Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Varujan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
1. When targeting with a spell or attack, it feels stressful if the enemy is moving around too much while I'm trying to click them. If enemies would stop moving or dramatically slow down when I hover my mouse over them, I feel like I'd be able to target them better. More than once, I have misclicked due to the enemy moving out of the space my mouse was pointing. Sometimes I feel like pressing Spacebar to stop things from moving mid-battle.

2. When using Eldritch Blast, the "charge up" animation will shake the screen so hard that I will mis-click. The animation is cool and feels powerful, but waiting for the animation to finish before I can aim is annoying. Sometimes, I feel like I want to turn off the animation.

3. When I am aiming Area of Effect spells and abilities, the tendency is for the mouse to "snap" to an enemy. This isn't convenient, because oftentimes, it's very frustrating to try to catch a bunch of enemies in an AoE, especially when they are spread out. I would like to be able to disable the snapping somehow, like by holding down a certain key or by disabling this as an option in the options menu. My instinct was to try holding down Shift or Alt, but neither of those keys did anything.

journeyman
journeyman
+1. I have these issues too and too many times I miss the target with Eldritch blast.

addict
addict
Something seems off or not working as intended in my opinion : normally, one must hold the Ctrl key to target an object or ground, but currently you can accidentally do so without holding that key.

In line with OP, I would suggest it would be better that attacks (clicks) do not trigger unless game notes you targeted something relevant, like an enemy creature (yellow/red) or red item. Of course, this logic would not apply to AOE.

So if you use an arrow or targeted spell accidentally off a target, the game would just do nothing and wait for a proper target-click.

To attack an item or a green creature, you would need to hold Ctrl.

( based on keybindings, this seems to be what is intended, but currently you can misclick and target anything it seems )
( nuance : some spells are both targeted and AOE due to Larian changes, like Firebolt and Ray of Ice, but I suggest they be treated at targeted with the above suggestion.)

C
CMF Offline
C
Work arounds to this are to do "Overhead" camera view to better align your mouse on the target, ensuring a red highlight circle shows up as you mouse over them prior to clicking. They "should not" be walking as you target them in combat, but out of combat they could still be pathing, so of course to circumvent that, pause the game to better lock on to a mobile target.

There is a menu option to disable screen shake, unsure how effective, as I have never turned that off. This may help you with the eldritch blast issue.

Target snap seems like a a reverse point to what you just had an issue with on not being able to properly target something, but now you don't like it when it makes sure your mouse is on a target. I assume you mean some spells snap and some don't. Again I have not had the issue you are having so I can't attest to those levels of difficulty.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have screen shake off, I zoom in when targeting, take my time and my hand isn't shaking, and still the attack goes next to my target and it's a miss, because the 3D model isn't under the mouse pointer, despite being highlighted. That's just the fault of this system, needs fixed to either not highlight or attack what is highlighted. This isn't the dice roll miss, that's on top of this.

Also melee has to be 1.5m range to hit, but many times the game won't allow me to move closer saying "there's no place" -- so can't move closer & can't melee attack because "too far", that's why I have a ranged weapon on every character to use that in these cases.

C
CMF Offline
C
Try targeting at the feet, in crowded situations I have had an issue with the right target being selected. Again look at the combat highlight, if the circle under the target highlights, you are targeting the correct thing.

For ranged attacks, you can click on anywhere on the model and it actually can make a "non-visible" target "visible" as maybe the bow arc couldn't hit the target at the legs, but if I move up the body to the head it can make a clear shot.

I will check out the screen shake in a few to see what you are talking about with eldritch blast.

Ultimately these are all work arounds, and if you are having an issue unique to your interaction with the UI then bottom line it doesn't work for you. Just trying to suggest things I do. I haven't had the feelings of difficulty that you say, but maybe I am less impacted due to being less particular.

C
CMF Offline
C
Went into game, screen shake stops the vibration after casting eldritch blast, but the warm up animation you mention can not be turned off. What is happening is a light bloom/visual distortion bubble that bends your view like a fisheye lens on both the caster and the area where the blast hits. Turning down graphics and post processing did not remove that light bending animation.

I am still unsure what targets are gyrating around so much in a stationary position that it is causing targeting issues. Idle animations do move character models around a little bit but the "hit box" should be consistent. Even as they sway back and forth if my cursor is in the air "next" to their head, it is still targeting that npc. Melee targeting has been a little buggy, as I'm point blank but sometimes it wants to run off a little bit to get a melee attack in (causing an attack of opportunity), that is an issue with pathing, but I have not had your issue where I can't make a hit because I am too far, even though I am next to the target.

V
Varujan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
I'm reading the replies and I just want to thank you all for weighing in on this.

I'm definitely going to check out turning off screen-shaking, but that's kind of a shame to turn it off just for Eldritch Blast. In other instances, it's probably fine.

I'll also be trying to use the O key more often. I find the isometric view preferable most of the time, but maybe I should switch to Overhead for a bunch of combats to test it out.

CMF,

I am mostly ok with target snapping, but it's not great in conjunction with AoE spells, and certain throwable objects.

