Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Many characters in the game don't react properly to the fact my character is part drow even though they are supposed to. Its happened so often I thought I'd just make a separate thread listing them all. I suspect this has something to do with the game prioritizing the half-elf tag over the half-drow tag. Divinity: Original Sin 2 had a similar issue where Red Prince would say my God was Rhalic instead of Amadia if I was playing a human undead custom character. I'll be adding more to the list as I encounter them.

All the Origin characters.

All the Goblins except Sazza have this issue. That includes the Goblins at the blighted town (for some users they do respond properly).

All tieflings, except Zevlor. This includes the tieflings that are holding Lae'zel captive.

Omeluum & Blurg

Kagha

Barcus Wroot seems to prioritize the Rare tag, because the response I got from him was the same as a Githyanki.

Last edited by Damashi; 10/11/20 06:25 AM.
You’re being treated as half elf or as a drow?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Only I can recall was Minthara trashing my character for being half drow abomination or smt like that.

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by T2aV
You’re being treated as half elf or as a drow?

The answer is that its inconsistent from character to character. What SHOULD be happening is that everyone should be acting like my character is a drow with the exception of native Underdark residents like Minthara (full drow, duergar, etc.), because most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference at a glance. In the case of underdark residents, holf-drow should be treated exactly like everyone else (or worse) until they prove their worth. Part of the struggle and appeal of being of half-drow is that you are not really welcome anywhere, because non-underdark residents think of you as a drow and as a result either hate or fear you, and underdark residents view you as just another elf or a potential slave.

Last edited by Damashi; 13/11/20 10:27 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Verte
Only I can recall was Minthara trashing my character for being half drow abomination or smt like that.

Damn, couldn't you take a pic of the dialogue? Now I will have to try a half drow to check this gem XD

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Verte

Damn, couldn't you take a pic of the dialogue? Now I will have to try a half drow to check this gem XD

I would reload the save but sadly my gaming laptop is left at home for now. smirk

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....07D5ACA4B59881F5D5D530109A4E82333AFD2AC/

Really annoying that this keeps happening. I hope stuff like this doesn't find its way into the final game like the Amadia/Rhalic custom_undead human situation in Divinity: Original Sin 2, because it takes me out of the story every time it happens.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I actually had the same issue as a half-drow and stopped playing the character because there was no point in being half drow if I was just treated like any old elf. I shoud either be an elf or a drow. It's like if someone was a half tiefling, had a tail and little horns but the features were more human than a normal tiefling and everyone treats me like a human even though I very clearly have horns and a tail...It's kinda like, why is this even an option if it doesn't change anything?

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
During conversation with Auntie Ethel a human dialog option appeared.

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by AnnaKin89
I actually had the same issue as a half-drow and stopped playing the character because there was no point in being half drow if I was just treated like any old elf. I shoud either be an elf or a drow. It's like if someone was a half tiefling, had a tail and little horns but the features were more human than a normal tiefling and everyone treats me like a human even though I very clearly have horns and a tail...It's kinda like, why is this even an option if it doesn't change anything?

I'm sure most of the half-drow interactions will be fixed by the final game, but I imagine quite a few mistakes will sneak through because BG3 is such a massive game with multiple novels worth of dialog. As long as we make them aware of the issues Larian will fix them eventually.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Damashi

Playing full Drow and this showed up for me as well.

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by Damashi

Playing full Drow and this showed up for me as well.

I think everyone is having that option appear, since I saw it happen in Odd's run, and he was playing a Githyanki.

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Small update after patch 3: I noticed some more druids respond properly to my character's drow heritage where they didn't previously, but the Goblins at the blighted village, and Kagha still aren't giving a drow reactions. I'm starting to think it may be a good idea to remove the half-elf tag from Half-Drow entirely, and replace it with the drow tag, because it may lead to less weird situations where character don't respond properly. Also the half-elf tag option being available during the conversation with Shadowheart is bizarre since we are half breeds of two completely different kinds of elves.

Last edited by Damashi; 04/12/20 08:39 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Since I played all the way through as Drow and never tried Half-Drow this is interesting.

Just from a lore stand point, yeah, half-drow do look kinda drowish. Like how half-elves look kinda elfish to humans and kinda human to elves. Shadowheart is a good example because Lae'zel thinks she's just an elf. But the point is the "kinda" part. So depending on what the human parent looked like you get a wide plethora of what traits they might inherit (read: what you choose to make them look like.) A human might not even think they're half-drow unless they have bright red eyes. They might see the ears, normal color eyes and pale kinda purplish skin and go "ah, mommy was a moon elf, huh?"

So it's not so much developer oversight as much as it is people look at half-elves and don't really see any subtext of what kinda elf or what kinda human mom and dad were. Elves see ears too short, humans see ears too pointy.

Drow, however, *would* notice. Because drow have been mostly selectively breeding for a few thousand years. They see someone with enough drow traits and go, "Ah. Your mother had a human concubine then?" at best and think you're the drow equivalent of a mudblood at worst.

So your character *should* make half-drow remarks, and probably half-elf remarks, but a big chunk might see a half-drow and not realize the drow part.

In reality, maybe more people might jump and think drow, but that depends on region of Faerun and the person running the game. Remember: in the game world there are a lot less half-drow population than drow. (Your character is unique and doesn't equate to in game population ratios, because in the pen and paper version you can play as a bird man that has power armor if you really want to.) So, maybe Larian should make or has made in the areas we haven't seen more half-drow or people seeing a half-drow and thinking "oh, drow!" reactions.

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SavvyPanda
Since I played all the way through as Drow and never tried Half-Drow this is interesting.

Just from a lore stand point, yeah, half-drow do look kinda drowish. Like how half-elves look kinda elfish to humans and kinda human to elves. Shadowheart is a good example because Lae'zel thinks she's just an elf. But the point is the "kinda" part. So depending on what the human parent looked like you get a wide plethora of what traits they might inherit (read: what you choose to make them look like.) A human might not even think they're half-drow unless they have bright red eyes. They might see the ears, normal color eyes and pale kinda purplish skin and go "ah, mommy was a moon elf, huh?"

So it's not so much developer oversight as much as it is people look at half-elves and don't really see any subtext of what kinda elf or what kinda human mom and dad were. Elves see ears too short, humans see ears too pointy.

Drow, however, *would* notice. Because drow have been mostly selectively breeding for a few thousand years. They see someone with enough drow traits and go, "Ah. Your mother had a human concubine then?" at best and think you're the drow equivalent of a mudblood at worst.

So your character *should* make half-drow remarks, and probably half-elf remarks, but a big chunk might see a half-drow and not realize the drow part.

In reality, maybe more people might jump and think drow, but that depends on region of Faerun and the person running the game. Remember: in the game world there are a lot less half-drow population than drow. (Your character is unique and doesn't equate to in game population ratios, because in the pen and paper version you can play as a bird man that has power armor if you really want to.) So, maybe Larian should make or has made in the areas we haven't seen more half-drow or people seeing a half-drow and thinking "oh, drow!" reactions.

I don't think it's an oversight/bug in all instances, but it definitely is in the case of Blurg, Omeluum, and Barcus, because these are characters that absolutely should not be responding in the way they were in patch 1 & 2 (haven't gotten to them in patch 3 yet). What would be helpful is if they communicated the kind of experience they want half-drow to have with the characters of the world to us. The text description of half-drow in game, and in the players handbook seems that they would want players to have the "positive" mechanical aspects of their heritage for gameplay, while having the "negative" aspects of their heritage in social interactions.

Edit: Got to Barcus he's still prioritizing the rare tag.

Last edited by Damashi; 05/12/20 09:59 PM.
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

Link Copied to Clipboard