Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm specifically talking about the meeting with the dragonrider and his troop. Larian does a very annoying thing during the dialogue here

If you have Lae'zel in your party she attempts to take the initiative during the dialogue, this is good, my issue comes after this. If you cede that to her the game still seems to think you're in control of what happens next, I've done this a few times both with a Lae'zel who dislikes me and one that respects me, it doesn't make sense either way for her to be looking to me for guidance when she's talking to her own people, and a superior.

Having every dialogue beat revolve around secret hand gestures telling her what to say is pretty egregious, I can understand a persuade check to get her to hold off on talking about the tadpoles or the mystery box but as it stands there's really nothing yet that makes Lae'zel look to your character for leadership. In fact I think she might actually find it a little insulting.

Edit: Meant to put this in Feedback: https://forums.larian.com//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729667&

Last edited by Sozz; 07/11/20 03:51 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
I found that out of character for her as well. Been through that scene a time or two in the same playthrough since that area was so buggy until the last patch. Both times we let her take the lead cause why in the world wouldn't you? We had no intention to die by her fury right there and then. We did end up trying both the play along and truth options though. Not quite sure why she needed the guidance all of a sudden, maybe they just need to have her signal more uncertainty before the encounter to make it feel natural.

V
V
Originally Posted by Sozz
I'm specifically talking about the meeting with the dragonrider and his troop. Larian does a very annoying thing during the dialogue here

If you have Lae'zel in your party she attempts to take the initiative during the dialogue, this is good, my issue comes after this. If you cede that to her the game still seems to think you're in control of what happens next, I've done this a few times both with a Lae'zel who dislikes me and one that respects me, it doesn't make sense either way for her to be looking to me for guidance when she's talking to her own people, and a superior.

Having every dialogue beat revolve around secret hand gestures telling her what to say is pretty egregious, I can understand a persuade check to get her to hold off on talking about the tadpoles or the mystery box but as it stands there's really nothing yet that makes Lae'zel look to your character for leadership. In fact I think she might actually find it a little insulting.

Edit: Meant to put this in Feedback: https://forums.larian.com//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729667&

Yeah it does seem there is something in her story arc simply missing that she puts herself willingly into the beta role. Generally all of the companion interactions are severely lacking, since they do not react to the evolving relationship. Either they have not yet recorded all voicelines for Act I, or the budget constraints won't allow deeper conversation and changing tone with the companions. That is why I prefer text over voice. Text can explain everything fast, comprehensible and extensively while also being ridiculously cheap. Voice is, slow, lacking context, short and very expensive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by VincentNZ

Yeah it does seem there is something in her story arc simply missing that she puts herself willingly into the beta role. Generally all of the companion interactions are severely lacking, since they do not react to the evolving relationship. Either they have not yet recorded all voicelines for Act I, or the budget constraints won't allow deeper conversation and changing tone with the companions. That is why I prefer text over voice. Text can explain everything fast, comprehensible and extensively while also being ridiculously cheap. Voice is, slow, lacking context, short and very expensive.

I agree with you, but you are forgetting one important detail as to why Larian went with fully voiced game, people nowadays seem to have a critical form of allergy when it comes to reading stuff themselves, which is why audiobooks are so popular nowadays (again, I prefer the feel of paper or actually reading through e-book pages myself, but we're a dying breed). But yeah, text can give so much nuance that a game such as this desperately needs, voice actors' performances are superb, not complaining about that... but having everything voiced? NWN2 was semi-voiced. Important NPCs and companions were fully voiced, while some of the less important NPCs had text. Shopkeepers had text. But we can't change Larian's mind now, can we? smirk

V
V
Yep, but text can also deliver crucial pieces of information within a small frame of time. When you see a text you can single out a few words and get a general drift of what is going on. Audio has to be rolled from start to finish to reach the same goal. That is why the dialogue text that you choose is also very important, it needs to give you the full story even for people that skip the voice line.
Generally I think voice is overrated, even by players that do not read, simply because those players also lack the patience to listen to 30s of voice, that they could have read in 5s. That is why there are also subtitles in most games. Even in those games you read more than you actually listen. But it is correct that large boxes of text seem intimidating to players, hence some marketing dudes told game devs that going full voice is the way to go. laugh

old hand
old hand
I like huge blocks of text, I love reading in games, but I also love voice acting. So either way works for me.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard