Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
This would be fantastic. Larian already has experience with development for consoles, and it’s getting easier than ever to develop for multiple platforms. Presumably they’ll be adding controller support and UI for PC too, like Divinity, so that is some of the work done already. DOS1 and 2 were a lot of fun to play co-op on PS4, but I’d really like to see this game on next-gen consoles.

I get that this may be an unpopular opinion, and most would likely want them to focus on PC first – but surely they could make it happen, especially considering the money already in from EA and how a wider platform full release will maximise returns based on launch marketing and hype. Most AAA titles these days aim for multi-platform at launch, unless they’re locked into exclusivity deals.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
This would be fantastic. Larian already has experience with development for consoles, and it’s getting easier than ever to develop for multiple platforms. Presumably they’ll be adding controller support and UI for PC too, like Divinity, so that is some of the work done already. DOS1 and 2 were a lot of fun to play co-op on PS4, but I’d really like to see this game on next-gen consoles.

I get that this may be an unpopular opinion, and most would likely want them to focus on PC first – but surely they could make it happen, especially considering the money already in from EA and how a wider platform full release will maximise returns based on launch marketing and hype. Most AAA titles these days aim for multi-platform at launch, unless they’re locked into exclusivity deals.

I mean as long as its designed for PC then downgraded to consoles instead of designed for a controller and console then hastily ported over I'm good with it. Most games these days are designed for consoles and ported. It makes them feel horrific in most cases.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Originally Posted by Mathalis
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

I mean as long as its designed for PC then downgraded to consoles instead of designed for a controller and console then hastily ported over I'm good with it. Most games these days are designed for consoles and ported. It makes them feel horrific in most cases.

Larian seems to work PC first, Mac, consoles then iPad. At least that’s how DOS2 panned out. Mac was a surprise this early in the game for BG3.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, as long as the PC version is made first, in an uncompromising spirit--I have no problems with porting down from the PC to consoles. But the Mac thing is indeed interesting...as Apple has announced yet-another-cpu-transition, from x86, this time, to ARM in the next couple of years. So this version no doubt is being written for x86-Intel Macs--and whenever Apple moves to ARM fully the game will only be running on a software emulator of some kind. Plans for the Mac as high-performance computing are certainly up in the air right now (The company is almost 90% a cell-phone company today so an iOS version at some point would make much more sense.) I don't know if I was Larian that I'd put any money in Mac game development right now--but that's their affair, and they are doing an x86 Mac version, apparently.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
I’ve actually tracked down some footage of BG3 running on Apple’s M1 chips – looking good. And a cheap way to get into the game if you don’t already have powerful enough hardware.
Head to around the 7 minute mark here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/10859

Link Copied to Clipboard