Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#727977 05/11/20 12:15 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm interested in the players' opinion. It's about the race of the main character you play in the first playthrough - not just for fun. That is, if for example you like halflings, talk about it if you are really going to play the whole game as a halfling in the first playthrough after the release

I like drow and elves, I wanted to take an drow for evil and elf for a good passage, but when I found out about the existence of the Drow Elistraee, I decided to play only for the drow. It makes the gameplay more interesting and I really like this race.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
W
veteran
veteran
W
Half-Drow for me. Half-Elves are great in general in 5E, and I like Half-Drow access to multiple spells (though their cantrip is pretty useless in this game) and bonus to Cha is great for warlocks, my favorite class. I also like them visually. I give them Drow skin with black hair. And finally, I get the fun of being a Drow (more or less), but more latitude to lorefully have a completely non-Drow background. I like my characters to be relatively normal individuals who get thrust into grand adventures unwittingly. Basically modeled after my first fantasy hero, Bilbo Baggins.

And I do have a background composed for a pleasant, laidback more or less normal warlock.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wood elf, half elf or drow would be probably more efficient for rogue, but my type (so far) is half-drow, real outcast there xD

Well normally I'd play a boring human or a warforged, but I played a drow, tiefling, and high elf so far. Never been much of a fan of playing half-elves, but have done half-orc. Only because playing a full blooded orc usually isn't an option. I am considering playing a dwarf cleric at some point, but I want full-plate as an option if I'm going to be playing a Cleric of Moradin.

N
old hand
old hand
N
The Classic Half Orc champion

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
You could give me a whole menagerie of playable races, or a galaxy full of sentient species, and I'll almost always play a human. For whatever reason, I always feel like I have to play to "type" whenever I play another race - Elven rangers, druids, or mages, Dwarven fighters or maybe clerics (though I still don't "get" clerics), Half-orc barbarians, etc. Humans, though, have no "type," so I can run with concepts like a hyperactive kid running with scissors.

However, give me the means to create my own species (or race, or whatever you want to call it), and I'll be happy as a pig wallowing in whatever pigs are happy wallowing in.

veteran
veteran
I was thinking of making a gnome illusionist because that was the first character I ever made in Baldur's Gate one but after playing a halfling in the EA, I think maybe that's what I'll do.

old hand
old hand
It looks like drow are getting the most unique dialogue choices, so first I'll be making one of those (Seldarine, naturally, I'm the "For goodness!" type). And probably a tiefling next, because I'm definitely doing at least two runs, and I need to see what [Tiefling] responses pop up in dialogue for fanfic-related research purposes.

journeyman
journeyman
I'll do a High Elf wizard or cleric of Corellon for my first full playthrough.

V
stranger
stranger
V
I’ve gravitated towards either drow or tiefling in past P&P campaigns. I’m likely going to go with Lolth-sworn drow priestess when the full game is out. I also chose this for my first EA run and want to stick with it. This is the first game I’ve encountered that actually lets you pick this type of character.

I was also looking forward to tiefling but part of the draw is their uniqueness. There are so many tieflings in EA that it now seems like a rather mundane choice to me so drow it is.

addict
addict
I'm currently planning for an half-elf evil Paladin as my first playthrough. It will be between half-high elf or half-drow, I'm not quite sure yet, depends on the look I can give my character.

Saying that, there is still many many months until the game release and this might change.

T
addict
addict
T
I tend to like "weird" races which is to say that they're not really that weird because lots of people play them but people like to say they're "weird" or "trendy".

I'm uncertain precisely what I'll play all the way through, but I did find a really pretty character design I want to play the full game through and am saving for then.

[Linked Image]

stranger
stranger
While I add fresh candles to my summoning circle for Aasimar to be made a playable race, I play as a half high elf. Darkvision and that spicy charisma bonus were rather enticing.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Gamblerr
While I add fresh candles to my summoning circle for Aasimar to be made a playable race, I play as a half high elf. Darkvision and that spicy charisma bonus were rather enticing.

If they add Yuan-ti...doing that immediately.

old hand
old hand
While I add fresh candles to my summoning circle for Aasimar to be made a playable race, I play as a half high elf.

I'll donate a candle or two to that cause. Maybe I should also wave some cash in Larian's direction and whisper, "DLC!"

T
T
I had hoped that playing Early Access and experimenting with classes, races, and getting to know the NPCs would help me decide what race/class I wanted for my 1st official full playthrough. But 125 hours in and I'm more conflicted than ever!!

But I guess most likely would be a Half-Elf Sorcerer (assuming they add the class) with a Shadowheart romance.

For my first co-op playthrough I'm likely going with a Halfling Rogue.

Originally Posted by trengilly
I had hoped that playing Early Access and experimenting with classes, races, and getting to know the NPCs would help me decide what race/class I wanted for my 1st official full playthrough. But 125 hours in and I'm more conflicted than ever!!

But I guess most likely would be a Half-Elf Sorcerer (assuming they add the class) with a Shadowheart romance.

For my first co-op playthrough I'm likely going with a Halfling Rogue.

I know where you are coming from and all are excellent choices. I think I'd play a Drow or Tiefling Sorcerer and I know many might laugh at me for saying this a Drow Paladin or Monk. I like Drow what can I say. Anyways, I would like to see the other classes and sub-classes added soon with the cap at level 4 still in place to see how they match up to the classes they gave to us starting off.

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
While I add fresh candles to my summoning circle for Aasimar to be made a playable race, I play as a half high elf.

I'll donate a candle or two to that cause. Maybe I should also wave some cash in Larian's direction and whisper, "DLC!"

I too shall donate for the cause. Aasimars and Tieflings just have to be in FR. I mean the gods and goddesses not to mention the tons of planar beings that fornicate across the Realms means they are more common than in most settings and were a standard race in the campaign setting. Would also like to see the Genasi added as well. Good old Calimshan has many to offer! wink

Anyways, I hope we don't have to have a DLC for that and get it in the main game. Here is to hoping for more! grin

Last edited by Ghost King; 05/11/20 05:29 AM.
T
T
I would rather have more detailed race specific conversation options, NPC reactions, and events than more races added.
I don't think there is enough race specific stuff in the game as it is now.

But if they can do both then great! But just tossing in lots of races if the game isn't going to be responsive to them is disappointing to me.

old hand
old hand
Drow ranger/sorc for evil playthrough or half Drow rogue for neutral. Depends on my mood which will be first. Have a hard time playing only good but if I did, that character would be some sort of half elf.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wood Elf Rogue/Arcane Trickster, follower of Fenmarel Mestarine

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DistantStranger; 05/11/20 05:52 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard