in conversations, for our characters (and optionaly maybe even others) ... then how about our character while do sucesfull perception check says "Oh a %O", or "What is this %O", or i dunno "Maybe i should check this %O" where "%O" is object that perception was rolled for, instead of simple "Whats this" ...
That way if we dont notice anything, we simply read the chatlog and see our character said few seconds ago "Oh, a backpack" or "What is this burlap sack" or i dunno "Maybe i should check this cracked wall". smile

AD 23. While i agree ... i cannot agree with non existencional unlight torches ... since there is many dangerous and flamable gases in underdark, i would like to keep my option to not walk in there with open fire. laugh

AD 35. I would also like to add acrobatics, and maybe even dexterity ... maybe at least with reduced effectivity compared to athletics and strength, but i just cant help the feeling that dexterity based characters should be more agile. laugh
After all, when it comes to armor, they sacrifice personal protection in order to keep more flexibility ... its odd that warrior in full plate armor and tower shield jumps double the distance than rogue who with all his gear weights half. :-/

Whoa ... i expected myself to complain a lot more.
Very nice feedback indeed. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/11/20 11:13 AM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by feedback_wizard
This is a wonderful list. I agree with pretty much everything.

Right now Long Rests and Short rests being obsolete is the biggest problem of this game. Also the fact that solving encounters peacefully does not provide equal exp compared to solving encounters via combat. You already miss out on loot because often times the NPC's run away. Just make it so you cannot gain more exp after you solved this encounter peacefully so players don't exploit this for 2x exp.

Also rework the Siding with the Goblins storyline. It has pitiful rewards. And there is just no incentive to siding with them. They never promise to aid you with your Tadpole problem and they do not promise you to make its effects strong, either.
And the Questlog lies to you. The Questlog says "The absolute has awarded me with more power" but you get nothing. There is a dialogue after you finish the raid where it says something like "the tadpole is really happy, you are becoming." But there is no reward at all.
The best rewards are from killing Mintharra and the goblin leaders and you miss out on those when raiding the grove. Kadgas and Zevlors items are nice, but Kadga can simply be killed or die during the attack, or at the party, so you can easily get her items while not siding with the goblins.

Please change the writing of the Quest Journal. Throughought the whole EA: Your journal says "Removing the Parasite". However as we all know, this is not the goal for everyone. Astarion for example wants to keep the tadpole and its positive effects and learn how to control it. My personal character would want this aswell, so why does the game already force you into a decision? It should say something like "Find a healer to understand the tadpole" or "Learn about the parasite".

Please add Hexblade to the game and add something useful to Great Old one Warlock. There is no reason to pick it other than having a few different spells to chose from, but no bonus like Dark One's blessing level 1. Also Dark One's blessing is bugged sometimes and does not grant you temporary HP, even when you do not have False Life active.

The best part of this EA are the dream interactions and the promise of power and authority, and actually getting the powers of the Absolute via the Dreams and via a Questline in the underdark. These are amazing rewards and I hope you keep this up. But the evil Questline as siding with the Goblins is the worst part about EA. There is no incentive to do so. They never promise you to help you in your main goal. They do not offer any information, any cure, or increasing your powers. You have to actively force the evil playthrough in dialogue description without any incentive.

There is almost no information about the Brand of the Absolute. The game never explains to you that you can use the powerful items of the absolute now. There needs to be an option to force your party members to also receive the brand. Maybe use your Illithid powers to make them obey and brand them? And the fact that your character is branded NEEDS to be a tag in your character sheet.

Also siding with the goblins and a general evil playthrough is not about murdering everyone. During your evil playthrough you should also gain followers, or servants, or slaves. Similar to how a good character would gather followers united under the same goal, an evil character must also be able to gain followers who follow you because you are powerful, or because they are afraid of you. If you can add this to the game, then you will have a wonderful playthrough for both the good and the evil side. But please do not make the evil side "randomly murder a bunch of refugees or random npcs" and not help with our characters problem. Because thats what the goblin path is right now. And in the end, you feel stupid because they betray you. Which makes little sense given that you are a True Soul. Why should they listen to Mintharra over you?

Also magic items are great, but they need some tuning and balancing. The 18 int circlet is way too powerful. Change it to 16 instead.

The items which grant you spells to cast, like the Circlet of Blasting which grants you a cast of Scorching ray, needs to use your actual casting attribute instead of always using intelligence. Items like these favour mages because mages use intelligence. But they already have the most amount of spell slots, they do not need items like this as much.

On the other hand, an item which grants an additional cast of Scorching ray is very useful for my Warlock! But you made it so this Scorching ray uses intelligence instead of Charisma as a spellcasting modifier. So it has a really low chance to hit. This makes these items less useful as they should be. Please change the casting attribute for these items to match your class.



Some good points here, yeah. I haven't actually tried the siding with the Goblins path yet, but I'm going to soon. I'll have to see how I feel about it then.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Agrippa
Thank you for compiling this list! I may have missed it, but my additional request would be to either change how pausing works to make it instant and global or to add a real option for players to instantly do a global pause.



I would actually like it if when we press ESC to bring up menus, it would pause the game.

Joined: Oct 2020
R
addict
Offline
addict
R
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Agrippa
Thank you for compiling this list! I may have missed it, but my additional request would be to either change how pausing works to make it instant and global or to add a real option for players to instantly do a global pause.



I would actually like it if when we press ESC to bring up menus, it would pause the game.


It could be hard because of the multiplayer.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Multiplayer isn't multiplayer if you can't annoy your friends by constantly forcing their game paused


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Agrippa
Thank you for compiling this list! I may have missed it, but my additional request would be to either change how pausing works to make it instant and global or to add a real option for players to instantly do a global pause.



I would actually like it if when we press ESC to bring up menus, it would pause the game.


It could be hard because of the multiplayer.



I'd be fine with them having it work differently between singleplayer and multiplayer.

Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
I don't see how pausing should be a problem for multiplayer. BG had multiplayer, how they did it there?


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm not sure how pausing worked in BG multiplayer, I never played that game with anyone else.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by ciph
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
Decent list, but no we need to change the "Bonus actions" that are supposed to be actions. It's a game balance issue, and it affects so many things.
Rogues are nerfed because of it.
Shield Master Feat is nerfed because of it.
Goblins are nerfed because of it (They have disengage as a bonus action)
Melee characters/monsters are nerfed because of this. (Less opportunity attacks)

If I read Firesnakearies' feedback correctly, they want a bonus action that's not as powerful as the regular action. It makes sense.

A bonus action I'd like to see is Dodge, which is already 5e but not in BG3. If we can't get dodge, then I agree with Firesnakearies for other bonus actions, provided I read their feedback correctly.



Dodge is nice, and should definitely be in the game, but as a normal action. I suggested Cunning Action: Dodge as a possible replacement ability for Rogues, but that could be too powerful. Only Monks can normally use Dodge as a bonus action, and they have to spend Ki, a limited resource, to do it.

Letting someone bonus action Dodge every single round could be overpowered, I'm not sure.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
I dont remember what Dodge does, does if give you a bonus to AC or disadvantage to people attacking you or something?


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: Oct 2020
P
stranger
Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Oct 2020
I disagree about Disengage, having it as a bonus action really hurts martials, it diminishes their ability to keep enemies off their backline. They [Enemies you're trying to threaten] can already switch between ranged and melee weapons or attempt a shove, unlike in 5e.

Last edited by Pocket; 11/11/20 05:35 PM. Reason: clarity
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: Denmark
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: Denmark
Originally Posted by Dexai
I dont remember what Dodge does, does if give you a bonus to AC or disadvantage to people attacking you or something?

The latter. It's a regular action, so in a video game adaptation like BG3 it'd also serve a double function as it can be used as a "I want to pass my turn, but I don't want to not use my turn for anything" button.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Dodge is pretty strong, gives enemies disadvantage to attack you, and also gives you advantage on Dex saves.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Pocket
I disagree about Disengage, having it as a bonus action really hurts martials, it diminishes their ability to keep enemies off their backline. They [Enemies you're trying to threaten] can already switch between ranged and melee weapons or attempt a shove, unlike in 5e.



AI enemies aren't even using Disengage though, except for Goblins, who already had that as a racial ability.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Seraphael

The issue with Sacred Flame is that it doesn't benefit from the excessively easy way to leverage ADVANTAGE to ranged attacks (same goes for melee w/ flanking). This can be fixed somewhat with changing the homebrew as outlined below*. From bad to worse; Sacred Flame saves vs DEX which is the most heavily resisted save.

Larian's homebrew is GUARANTEED to break game balance in any number of ways and will force subsequent patchwork homebrew to fix what needn't be broken in the first place, so a better fix would be more authentic D&D rules whenever that doesn't get in the way of fun gameplay. A middle ground solution could be to give Clerics the non-PHB cantrip: "Toll the Dead" which saves vs WIS. Besides being strong on its own, this would afford Clerics with both cantrips the option to target the weakest save providing the class with a much needed combat boost w/o expending resources.

Shadowheart illuminates the problem further as she is very poorly built both mechanically and thematically (a roguish cleric of her sleight build should swap dex and str currently), so now she is poor both ranged and in melee outside of abusing the excessively imbalanced rest mechanic to cast spells every round.

BALANCED ADVANTAGE CHANGE (while still incentivising fun tactical mobile combat):
Flanking: +1 attack flank, +2 attack back
Higher Ground: +2 AC/DEX save (half cover to simulate defensible position). No disadvantage on attacking prone enemies on lower ground.



Toll the Dead could certainly help.

Shadowheart definitely needs better Dexterity, if she was halfway decent with a bow, it would make the suckiness of Sacred Flame less problematic for her.

I don't really agree with your proposed advantage changes, though. Here's my thing with Advantage. In tabletop D&D, there is literally an infinite number of ways to potentially get Advantage. Anything you want to try, anything the DM will allow. In every circumstance, you could come up with some creative way to get Advantage. Since you can't do any of that in BG3, being a programmed video game, I think adding a couple of systemic Advantage sources is a nice compromise. Getting Advantage would be really hard in the game if they removed Backstab and Higher Ground Advantage. I think that would be less fun.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Great suggestions. I agree to every one except the last one.

