Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Originally Posted by Old 97
I've now got about 30 hours in the game, and the number one issue I have is that the party size is too small, by at least one character. And I firmly believe the reason has to do entirely with Divinity: Original Sin.

In BG3, you have a party of characters who must work together to achieve their shared goal(s). To be successful, the party will generally require the following things:
- A healer who can keep the party on it's feet.
- A tank of some sort who can help protect the squishier folks and dish out some damage.
- A magic user who can provide access to mystical tools.
- A utility character who can accomplish tasks like opening locks, disarming traps and generally being rather sneaky.

Actually, you don't need a healer because you can throw food and potions at people. And anyone with decent DEX can open locks, disarm traps and be sneaky.

With 330+ hours the easiest party was me as a Dex Ranger, Lae'zel, Gale, and Wyll. And I dont do cheese.

There goes the idea of classes. Anyone can do why even make it available. Maybe just to provoke RPG and DnD fans

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I, for one, would love to individually jump my 12 party members over every gap.

Me encanta la idea así si mostraria la experiencia que es un grupo con una meta en común ademas , ami si me gusta tener todas las posibilidades
La party tampoco solo para llenar roles no me digan con hermoso character creation no sienten pueden hacer poco por que solo podes hacer 4 personajes personalizados sacrificando los miembros y perdiendo mucho dialogo.

Last edited by Roxeus; 10/11/20 12:41 AM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
You got this thread, and then you got this other thread that wants just 3 max. Meanwhile I'm content with my 2 lone wolves as I replay DoS2; learning from "sin tee" (on youtube) who facerolls these games solo - including this EA. So folks want a party of 6 while the game can basically be cleared with 1 skilled player. Yeah I mean everyone is welcome to ask for this and that but my thoughts are Larian won't be changing a thing. I played through EA 2.5 times and that inspired me to fire up DoS2 again. I mean I loved BG 1 and 2, and while I'm fully aware that this opinion is unpopular with D&D purists, I'd rather play BG3 using DoS2 mechanics (augmented with the latest environment and combat mechanics in BG3) instead of what is currently there in BG3 (which is not BG1 and not DoS2). I mean I don't mind it, but things like being able to carry over APs makes the combat so much more enjoyable.

Franky as I replay DoS2 I realize how freaking awesome the game is (or was?) and the concept of source points in combat, the companions, basically just about everything blows this EA out of the water; and this game is like 2 or 3 years old! But hold up the new cutscenes!?!?! right!??! Yeah sure if they didn't look so god damn goofy, glitchy, clippy!! In it's current form I'd like to stick to simple 2D chat box with outstanding voice narration. Where is my Lohse-like companion in BG3? Where is my Imoen? If I could I would push all the offered companions right off of the Nautiloid not just Lae'zel.

I was waiting for BG3 for like 20 yrs but at this point I wish they just made DoS3 instead of what I'm seeing in BG3.

Last edited by cgexile; 10/11/20 12:53 AM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Agree that the party size is too small. Disagree that it's DOS's fault.

Ironically, I like to play tons of solo, but IMO having a higher party limit is usually better than a smaller one, since it offers more player choice.

The down-sizing of party members in "mainstream" CRPGs started way before DOS. I'm not sure why (maybe technical issues? Maybe to market "replayability"?), but we saw years of party size getting smaller and smaller. NWN 1 limited you to 1 henchman (2 in HoTU), Kotor - 3, Dragon Age - 4, NWN2 - 4 (IIRC), Shadowrun - 4, etc. We saw a resurgence of 6 with POE 1 and Kingmaker (7 if you count Wasteland 2), but even then Obsidian downsized to 5 in POE 2, and 4 in Tyranny.

M
stranger
stranger
M
The party size is too small but this game is clearly not built to have more than 4

Anything more and it gets too bogged down - encounters have to be redesigned, and now you have too much crap on your screen

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
D:OS2 is not the only turn based RPG to have a party limit of four. What a weird accusation.

Also I didn't realize you needed a healer and a tank for a DnD group. I should go ahead and delete my current game where my party of all ranged DPS/control have been having an easy time of it so far.

Should also go and talk to Wizards of the Coast about adding tank mechanics to the game. They've clearly left out the taunt feature.

That being said I don't fundamentally disagree with an option for bigger parties. Especially for multiplayer as I'd rather cakewalk through the game with five players than have four friends and have to tell one of them they can't join.

I just think the logic in the OP is lacking.

Tank mechanic? You mean the "taunt" ability?

Contrary to WoW, in DnD they did in a smarter way : cover system + attack of opportunity and other warrior feats that allow to protect the nearby mage. BTW, for some classes they do have "taunt"

I agree op 6 would have been perfect with how hard this game is.

veteran
veteran
Can we please have a merge with the other big thread?
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679595#Post679595

Or maybe the other-other big one?
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=690281#Post690281

Or maybe the other-other-other-other big one in the other section?
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=672266

At first it's just a minor annoyance when these duplicate topics come up, but it becomes a nagging pain when they keep getting bumped and you have people repeating the same arguments for or against it (often already being largely dismissed) for the millionth time.

