Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Does ANYONE care about BG3 running on Mac? And if so, how many percent of players actually play BG3 on a Mac? I'm guessing way less than 1%. Even if it runs on Mac, the performance and graphics is gonna be lacking at best.... That's not to rant about Mac at all, but objectively speaking, these computers are simply not made for gaming. I don't understand why Larian are wasting time and resources on that, instead of adressing feedback and bug fixing.

Last edited by Sigi98; 10/11/20 10:11 PM.
Joined: Mar 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Sigi98
I don't understand why Larian are wasting time and resources on that, instead of adressing feedback and bug fixing.


Its probably because adressing feedback and bug fixing has more than enough recources and they are able to take care of both on a good level.

However some people (not adressing to you precisely) expect larian to comment in every thread were nothing is to say rather than "yeah, we read that, dont know about it because the game still is in early development" or fix bugs on a weekly basis - i think those have wrong expectations to early access

Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
What's this hate for mac users exactly? Don't you have other things to do in your life than assuming mac users don't deserve to play this game on their machine and you should complain about it?

I would say in return: who cares about your complains?

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 09:21 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Nyanko
What's this hate for mac users exactly? Don't you have other things to do in your life than assuming mac users don't deserve to play this game on their machine and you should complain about it?

I would say in return: who cares about your complains?


Wow hold your horses - I specifically said that I am not ranting about Macs. I dont have anything against Mac users whatsoever. Why would I? Your claim that I supposedly hate Mac users is baseless. Jeez.

So if you dont have anything to say about the threads topic, dont write in here, and dont accuse me of thinking that Mac users dont 'deserve' to play this game, since I have in no way claimed that.

All I am really trying to say with this post is that a really small percentage of players play the game on Mac, and IN MY OPINION (that said, it is really just an opinion of me, a standard player) that is not worth the time and recources. If you have a different opinion, I would love to hear your argument and discuss this without baseless accusations, llike adults.
Thank you.

Last edited by Sigi98; 10/11/20 09:42 PM.
Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by Nyanko
What's this hate for mac users exactly? Don't you have other things to do in your life than assuming mac users don't deserve to play this game on their machine and you should complain about it?

I would say in return: who cares about your complains?


Wow hold your horses - I specifically said that I am not ranting about Macs. I dont have anything against Mac users whatsoever. Why would I? Your claim that I supposedly hate Mac users is baseless. Jeez.

So if you dont have anything to say about the threads topic, dont write in here, and dont accuse me of thinking that Mac users dont 'deserve' to play this game, since I have in no way claimed that.
Thank you.


Well, your claim macs are not made for gaming is totally false and shows you don't know anything about mac computers. My cousin plays this game on a macbook pro 2018 and it runs as smoothly as on any PC right now.

Plus, you say it's only 1% of the player base. The game has sold more than 1 million copies already. So who are you to think your complains are more valuable than the enjoyment of 10k players?

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
I've noticed a lot of people on social media today going at this Mac announcement pretty hard.
My only issue with distribution across multiple platforms is that resources are being put into those things and delaying fixes and patches for the EA process.
Yes, I understand that they're likely different teams, but appealing to smaller niche audiences in general (Stadia, you dead platform, I'm looking at you) does sorta annoy me because that's time and money that could be put into any countless number of things to get this out of EA even just a few weeks faster.

I don't agree with coming at the users specifically (which I don't feel OP is doing, as his complaint appears to be clearly targeted at the platform and not the people,) but I understand the frustration.


I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
This is a very selfish argument if you ask me. Why should your platform be more optimized and loved than others exactly? Personally, even if I am PC player, I am happy this game is distributed on as many platforms as Larian can because everyone deserves to play a good game, no matter what machine they are playing it on.

Suffice to say, I hate platform exclusivities. These practices should be banned. The games and the players are important, not the platforms they are playing on. And as a computer engineer myself, I can tell you it angers me when I see some commercial exclusivities signed by big techs even though the game uses some codes that can run on basically anything.

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 09:53 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by Nyanko
What's this hate for mac users exactly? Don't you have other things to do in your life than assuming mac users don't deserve to play this game on their machine and you should complain about it?

I would say in return: who cares about your complains?


Wow hold your horses - I specifically said that I am not ranting about Macs. I dont have anything against Mac users whatsoever. Why would I? Your claim that I supposedly hate Mac users is baseless. Jeez.

So if you dont have anything to say about the threads topic, dont write in here, and dont accuse me of thinking that Mac users dont 'deserve' to play this game, since I have in no way claimed that.
Thank you.


Well, your claim macs are not made for gaming is totally false and shows you don't know anything about mac computers. My cousin plays this game on a macbook pro 2018 and it runs as smoothly as on any PC right now.

Plus, you say it's only 1% of the player base. The game has sold more than 1 million copies already. So who are you to think your complains are more valuable than the enjoyment of 10k players?


If your cousin really plays BG3 on a macbook pro 2018, I'm glad for them. My boyfriend cant, for instance, and he has some newer version. But this is not the point of the discussion.

As an example, there would be way more people with consoles that would also like to play the game. But they cant, as of yet. Does that mean Larian think these people dont deserve to play? Of course not. And neither do I think Mac users dont deserve to play.
In fact, if Larian want to do that, thats totally fine. All I am saying is that RIGHT NOW there are other things with higher priorities, IN MY OPINION (cant stress this enough).

Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I've noticed a lot of people on social media today going at this Mac announcement pretty hard.
My only issue with distribution across multiple platforms is that resources are being put into those things and delaying fixes and patches for the EA process.
Yes, I understand that they're likely different teams, but appealing to smaller niche audiences in general (Stadia, you dead platform, I'm looking at you) does sorta annoy me because that's time and money that could be put into any countless number of things to get this out of EA even just a few weeks faster.

I don't agree with coming at the users specifically (which I don't feel OP is doing, as his complaint appears to be clearly targeted at the platform and not the people,) but I understand the frustration.


As I am glad you pointed out, I am NOT targeting Mac users. I think I made this clear.

Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by Nyanko
What's this hate for mac users exactly? Don't you have other things to do in your life than assuming mac users don't deserve to play this game on their machine and you should complain about it?

I would say in return: who cares about your complains?


Wow hold your horses - I specifically said that I am not ranting about Macs. I dont have anything against Mac users whatsoever. Why would I? Your claim that I supposedly hate Mac users is baseless. Jeez.

So if you dont have anything to say about the threads topic, dont write in here, and dont accuse me of thinking that Mac users dont 'deserve' to play this game, since I have in no way claimed that.
Thank you.


Well, your claim macs are not made for gaming is totally false and shows you don't know anything about mac computers. My cousin plays this game on a macbook pro 2018 and it runs as smoothly as on any PC right now.

Plus, you say it's only 1% of the player base. The game has sold more than 1 million copies already. So who are you to think your complains are more valuable than the enjoyment of 10k players?


If your cousin really plays BG3 on a macbook pro 2018, I'm glad for them. My boyfriend cant, for instance, and he has some newer version. But this is not the point of the discussion.

As an example, there would be way more people with consoles that would also like to play the game. But they cant, as of yet. Does that mean Larian think these people dont deserve to play? Of course not. And neither do I think Mac users dont deserve to play.
In fact, if Larian want to do that, thats totally fine. All I am saying is that RIGHT NOW there are other things with higher priorities, IN MY OPINION (cant stress this enough).


Ok, then your boyfriend must have another problem on his mac. Because I could run BG3 on my ipad pro if it was available. The newest mac machines are graphics powerhouses.

Joined: Jul 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2014
Ehh... hold your horses buddy.

While my main gaming machine is my PC, I do sometimes off game on my MacBook Pro when I'm away and it's hardly AS horrible as people make it out to be. It sure is not a powerhouse gaming platform, but for example it's enough to run something like WoW at native resolution at 60FPS with average details and quite a few other titles too.

It certainly is plausible that BG3 will be able to be tuned to run on these machines reasonably well considering it's not some absolutely insane graphics powerhouse there.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020

Originally Posted by Nyanko
Ok, then your boyfriend must have another problem on his mac. Because I could run BG3 on my ipad pro if it was available. The newest mac machines are graphics powerhouses.


Thats great, but not the point of the discussion.

Joined: Oct 2020
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Nyanko
[
Ok, then your boyfriend must have another problem on his mac. Because I could run BG3 on my ipad pro if it was available. The newest mac machines are graphics powerhouses.


no they are not

Vega 56
Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics processor
with 8GB of HBM2 memory

is GARBAGE

a rtx 2070 is 40% stronger

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 10/11/20 10:02 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Jul 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
Originally Posted by Nyanko
[
Ok, then your boyfriend must have another problem on his mac. Because I could run BG3 on my ipad pro if it was available. The newest mac machines are graphics powerhouses.


no they are not

Vega 56
Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics processor
with 8GB of HBM2 memory

is GARBAGE


Newest MacBook Pros come with 5600M option, that's a 1660Ti mobile level of 3D capability. That's plenty enough for A LOT of games, really.

I think going this ego trip aside - for a laptop that does not weight 5 tons like these Eurocom monstrosities, it's not bad at all. Definitely enough power to run BG3 at native resolution for example.

Last edited by Gaidax; 10/11/20 10:05 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
Originally Posted by Nyanko
[
Ok, then your boyfriend must have another problem on his mac. Because I could run BG3 on my ipad pro if it was available. The newest mac machines are graphics powerhouses.


no they are not

Vega 56
Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics processor
with 8GB of HBM2 memory

is GARBAGE


Newest MacBook Pros come with 5600M option, that's a 1660Ti mobile level of 3D capability. That's plenty enough for A LOT of games, really.


1660Ti is the bare minimum entry lvl gpu for a 2020 computer

lightyear away from graphic powerhouse

they make computer with 2020 i9 CPU but then throw in there a 2014 GPU

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 10/11/20 10:07 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
Originally Posted by Nyanko
[
Ok, then your boyfriend must have another problem on his mac. Because I could run BG3 on my ipad pro if it was available. The newest mac machines are graphics powerhouses.


no they are not

Vega 56
Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics processor
with 8GB of HBM2 memory

is GARBAGE

a rtx 2070 is 40% stronger


I don't know about Vega. But we manage to get a very good framerate with a Radeon Pro 560X on a 15" macbook pro, which is from 2018. So I assume the newer macbook pros are even better.

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 10:08 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
Sigi98 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020

People, please, thats not the point of the discussion.

Last edited by Sigi98; 10/11/20 10:08 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Oct 2020
no nobody care, nobody play on mac any way I say 3.5% let look at the steam data
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

yeah 3.5% plau on iso while 89% on windows and the remaining % is all othere OS

linux and iso , are not worth the investissement compared to say a consol port

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 10/11/20 10:11 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Yes, the point of the discussion is the OP whining about the fact she knows better than Larian where to put their resources to make their game. That's fantastic news. Maybe the OP can get a management job at their headquarters or something.

It might be a good idea to apply.

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 10:10 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self

1660Ti is the bare minimum entry lvl gpu for a 2020 computer


Get off your horse brudda...

You know what is the most popular GPU used by Steam users? 1060... what's the second most popular? 1050Ti - these two together account for almost 20% of all Steam users when it comes to 3D capability.

If you take all the variants and flavors of 1060 and comparable GPUs - it's more than 35 % there. And I'm not even talking about lower than that.


I think some people need a reality check, as if everyone rocks 3080s or some such. A LOT of people game on laptops and these are the GPUs you can overwhelmingly expect there.

BG3 is no Crysis, it does not push revolutionary graphics, so I am not so sure why you are going such "pikachuface" over prospect of it running on MacBook Pro - which it perfectly will be able to do.

Last edited by Gaidax; 10/11/20 10:12 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5