I don't like Disengage, Shove and Jump as bonus actions. They're cheesy and OP as it is and really spammable on top of that as bonus actions. 5th+ level Fighters should be able to both Shove prone and Attack and it's a good move against a high AC target getting that advantage and giving it to your team. Keep that a Fighter perk, they don't have that many.

I especially don't like the ability to both attack and disengage on the same turn. That gives too much free mobility to everyone and makes positioning in combat utterly meaningless. Tanks NEED to be able to punish enemies who run and control their movement. The combat is already a silly DPS king of the hill race as we have no Dodge, no Cover, defensive concentration effects won't last because the floor is lava everywhere, and high ground is completely OP. Choosing to engage an enemy needs to have consequences, on both sides.

About dice rolling. I want to see all the actual dice rolling on the lower left side of the screen where the attack breakdown is. It needlessly shows the percentage there for a second time as we can already see it on mouseover on the target. It would be especially important seeing Advantage / Disadvantage rolls there. I want to see the proof I failed a 94% shot. =)



I understand where you're coming from on the bonus actions, but I still think Larian's change to those makes the game more dynamic and fun. Especially for non-D&D players.

I totally agree with you on the dice, though. I would be really great to get those dice rolls on the screen.

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by feedback_wizard

Also something that should be added is combat-text window should automatically scroll to the bottom and keep scrolling if you have it open. Every time I want to check dice rolls in combat, I open the text window and then I have to scrol allllll the way to the bottom. Thats very annoying.



Oh, yes. It's irritating how the combat log currently works. It doesn't stay open, it doesn't stay expanded in size, and like you say, it forces you to scroll down every time for some reason. Hopefully they improve it significantly.

Joined: Oct 2020
H
stranger
Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Advantage & Disadvantage
Tell me when these apply by rolling two dice on skill checks and highlighting the one used! It would also be nice to see the modifiers to the target number in the final result.

Animal Companions & Familiars for Pact of the Chain
I’m assuming that this one is still under development.
• There are still issues with animal companions and familiars being summoned that the party is hostile towards and forces you into combat with. Also, it is annoying to position my imp only to have it immediately fly back to me when combat starts!
• The way it works now is cool and easy, but I suggest you make the player bind with one particular animal. This companion gains levels when the player does, but if killed can only be revived during a rest (short or long) with a ritual (possibly costing gold).
• Animal companions also are in desperate need of balancing!
• I don’t think the familiar should be able to gain levels (unlike an animal companion) unless the warlock permanently bonds to one in a manner similar to the one described above. Find familiar RAW is pretty much a random member of its kind.
• Casting find familiar costs gold and I think you should enforce this (it is not supposed to be a regenerating hp fountain, and definitely not a leveling regenerating hp fountain)!

Climbing
Climbing counts as difficult terrain. If caught halfway while climbing, an easy fix is to give disadvantage to attacks and advantage on incoming attacks. Creatures or characters with climbing speeds or special abilities can climb at full speed.

Initiative
When I end my turn for a character and multiple characters are going on the same initiative, the game sometimes skips the second character’s turn. Have also seen problems with joining a melee already in progress, such as restarting from the first creature’s initiative when a new combatant joins in.

Lighting

Lots of confusion on this. I have stood next to a goblin by a fire with a light spell on my weapon and had disadvantage because my target is in shadows. Darkvision seems to work sporadically, and Devil’s Sight seems to have problems as well.

Pathing Through Hazardous Terrain Out of Combat
While the character I am controlling usually does pretty well, the other PCs following the character often blunder through vines with thorns, fire that burns, pools of acid and poison, and webs/ice. I know it’s a difficult problem, but with how you do your party chaining/un-chaining, it is imperative you get this right.

Pathing Through Hazardous Terrain In Combat
Require a double-click to complete a path that runs through hazardous terrain or by opponents threatened squares, as well as highlighting the potential problems. It is easy to be threatened and yet not be in range for an opportunity attack, and I can’t tell when this is the case. Would also solve the jump problem (I occasionally aim a jump landing a little bit outside the circle – my character moves, provokes an OA, and then jumps).

Reactions
Reactions are a big part of 5E. Counterspell, parry, shield, etc. are all needed. I hope you are putting them in, and in some way that they can be turned off and on (much like the Great Weapon Fighting feat) and then bringing up a query pop-up on whether or not to use them. I know they are a pain, but it’s part of the game!
Note that with some characters, this could get complex, especially if you allow multi-classing. I say fine. Give the player a warning and then let them have 3 questions about abilities they might like to use each time an opponent targets them.

Targeting
While its cool that goblins act intelligent and target the weakest looking character, not all monsters should do this. Ogres and giants would challenge the toughest looking-warrior, undead and fiends target clerics and paladins, beasts tend to look for whoever is tastiest, and fey the most charismatic. I suggest you institute this and not make combat a mere chess game between the player and computer.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5