Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Kiting melee enemies around a item of terrain and filling them full of arrows at level 1 is the nostalgic BG1 experience larian promised to deliver, and have.

[Linked Image]

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Hopefully you get two scimitars with good stats and dumb names at the end of all that, just like in BG1. : p

old hand
old hand
Your posts always deliver.

veteran
veteran
I actually kind of agree...? When I think bg2 I think Athkatla and big story and epic dragon fights, but the one word I would use to describe the original would be wilderness. Sure you had Baragoset and Baldur's Gate itself (much later into the game) but I think I've spent most of the original just wandering around and stumbling upon cool shit

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
I actually kind of agree...? When I think bg2 I think Athkatla and big story and epic dragon fights, but the one word I would use to describe the original would be wilderness. Sure you had Baragoset and Baldur's Gate itself (much later into the game) but I think I've spent most of the original just wandering around and stumbling upon cool shit

I think BG3 has a long way to go if it wants to be even vaguely reminiscent of the classic saga, but I do like how general... act structure in terms of places visited seems to be a callback. Intro sequence -> wilderness -> BG. I just hope BG is soon after Act 1 - in BG1 it was a bit too late into the game imo. It would be great if BG3 had BG as "the main place" throughout most of the game.

veteran
veteran

See I totally agree with you here about what was so special about how playing BG1 felt. But I'm not (yet) convinced BG3 delivers that same experience and feeling. Admittedly I am not (yet) playing the game myself, and am reacting only to what I am seeing in other people's streams, but nevertheless ....

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha

See I totally agree with you here about what was so special about how playing BG1 felt. But I'm not (yet) convinced BG3 delivers that same experience and feeling. Admittedly I am not (yet) playing the game myself, and am reacting only to what I am seeing in other people's streams, but nevertheless ....

I would say that the main difference right now is the frequency. Since the map is much smaller, you stumble upon something much more than in bg1. In theory it's supposed to be better, because it's less "dead time" of just walking around, but I think the game would benefit from a larger map greatly.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
C
journeyman
journeyman
C

And your adventure started with some chipper or amusing companions right from the start instead of a bunch of a-holes or socially emotionally disturbed a-holes.

old hand
old hand
I love how this is a troll thread and all these people are taking it seriously and not even getting what the original post was about.

veteran
veteran
I don't think its the case that people don't recognize it as a troll thread -- indeed some of the most active threads on the forums were started as troll threads and people took them in other directions. I find the dynamic kinda interesting "right, we see you are trolling but while we are waiting for the patch to arrive why see if we can take this in our preferred direction"

I don't think I've ever seen a forum with so many troll threads that became serious. Or one that had a many trolls that disrupted the attempts of other trolls to agitate. It's interesting.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I love how this is a troll thread and all these people are taking it seriously and not even getting what the original post was about.

Tbh I don't see a single person that took the post seriously. (I didn't take it as trolling, either; just as a joke-y/sarcastic post.) But we proceeded to shift the thread into more serious ground. wink

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I don't think its the case that people don't recognize it as a troll thread -- indeed some of the most active threads on the forums were started as troll threads and people took them in other directions. I find the dynamic kinda interesting "right, we see you are trolling but while we are waiting for the patch to arrive why see if we can take this in our preferred direction"

I don't think I've ever seen a forum with so many troll threads that became serious. Or one that had a many trolls that disrupted the attempts of other trolls to agitate. It's interesting.

Yeah, exactly. I think my favourite example is the "the only good thing about BG3 is Pathfinder and Solasta" thread, which resulted in a civil, pages-long discussion about the different RPGs out there and their merits.

addict
addict
Yeah not that I am condoning Troll threads, but it must be said the community here has done a pretty decent job of turning those threads into something worth reading and debating on.

old hand
old hand
This isn't a troll thread. OP made a joke. It was funny and I chuckled. +1 OP.

There's no bait and no trolling.

Optimistically Apocalyptic

Link Copied to Clipboard