Print Thread
#728130 05/11/20 07:12 AM
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Heyo!

Looting doesn't seem to have changed at all since the original Baldur's Gate days... And it's soooo tedious. Is there no way to make it simpler, easier, more streamlined?

For instance, as you walk into a room/sector, maybe you could just have a loot button and all the items in the room appear in a list and you can choose the ones you want to pick up.

You could have a perception check built in for some hidden items.

To reward exploration, you could have buttons/levers/etc hidden that you could interact with for additional stuff.

As it is now, spending 10-15 min just looking through every drawer of a room is tedious and not fun and I think this system in western RPGs needs to be reconsidered. (Sidenote, why is inventory management a thing? JRPGs, like Final Fantasy, don't have this problem, why is this a thing in CRPGs?)

Also, there should really be a loot every corpse button, as in the Pillars of Eternity games.

Discuss!

D
D
Yep.
I made almost exact same suggestion using feedback form.
I mean, it's not hard to set 3-4 levels of ability check to find stuff. And then just loot everything in area.
Without this sometimes looting takes more time than combat.

veteran
veteran
Whole room seem a bit extreme ... but some 2-5meters circle will be nice.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Yep.
I made almost exact same suggestion using feedback form.
I mean, it's not hard to set 3-4 levels of ability check to find stuff. And then just loot everything in area.
Without this sometimes looting takes more time than combat.

Oh, cool! I mean, what is supposed to be the enjoyable part of the game? Minimize tedium and maximize time spent on the fun stuff. To be clear, RECEIVING loot is fun, opening drawers is not.

veteran
veteran
I totally disagree with much of this suggestion.
What you suggest is a shopping list in every room with perception check to sometimes add an interresting item on this list.

Searching and opening containers / loot on dead bodies / is a part of this kind of game and I like it.
That's also how you sometimes find something interresting you didn't find on your first playtrough.

I'm not especially against a "loot every corpse button" even if I'm not really interrested but in what range ? These are open or big maps so what's the limit ? Should we click that button every 5m ? 10m ? 15m ? if the corpse are not grouped ?

What I agree is that is as actually boring in BG3 because :
- There are too many (empty or not) containers everywhere
- There are too many useless items to loot

Just stick to a few food items, a few crafting items, gems, gold, potions, weapons and armors and we're done with the actual chore.
Less items = Less containers
Less containers = Less time to loot.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/11/20 10:30 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
BeamDog added an improved looting system for the Infinity games. That alone was enough to justify paying for the Enhanced Editions for me. With Neverwinter Nights, though, adding an improved looting system would break a number of things in much of the custom content that has been created over there. If Larian opts to release a good toolset for Baldur's Gate 3, there is bound to be lots of custom content to be created. They'll have to consider that, too. Would an area effect looting system break things like scripts that are tied to picking up objects?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually the looting AND the Item management are really not up to todays convenience in games.

Of course theres the search and find minigame by opening so much things and be surprised,
BUT this is poorly implemented BECAUSE all items in Baldurs Gate have their fixed Locations.
There's not much random loot happening and especially not important random loot. BESIDES the Traders.

The Item management in the Inventory and as well as all kind of Containers needs a total overhaul.
What we have in the EA shall not be the actual funcitonality in the release Version.
The actual design for this is tedious, boring, repetitive and very timeconsuming.

The Player, that is us, is not an Adventurer anymore. Larian has made all Players to be like marauders and corpse looters.
Its like the main agenda we have is to rummage anything we come across.
Thereby wasting precious time in which the Tadpole could change us into a Mindflayer. Contraproductive as a whole. Taking time time to find better gear to make us survive in the end. Very Questionable way of telling us we need to hurry or we might be are a Mindflayer next day.
This is a joke Larian, dont make us do such stupid thing. We dont have time to do that.

Solutions:
Community has a lot of good ideas for better item managment and thers also a lot of good RPGs out there with a better loot System. Just copy it and make the community and fans of BG 3 a very happy crowd. Even the Game critics will praise Larian Studios if you do it better then any game before.
JUST DO IT!

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I don't mind the looting, in fact looting is part of the RPG experience.

What I do mind is that using ALT to see what's lootable doesn't show EVERYTHING I can loot! I'd rather have them give me only the objects that contain items.

If I don't have to loot anything, what's the point of having loot in the game? If it just pops up in my inventory.

old hand
old hand
Yep.

[Linked Image]

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'd be all for a "loot" button for after a battle, looting all of the corpses (that aren't considered stealing, like at the gates of the druid grove). All other corpses (the ones already littering the map), containers, chests, and scattered items should be optional. You don't have to search through all of the crates and barrels to find an apple (to Firesnakearies' point), but you can if you want to.

I personally like the looting aspect. I do agree that there should be a sense of randomness when you loot containers and such, but this is EA, and that will probably change. Same thing with so many empty containers. I think they just haven't filled them yet due to it not really being an important testing tool for the game. This EA is for testing and making the game itself better, so in this regards, just be patient.

As far a a loot all button, you might have to wait for the modders on that. If it's optional, then fine, but I personally like to actually search and loot things. In this case, it's personal preference.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not especially against a "loot every corpse button" even if I'm not really interrested but in what range ? These are open or big maps so what's the limit ? Should we click that button every 5m ? 10m ? 15m ? if the corpse are not grouped ?

It's not impossible to program corpse looting that way. Wasteland 3 does it. After a fight, you have one character loot the nearest corpse to start a group loot mechanic, so its not as immersion-breaking as just standing in the middle of a room and pushing a loot button. Then you get a popup window with that corpse's loot, and you can page through every other corpse in the immediate area on that same window. Combat tends to happen in arena areas, so you usually don't have to do too much running around to loot, but sometimes backtracking is needed for all loot.

It works pretty well, but that's also because Wasteland 3 has a single shared inventory for the party. You don't overburden the character doing the looting. BG3 uses the clumsier method of having to figure out who is doing the looting to avoid overburden weight limits.

The BG3 loot system is a bit more realistic than that one in WL3, but I sure wouldn't mind if Larian adopted group looting and switched to a shared party inventory. I would personally trade away some immersion for less busy work in inventory screens.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

The BG3 loot system is a bit more realistic than that one in WL3, but I sure wouldn't mind if Larian adopted group looting and switched to a shared party inventory. I would personally trade away some immersion for less busy work in inventory screens.

A shared party inventory would be GREAT. I mean, we can already equip items from other characters' inventories, instantly send items between characters over any distance, eat food directly out of other characters' inventories.

The only reason I can think of for them not having group inventory is multiplayer. In multiplayer, a lot of people probably want to have their own separate inventory.

But maybe they could set it as an option. Group inventory defaults to 'on' in singleplayer, and individual defaults to 'on' in multiplayer. That seems like it would be the best.

Link Copied to Clipboard