In regards to targets moving away from my cursor, I am mostly speaking to ranged attacks using a bow or crossbow. These have a different feel to them than spells.

An easy way to replicate my frustration would be to take a couple of Archers (Your PC + Lae'zel with a Bow) into the control room of the Nautiloid ship, hide behind some obstacles like maybe 6 Nautiloid Tanks that you collected, and try and kill the three demons there using only arrows. You will notice that the tanks create an impediment not only to the path of the cambions, who get stuck behind them (keeping you safe for this test), but also to the path of your arrow attacks.

Every time you want to attack in this instance, you must be cautious in dragging the cursor over only certain parts of the Cambion, because A) the Cambion is moving due to its animation and B) if you miss, you may accidentally hit one of the tanks you placed. Switching to the overhead view might work, but I would still be pretty afraid of accidentally hitting one of the tanks because overhead view gives you less control over the vertical arc of your arrows since you can only pan horizontally in this view.

old hand
old hand
It may be better for you to hide behind something not breakable. There are a lot of environmental hazards available in this game but usually they are better to use on the enemy. If you use the stealth you will see a red cone effect that shows the enemy sight range. You can hide anywhere outside that, but during combat you have to use the Hide bonus action for it to work. The AI is really stupid, enemies will not look for you, instead they will stay put. If you still have issues targeting then just aim for centre mass, pretty sure headshots or limb targeting don't make any difference here. Also get to higher ground whenever possible.

V
Varujan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
I have 84 hours in the game and I have also watched hours of footage. I know how to hide at this point!

There is a reason that Nautiloid Tanks are used in the test I suggested to replicate the issue. This is because Cambion AI is currently not set to break objects or jump/fly past a blockage in the terrain, allowing a player to focus on hitting the cambions without getting hit back.

For an example, see this image I grabbed off of Reddit: https://i.redd.it/t9xne39bj9t51.png

Credit goes to u/Leslawangelo from Reddit for the image.

Banned
Banned
This topic makes me feel...

Shadowheart: " Something the matter? "
Me: " Yes - move out of the f°°°ing way!! I just wanted to click on this possible item container! " grin

It happened a few times.
Until a vein started to bulge.

C
CMF Offline
C
Originally Posted by Varujan
I have 84 hours in the game and I have also watched hours of footage. I know how to hide at this point!

There is a reason that Nautiloid Tanks are used in the test I suggested to replicate the issue. This is because Cambion AI is currently not set to break objects or jump/fly past a blockage in the terrain, allowing a player to focus on hitting the cambions without getting hit back.

For an example, see this image I grabbed off of Reddit: https://i.redd.it/t9xne39bj9t51.png

Credit goes to u/Leslawangelo from Reddit for the image.

That is actually a good example of how dynamic the LOS calculations are and hit box interactions. Arrows fly in an arc while spells typically are straight lines. Monitoring the trajectory line helps ensure you are not obstructed and I feel this is a "GOOD" thing that the targeting mechanic is dynamic enough to allow for more varied hits.

Additionally there is a lot of complaints on the forums that high ground/low ground advantage should be abolished and that the 5e cover system should be used. The fact that the game calculates trajectory and varied targeting on a hit box allows for a coverage percentage to be calculated and used in lieu of the current advantage system (if Larian wanted to...).

So while you are pointing this out as a frustration, it allows you to hit when otherwise the system is binary/digital and it is either hit or not hit. With this system you have analog option than 1 or 0 (hit or not hit) you can try to aim at differing areas to change the trajectory and accomplish a hit around cover.

V
Varujan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
I did not point arrow trajectory as a frustration. I agree that the trajectory is a good thing.

To repeat my initial post, my frustration in situations like this is that enemies have animations that cause them to move out of the way while I aim. To be clear: I like the animations and don't want them gone - I just want it to feel better to aim at enemies and not have to worry so much about them moving out from under my cursor.

Last edited by Varujan; 11/11/20 02:24 AM.
stranger
stranger
Oh! So this is why when I do a melee attack (or ranged, but this is less often an issue for me), I instead attack the ground instead of the creature I swear my mouse cursor was over and I was targeting?! Yes, please fix this misbehavior. smile

C
CMF Offline
C
Originally Posted by Varujan
I did not point arrow trajectory as a frustration. I agree that the trajectory is a good thing.

To repeat my initial post, my frustration in situations like this is that enemies have animations that cause them to move out of the way while I aim. To be clear: I like the animations and don't want them gone - I just want it to feel better to aim at enemies and not have to worry so much about them moving out from under my cursor.

I tested it on your initial post, and you don't' have to move the mouse "with" their body part, it should target a hitbox that is larger than the actual character model. I did not thoroughly test that and there could be cases where it moves and becomes a "non hit" if you keep your cursor still as the character model moves....I thought I addressed your concern and said that earlier, but I could be mistaken.

So for your scenario, you are targeting the enemies head as they sway back and forth because that puts your arrow trajectory above the obstruction object.
As the target sways back and forth and your mouse is stationary, the hit should not change to "no hit", as the hit box is wider than the actual visible head.

Link Copied to Clipboard