Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#730700 09/11/20 02:37 AM
C
CMF Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Testing out Giant Killer for Ranger, selected a halfling to see if it would trigger on anything from dwarf or taller. So far it has not triggered once, and may be broken. Sneaking my way around to the minotaurs right now to see if it works on them.

Anyone else have any feedback or testing with this skill?

CMF #730804 09/11/20 06:53 AM
C
CMF Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Giant Killer is working in game, but only a literal translation of the skill. If you inspect the target, there is a "size" attribute. Majority of the targets you see are "medium" sized. Minotaurs and Ogres are Large.

As many anticipated, picking a smaller race "should" trigger this, to provide advantages and builds for specialized playstyles, but this does not work in game.

A simple "if target size > attacker size = giant killer proc" but right now it simply parses for any target with large or bigger in the size tag.

CMF #730826 09/11/20 07:26 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Giant Killer. When a Large or larger creature within 5 feet of you hits or misses you with an attack, you can use your reaction to attack that creature immediately after its attack, provided that you can see the creature.

Don't see the discrepancy here, seems to be working as intended. The creature itself needs to be "Large or larger", where "larger" simply means huge/gargantuan - there is no player character element there as far as I see.

Last edited by Gaidax; 09/11/20 07:27 AM.
CMF #730842 09/11/20 07:49 AM
C
CMF Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Exactly, it was a literal translation from the tooltip. I was testing "if" character size had any influence at all. I think it would be nice to create a niche to use this trait with small races, and was simply suggesting the viability and prospect of coding logic.

No discrepancy, just providing feedback on how it could be better implemented, otherwise colossal slayer is the clear choice and no reason to take giant killer at all. horde breaker is...ok, for an extra attack, but bad at single target engagements (obviously)...but it is often better to just focus a single target down faster, so again colossal slayer is better out of the three choices you get upon leveling.

"IF" giant killer worked as some have suggested it should/could, it would create some variability in ranger builds to provide choices and balance.

Link Copied to Clipboard