Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Nyanko Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
At the moment, stealth is too exploitable in combat. You can use spells or range weapons and automatically go back to stealth without even making a roll.

My suggestion is each time you want to go back to stealth in combat, the game should consider you are in detection range, no matter where you are, and you should succeed a stealth roll. And each round you remain in stealth, a roll should be required of you. It would make stealth far less exploitable than it is now.

As for out of combat stealth, it's fine as it is I think.

Last edited by Nyanko; 08/11/20 07:50 PM.
old hand
old hand
I would be okay with this.

addict
addict
True, even from behind a enemy, a Stealth check represents also avoiding making sound, which is not obvious (cling of weapon, foot drag, etc.).
It could be triggered at more or less 5 to 10 feet, so basically before a "backstab".

Also, hiding in plain sight is not a thing in D&D if your DM knows how Stealth is usually played. There has to be something helping you hide, whether it be lack of light, etc. Wood Elves can hide in tall grass or in bad weather for example, but that is their special perk.

Mild bug at the moment : when you are in a vision cone, the game currently rolls every 6 seconds even when you are in turn-base :P

Last edited by Baraz; 08/11/20 09:18 PM.
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I am definitely in favor of this too, stealth in general needs quite a bit of work when it comes to how checks trigger. If an npc turns too fast it seems like it does not trigger a stealth check, when it always should.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This is a tricky one. If you are hidden in a dark location and fire a bow beyond a creatures normal vision (18m or 60ft) then you wouldn't be seen or leave stealth BUT the creature if not killed would investigate in the direction he/it was hit following a perception check. Casting a loud arsed spell going "Wisawizawizawooo" at the top of your lungs while creating a visually obvious bolt spell wouldn't require the creature to make a perception ck he/it would just run over and bite you.

This is a problem in turn based combat, the stealth system in BG3 is pretty close to D&D, probably the only mechanic that is. Currently a wizard can move after casting a spell into an out of sight area and sneak. I would say remove the ability to sneak after casting a spell completely that turn. Unless and this is a biggy, the arcane caster uses silent spell which if I remember correctly requires a resourse from a Sorcerer, not sure if in 5e wizards can cast silent spell anymore?

Whatever, my point being weapon attacks should be treated differently than spells in stealth. You cannot cast stealth spells with few exceptions like greater invis and silent spell. Classes like thief and assassin need these stealth mechanics to function as a class. Stealth checks on the rogue (for ex) only happen in visual range (18m or 60ft) otherwise they remain hidden and they can go back into stealth without check outside visual range with a bonus action.

Sneaking in visual range depends on many factors, light level, creatures vison and skills like "hide in plain sight". You cannot hide in visual range if relative to the creature you are seen in full daylight, so in a half lit room vs a goblin with darkvision. If you are not seen in relative daylight and in visual range you would make a stealth ck based on dex/skill + light level before hiding/not.

old hand
old hand
The main thing that needs to happen is AI needs to be able to intelligently search for you when you're hidden.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
The main thing that needs to happen is AI needs to be able to intelligently search for you when you're hidden.

Yes. This is one of my biggest issues with the game currently.

N
Nyanko Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
I think it would be easier for them to help the AI find you rather than making it more intelligent, hence my suggestion. Because the more tools you give to the player, the more elaborate the AI has to be to cope with their freedom. And with a finite team of devs and a finite budget, there has to be some compromise.

If you create too many backdoors, the game will become boring quick.

Larian has to ask themselves if they want the players to grin at their 'mischief managed' actions when they exploit the game to the death or if they want to give them a sense of grand accomplishment when they beat fair and challenging fights.

Should the game be an epic journey or a farcical comedy set in a fantasy world?

You could have both of course, but I feel it's more of the latter right now.

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/11/20 09:30 AM.
veteran
veteran
+1

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
M
M
+1
AI indeed needs to be able to search for you, also agree

Link Copied to Clipboard