Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
every single videogame developers company(excluding mmo) who made game base on DnD , died or when bankrupt or got bought and got dissolved, sued. ...etc.

coincidence ?
curse ?
discus :P

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 11/11/20 04:18 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
old hand
old hand
BioWare hasn't been dissolved. Yet.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
BioWare hasn't been dissolved. Yet.

yet smile but it got bought smile BY EA ... in a way ... they died smile

and bioware did not made BG, black isle with interplay did ,
bioware only brought the licence something like that or did they sued interplay for it ?
there was some very sketchy / court stuff going on in those times, about the "game engines"

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 11/11/20 04:16 PM.

S
veteran
veteran
S
pretty much every video game designer that is around for long enaugh dies, goes bankrupt or sold off. Or becomes a publisher.
Unless they dont, like larian.

addict
addict
BioWare developed BG1&2, Black Isle published it. BioWare also developed Infinity Engine. Black Isle Studios (whose key members later went on to form Troika and Obsidian) developed Fallout 1&2, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
BioWare developed BG1&2, Black Isle published it. BioWare also developed Infinity Engine. Black Isle Studios (whose key members later went on to form Troika and Obsidian) developed Fallout 1&2, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale.

oups :P my mistake smile but there is a lot of miss match information on the web

Interplay Entertainment
published all Baldur's Gate games
Black Isle Studios and bioware are the dev.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Black Isle Studios was a division of the developer of the publisher Interplay Entertainment something like that smile
both were in together smile

the only survivor of this era is Bioware smile

history is worth by the winners :P

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 11/11/20 04:44 PM.

T
addict
addict
T
I mean, most video game developer companies from that era are gone and their members and assets passed on to other companies. This isn't a phenomenon tied to D&D video games...it's just part and parcel of the video game industry.

addict
addict
Yeah, but how much money did they make and distribute?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
every single videogame developers company(excluding mmo) who made game base on DnD , died or when bankrupt or got bought and got dissolved, sued. ...etc.

coincidence ?
curse ?
discus :P

It's called capitalism.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The history of D&D games is mainly shaped by by very few publishers and developers. Some of them went bust. Part coincidence, part licensing policies of the D&D holders (or else there would have been more games/publishers involved), part because it was all comparably niche. Even Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights sold no more than ~2 million units. Whilst very profitable, had any of those games branded as D&D come with an inbuilt guaranteed audience of blockbuster like calibre, then life would have likely been easier for each dev/publisher involved.

Still, there was SSI who under Mindscape didn't reknew their D&D licenses (but for which it had been profitable). Then along came Interplay, and Black Isle / Bioware brought in the profits, the problem likewise was someplace else. Troika and n-space each did a single game in their tactical dungeon crawler Temple Of Elemental Evil and Sword Coast legends respectively, and that was that. On the online front, technically Turbine still exists, so does Cryptic.

Last edited by Sven_; 12/11/20 03:45 AM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard