Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Has anybody of you managed to kill one or both of them before escaping?

I "first-try'd" the Mindflayer adressing us as Slaves when we enter the commandbridge on my second playthrough.
On my first playthrough I was still so new I did not managed to weaken either of them extremly before Cambions stormed the room. smile

So I was curious if now that this Bastard is dead ( 0 hitpoints )
would there be alterations to the events when we escape the crash side?
Sadly - no. smile
Mindflayer is still barely alive and tries to make random people help him out.

Well - a pity. ^^
Hoped for an achievement or something too. grin
" Backstab Trophy unlocked - Strike the Mindflayer down in Avernus that abducted you "

Looks like Commander WhatshisNameAgain would be way tougher tho.

old hand
old hand
I haven't tried killing them yet.

addict
addict
I was also disappointed that the mindflayer had no loot. Havent killed the general yet.

old hand
old hand
He drops a plain greatsword.

journeyman
journeyman
What were you expecting, a +5 Holy Avenger? Fun to try and if you succeed, brag about, but they weren't meant to be beaten. Maybe there will be a steam achievement once it goes live. Loot though, not so much. Grats on killing them, haven't been able to yet.

C
CMF Offline
C
There are a few ways to beat them.

You can bring every single explosive canister into the room and chain detonate them to get them all in one go. Sometimes it takes a few extra explosions, you "can" drop items that counts as no action to keep detonating throwables to keep doing dmg in one turn.

Also if you park one of your party outside next to a regeneration station, you can use that to heal your party in combat to full, even if they are downed.

You can kite the npcs, up and down stairs and jumping over edges so they have to path further before reaching you and again using explosives (more reliable than attacking directly because the AC is so high and you do so little dmg to them).

My personal tactic is to block out the 2 adds that come down the hallway midway through the fight, detonate those two and then rely on "help" function to keep standing my downed ally up when face tanking the commander by himself.

One time I created a barricade at the top of the stairs and they couldn't path to me or jump, so I just shot them with arrows for a few minutes till they died.

By killing them all you level up as soon as you touch ground on the beach. All three of them have greatswords, the mindflayer had nothing.

There is a console at the back of the room, behind the navigation device that has interactable buttons (like the ones that made the human's aggressive where shadowheart is held) but at this time they do nothing.

Last edited by CMF; 08/11/20 04:26 AM.
veteran
veteran
I was able to drop the Cambion after a few tries mainly by hurling Nautilus tanks from across the room. He detonated the sludge from the first tank with his flaming sword, after which point half a dozen tanks thrown did the trick. Lae'zel can carry like 5 I think and still manage to move. Whether you can kill the Cambion quickly enough might come down to whether or not the mind flayer lands a hit. But I blew them both up and didn't get much for the effort. Easier to do with Us I think if you don't force the cutscene by reaching the top of the staircase with a PC. But I haven't killed the 2 Cambion reinforcements that appear with the second wave starts. There's a jump spot with a lot of hidden loot in the prologue section that I didn't find till like the 10th playthrough.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 08/11/20 09:07 AM.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Yeah dropping these explosive things is kinda OP at this point. ^_^

Ah, damn so both drop nothing unusual.
Maybe not in EarlyAcess... wink

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by flick40
What were you expecting, a +5 Holy Avenger? Fun to try and if you succeed, brag about, but they weren't meant to be beaten. Maybe there will be a steam achievement once it goes live. Loot though, not so much. Grats on killing them, haven't been able to yet.

I think some kind of cut scene, dialoge or some bonus gear would be pretty - at least the fact that the mindflayer stays dead and doesnt turn people later.
They already did something similar in DOS 2 when you beat Dallis in Fort Joy and rewards you with a good starting weapon - and Demon Souls also rewards you with something cool but nothing OP as well if you beat the Tutorial Boss.

Link Copied to Clipboard