Also, yes, a six men party would be for the betterment of mankind. As long as we can get a better control scheme too.
Don't believe any tosser who tries to throw spurious arguments against it in your direction, fair people.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/11/20 05:22 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
+1 on the merger and pinning.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lumign

Contrary to WoW, in DnD they did in a smarter way : cover system + attack of opportunity and other warrior feats that allow to protect the nearby mage. BTW, for some classes they do have "taunt"

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

DnD doesn't have "tanking" in the traditional sense. As you say, it is more about standing next to enemies and using attacks of opportunity to threaten NPCs into not running passed you. Or just doing so much damage the DM reasons that the enemies will focus on you over the backline.

It was a joke to point out that DnD doesn't adhere to strict class roles in a group. You can get by without a healer or without anyone to do the tanking. Party composition more boils down to covering one another's weaknesses and making sure you have tools to deal with different threats.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Originally Posted by Lumign

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

DnD doesn't have "tanking" in the traditional sense. As you say, it is more about standing next to enemies and using attacks of opportunity to threaten NPCs into not running passed you. Or just doing so much damage the DM reasons that the enemies will focus on you over the backline.

It was a joke to point out that DnD doesn't adhere to strict class roles in a group. You can get by without a healer or without anyone to do the tanking. Party composition more boils down to covering one another's weaknesses and making sure you have tools to deal with different threats.

After reading these forums for a while I'm getting a sense there's a couple different mindsets of people here:

People who played BG1+2 and who want this game to be the same
People who play D&D and want this game to be the same
People who haven't played either, but have played similar games and don't really have a strong opinion one way or another

I think it's clear that this game is meant to be D&D 5e online as a way to bring gamers into the tabletop community just like how Critical Role brought non-D&D nerds into it. That's why Larian is making a lot of the decisions they are, like the 4-man party, nondistict party roles, and emphasis on story rather than combat. Every time someone says the word "tank" on these forums I have ro remember that not everyone here has played D&D and so they don't understand they can have a party of clerics and be just fine.

old hand
old hand
I played BG 1+2 and I don't especially want this game to be like them. I played DOS 1+2 and I don't want this game to be much like them. I've played a metric fuckton of D&D, and I DO want this game to be like the EXPERIENCE of playing D&D, and representative of the D&D BRAND, but I don't care if the actual minutiae of the ruleset are fully accurate to current edition mechanics.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 12/11/20 03:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
So you used your shitty baseless strawman argument in one thread and when it was rejected you went and picked the other thread on the same subject to attempt the same little game here.

No, not everyone that is unhappy is a talbetop fanatic.
Not everyone that is unhappy is just a BG2 fanatic.
And not everyone that is unhappy mistook this game for an MMO with fixes spots.

Also, funnily enough the typical Critical Role party was six players as well. With good peace of people attempting the angle "B-but the tabletop recommends four!".

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tuco
So you used your shitty baseless strawman argument in one thread and when it was rejected you went and picked the other thread on the same subject to attempt the same little game here.

No, not everyone that is unhappy is a talbetop fanatic.
Not everyone that is unhappy is just a BG2 fanatic.
And not everyone that is unhappy mistook this game for an MMO with fixes spots.

Also, funnily enough the typical Critical Role party was six players as well. With good peace of people attempting the angle "B-but the tabletop recommends four!".

Dude. Calm down.

1. I didn't say any of that.
2. I don't care if the game has a party of 4 or 6.
3. Critical Role had way more than 6 players. They couldn't make it to every game because that's what happens in every D&D game. Plus they were all voice actors with gigs that would take up a lot of their time.
4. Everyone here is trying to make the game as best as it can be before they release it in a year. You don't need to attack everyone who disagrees with you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vrai133
That's why Larian is making a lot of the decisions they are, like the 4-man party, nondistict party roles, and emphasis on story rather than combat. Every time someone says the word "tank" on these forums I have ro remember that not everyone here has played D&D and so they don't understand they can have a party of clerics and be just fine.

Yeah, I know you are just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks but they are going for a 4 man party because --

1) That's what the DOS engine was optimized for. (or not optimized since party management in terrible in both games)
2) It hides the fact that the game has far fewer NPCs than BG2

Anything else is marketing speak.

Yes, you should be able to complete the game with an all cleric party and no one formation should be hardcoded but for me it feels like D&D and BG when you have the classic formation + PC + wildcard. 6 feels like BG and, besides, six is just more fun.

Besides I don't think there are plans to put 6 clerics in the game.

And if they wanted to avoid the BG comparisons they could have gone for another title like Baldur's Gate: Dawn of the Absolute or Forgotten Realms: Rise of Illithids. Which is what some of the original BG devs wanted them to do.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Tuco

I think you failed your Diplomacy check here. Try to roll higher in future, please.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard