Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#731316 09/11/20 10:11 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

First off, I know this is early access and we have a long way to go but is the game full of tons of unused stuff and not very challenging?

I've put in a good 60 hours or so and it seems that I made though most of chapter 1. What I have found is that I hardly use the inventory and magic in the game. For weapons and armor, sure I use the best that comes along but for potions, poisons, scrolls, and all the other inventory, I rarely use it. I eat food all the time though. For spells, I rarely use those too since I keep thinking that I need to save the for a tough situation when I can't return to camp. The only scroll I use is the one to raise the dead. I do routinely use the cantrips although they tend to be the same ones. Is dipping or knock unconscious even needed for anything?

In the end, I collect a ton of stuff but never need it. I am really surprised how little spells are needed. Perhaps I am not being adventurous enough and not experimenting but the game's challenge should lead me into thinking more.

I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?

Btw, I am playing a warlock.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Well, it's the kind of problem I have with this game too. If I want a challenge, I play solo or with two characters.

I think we have to wait for more difficulty levels. I do hope we will get an equivalent to tactical difficulty in DOS 2 with ironman one save option.

But yeah it's kind of sad you have spell casters and you don't need much of their kit to go through your journey.

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/11/20 10:16 PM.
addict
addict
Well I don't think that not using Magic and consumables always is a problem. One of the reasons I hated DOS1 was that I needed to use consumables and ressurection scrolls in every fight.

Last edited by Danielbda; 09/11/20 10:19 PM.
addict
addict
It starts out quite hard then gets easier as your metagame knowledge increases - like many video games

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 09/11/20 10:32 PM.
addict
addict
I had a slight struggle on my first playthrough because I didn't realize how critical positioning and lighting was, but once I figured it out, I never really felt in danger until the "end" when things were higher level than I was.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

old hand
old hand
I agree, it's pretty easy right now. Even the hardest encounters are pretty easy. For certain players. Original poster is obviously one of those players, as am I, and some others on this forum. However, we are the minority. I've seen far more posts or comments, here and on the subreddit and on Twitch and YouTube, saying that the game is too HARD, than I have ones saying that it's easy.

This is why games have difficulty settings, and why BG3 will have difficulty settings.

I just hope that there is some option for difficulty which doesn't JUST make the monsters have more HP and do more damage, but also which reduces the amount of wealth and resources you can accumulate. Because right now, you can accumulate a WHOLE LOT.

See my detailed post about this: THE HAUL

enthusiast
enthusiast
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal
Lower ground - ultra hard
Higher ground - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!! HE-MAN!

Conclusion? DOS.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Conclusion? Real life, pretty much.

addict
addict
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Could have said "High Ground- Obi-Wan" and achieved comedy gold, but you had to go the tired old troll route.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

Originally Posted by Tzelanit

Could have said "High Ground- Obi-Wan" and achieved comedy gold, but you had to go the tired old troll route.

I don't watch trek wars so I only the know the reference to take the piss out of it.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
The game is rather easy right now due to unlimited resting. You don't really need consumables because you can always engage at 100% for free. You build up tons of economic/loot momentum and the game snowballs from there.

That's why I'm really hoping the game difficulty will be more than just monsters having bloated stats. I'd prefer a system where you can increase the macro difficulty too - i.e. resting options/requirements, # of short rest, etc.

But if they are going to implement that, Larian will need to improve their difficulty settings from DOS 2, since people will have varying taste. Hopefully they'll need more customization options (instead of just story classic, tactician) - maybe something like Kingmaker with various option sliders.

addict
addict

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

i love this post since it tries so hard but since it would be ms^-2 rather than ms^2 its an epic self own

addict
addict
I am hoping for a complex set of difficulty sliders/toggles. No a simple seting with 3 or 4 choices. Ability to turn off height advantage, turn off ground effects, limit resting, Pass all dialog rolls, etc.

PS if you are looking for a challenge. Solo it w/out playing cheese wiz, barrelmancer, etc. It is QUITE challenging IMO.

Last edited by RumRunner151; 10/11/20 12:54 AM.
I found it to be incredibly hard.. and tedious in some areas.. Not trolling i have died a lot, mostly due to bad bugs and poor non D&D 5th edition mechanics.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal

Conclusion? DOS.

Apparently you've never used a real weapon in your life lol 😂

Last edited by DanteYoda; 10/11/20 01:42 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
A couple gripes I have with the fights/ AI (besides my usual flying minotaurs rant) are even supposed dumb monsters and animals seem to prioritize characters with active concentration spells AND most encounters will prioritize downed characters over ones that are still threats...even though they have NOOOOO reason to think I can bring them back into the fight. I would say, if an enemy is smart enough to heal or help their allies when they're downed then they're smart enough to finish off my downed characters, but if they're not then why is that prioritized. Smart enemies that know I have a healer, sure. The rest? Gimme a break. The same applies to the concentration spell comment. If they can cast spells or are at least aware of how they work, sure.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

i love this post since it tries so hard but since it would be ms^-2 rather than ms^2 its an epic self own

Flawless victory.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 10/11/20 06:30 AM.
veteran
veteran
I think it's easy right now as well. I didn't think too much of how many items or magic I use, I just noticed that I tend to kill everything quite easily, and most of the hardships I had came from limitations I placed on myself ( good example would be win the helm's deep battle but keep Zavlor alive to celebrate with us). There are exactly two hard battles in the game- the spider queen and the minotaurs. The spider queen was only really impossible if I was undrleveled and the minotaurs have specific strategies you need in order to win. Other than that you have the gith patrol that is very hard but doable.

I think it's important when I say it's easy because usually when I play crpgs I play on easy or normal and even then I find most of them to be very hard.

And I never use any cheese or barrelmancy or stuff like that.

Some things I also never do in my playthroughs - I never fight the devil on the ship or the red dragon.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
The minotaurs are a bit overhyped, to me. They did a total of 7 points of damage to my party. And I didn't use barrels, wyvern poison, scrolls, potions of speed or strength, ogre-summoning horn, Glut or Glut zombies, stealth exploiting, crate towers, or anything else cheesy. (Didn't even have any of the magic items from the Underdark yet.)

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 10/11/20 07:10 AM.
addict
addict
Ok ...I have no doubt that some of you guys are more proficient at gaming - I have been gaming for 30+ years and I’m gloriously average.
However I do find it amusing when people say it’s to easy & they are clearly abusing the resting mechanics - sure if I rest after every scrap I’d find it easier too - but I don’t - where is the fun and challenge in that?
And please do not hit me with the - well the game allows it line ....
If your good - genuinely good hats off to you & yes harder modes will be what you need.
Otherwise your just as mediocre as the rest of us.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

ms⁻²? I love my compose key, etc. Other than that, I dunno, I got a grade E at A-level physics 34 years ago and now remember even less than I did during the exams.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard