Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Gale's backstory is tied to an important Forgotten Realms character. He tried to do something similar to what a powerful netherese wizard did. My theory is that the Absolute is also related to it:

Netheril was at war against the phaerimm and desperate trying to survive their enemies' life drain dweomers. A great archwizard that was working to solve it disappeared, causing panic to surge in Netheril. Karsus, a very powerful wizard, felt the weight of responsibility on his shoulders. To gather the power needed to preserve his civilization he made a terrible decision. He used the powerful spell Karsus' avatar, that allowed its user to steal the powers of a god of his choosing, thus replacing the god. He used it to replace Mystryl, the goddess of magic, and as her power was drained she became unable to maintain the Weave, having to sacrifice herself to save it. Magic stopped working, Netheril fell, and Karsus was turned to stone, but soon Mystryl was reincarnated as Mystra and fixed the Weave.

I think the Absolute is the disappeared archwizard. His name was Ioulaum, and he was the inventor of the mythallar and the flying fortresses. Since the fall of Netheril he became a lich, created a lair in the underdark, had many apprentices including illithids, created alhoons (limited illithiliches) and illithiliches. Later he was slain by his illithilich students, but that was a ritual he designed to create an undead elder brain that he would eventually merge with. He accomplished what he wanted and became the Oracle of Ellyn'taal, the undead elder brain. He's probably one of the most powerful beings existing in Toril.

Last edited by Millisar; 06/11/20 05:28 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
A lot of people have speculated similarly about Ioulaum. It certainly ties together the mind flayer- and Netherese magic- parts of the story.

However, I think there is more to the story than the Absolute just being Ioulaum (considering the Dead Three symbols used to represent the Absolute).

- Priest
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Now that I've seen Minthara call the absulute "Her", I think the absolute is actually Tabra, Ioulaum's apprentice. She could have all knowledge Ioulaum had, and with the spell called Ioulaum's longevity she could easily be alive and even young.

Last edited by Millisar; 04/12/20 07:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
There is another long thread about this but I'm posting here until they get merged smile

As someone who also once believed the Absolute was a 'her' -- others have shown me that other NPCs refer to the Absolute as 'him' so, like "Daisy" your dream lover, the god looks however you want them to look.

I originally missed the dead three iconography because I somehow missed that Bane's hand is now open. (which is strange -- the image of a Iron Fist seems to better invoke tyranny) Anyway, the dead three are good possibility buuuut that doesn't explain either the Shadow Magic or the deception.

I'm thinking that the dead three and Shar working together is the best explanation out there. Shar explains the deception and shadow weave and the dead three best explains the iconography. Shar has a history of working through other gods -- such as the decision to use Cyric to kill Mystra. Indeed all the (original) evil gods are her creation.

Ioulaum explains mind flayers and Netherese magic buuut Ioulaum was linked to Mystryl's weave not Shar's shadow weave. (I kinda wish the game wouldn't conflate shadow magic with Netherese magic. There was only one Netherese city that used Netherese Shadow magic)

Datamining -- super spoilers

It also explains the 'weapon' that keeps getting referred to. We know the current Nightsong has a dialogue where she asks the adventurers to free her. The old Nightsong is no longer as useful and I'm guessing that Shadowheart was supposed absorb the Gith soul in the d20 box and become Nightsong 2.0.

I even wonder if Vlaakith or Gith herself could be part of the Absolute consortium. If the soul in Shadowheart's box is Zerthimon and he can be controlled using the absolute's psychic powers then "the weapon" could unite the Gith factions and Vlaakith would have Absolute control over the Gith peoples.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Ioulaum explains mind flayers and Netherese magic buuut Ioulaum was linked to Mystryl's weave not Shar's shadow weave. (I kinda wish the game wouldn't conflate shadow magic with Netherese magic. There was only one Netherese city that used Netherese Shadow magic)

The only Netherese city that used Netherese Shadow magic was also the only Netherese city active in recent times.
In-verse, it makes more sense that people would think of Netherese magic as shadow magic.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Have fun reading the other 21 pages of speculation: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=699889&page=22
I guess the threads should be merged

There are a few leading figures of the shadovar left, but they don't seem to be the greatest mages.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
There is another long thread about this but I'm posting here until they get merged smile

I'm thinking that the dead three and Shar working together is the best explanation out there. Shar explains the deception and shadow weave and the dead three best explains the iconography. Shar has a history of working through other gods -- such as the decision to use Cyric to kill Mystra. Indeed all the (original) evil gods are her creation.

I don't think this is the case, particularly as the Absolute's symbol has been graffitied over ruined statues of Shar (or so you will see in Act 1b).

- Priest

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard