Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#732939 12/11/20 07:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2020
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Nov 2020
I have been playing DnD for many years and I can't recall many depictions of 1 handed swords being worn on backs. I think it works in legend of Zelda, but it looks so weird in Baldur's Gate 3. I'm also a history buff and I'm highly intrigued by weapons and warfare of old. Swords were pretty much, as far as any historical records indicate, never worn on backs. It looks fine for big 2 handed weapons, but it looks so silly 1 handed weapons. I know this is a fantasy game and I am loving it. That being said why rapiers and other smaller swords (smaller than zweihander) on back. Its so dorky and there is no reason for it. History aside, its just highly impractical. Seriously. Get a sword. Put it on your back. Then try to draw it. To me it looks like putting a hat on a foot (why would you do that?). No scabbards makes it easier I suppose but if they are supposed to be hanging from a loop it would end up having the same problem. Kinda ruins immersion because I would never roleplay a character that wields a 1 handed sword on his back, let alone be in a party with anyone who would...I know I will probably get flak for this, and overall this is a small complaint, but I would love to see a rogue carry his rapier(s) on his hip. Please reconsider how characters carry their 1 handed weapons, or maybe even give an option to change it please. I beg you.

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
It does seem to be a bit of a fantasy standard. I have a RL hand-and-a-half (an Albion Gallowglass) and while I can't say how that fits into D&D's slightly esoteric categories, it's definitely not a small sword. But in spite of me not being particularly tall (5'7"/171cm) I can wear it from a belt with no problems: it doesn't drag on the ground, I can yank it out of its scabbard etc.

I have slightly mixed feelings about the subject. It's not realistic. On the other hand, I like swords so I like being able to see them, and while they're on my characters' backs I tend to get a better look. So there is that. And the swords are (so far) better done than the usual bejewelled spiky horrors that the fantasy genre is overly fond of...


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
The long sword in BG3 is a little long for my tastes, it’s more like a bastard sword (which isn’t inaccurate historically speaking), I just prefer the AD&D bg1/2 variants.

Yes to down by side, I just think scabbards tend to be a pain to do graphically.

Last edited by Riandor; 12/11/20 07:43 AM.
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
I'm not really annoyed by weapons on our back. This is not really "immersion breaking" to me even if it's not "realistic".
What is really a problem according to me is that our shields /secondary weapons just appear and dissapear.

Everything on the back is fine to me, but everything... And maybe it's easier to have melee weapons on hips + bow/quiver/(shield) on our back.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/11/20 07:47 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
L
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
L
Joined: Oct 2020
It's not only swords, the staff in the back looks absolutely STUPID.

Two handed weapons, especially the long sticks (staff and spears and halberd) should ALWAYS be in one hand or two, not attached to back PERIOD. It's sooo silly.

Artists, please stop being lazy and work a little.

Last edited by Lumign; 12/11/20 07:52 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by Lumign
It's not only swords, the staff in the back looks absolutely STUPID.

Two handed weapons, especially the long sticks (staff and spears and halberd) should ALWAYS be in one hand or two, not attached to back PERIOD. It's sooo silly.

Artists, please stop being lazy and work a little.

Talking about lazyness ... have you tryed to simply click Tab?


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Nothing looks dumber than when you are wielding a lit torch, and your character just casually puts that burning torch on their back, lit end down.

Joined: Oct 2020
L
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
L
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Lumign
It's not only swords, the staff in the back looks absolutely STUPID.

Two handed weapons, especially the long sticks (staff and spears and halberd) should ALWAYS be in one hand or two, not attached to back PERIOD. It's sooo silly.

Artists, please stop being lazy and work a little.

Talking about lazyness ... have you tryed to simply click Tab?


I just tried.

And you know what?

Right when I decide to cast a spell the staff goes back to the back.

Is it some kind of homage to World of Warcraft or just "We don't have time to make spellcasting animation with staff/weapon in one hand, we'll just make the staff magnetically stick to the back"?

*It certainly is not because of DnD 5e rules : you need only ONE free hand to cast spells with somatic components.




Last edited by Lumign; 12/11/20 09:59 AM.
Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Yes definitely. And they already put knives on the hip, so why not longswords as well (at the very least)?


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
Tuv Offline
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Going a little further, having a belt with items visibly represented could be interesting.
We could have weapons and items attached. For visual clues but also to directly target items (alchemist fire) dangling off a goblins belt or shoot and dislodge a weapon the same way.

Some enemies have things like this already and to shoot a flask lying around with a bow already works well and feels great.

Joined: Oct 2020
A
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
A
Joined: Oct 2020
It's ironic that they don't cast spells using their staff... since staffs are ARCANE FOCI! They are supposed to use it to cast their spells!

I really loath the staff on back too

Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
I have never tried it and probably don't have much of a spatial/kinetic sense but wouldn't a sword on the back be completely possible as long as you have a sheath that can swing outward from the body when you start drawing the sword?

Also a point for thought -- I know swords weren't carried on backs in any kind of combat situation but I always figured it would be the most comfortable placement for long swords when marching and not expecting to have to use it.

These are both really side thoughts though. I agree that it would be nice if swords were on the belt. Axes and clubs and such even more.


Originally Posted by Riandor
The long sword in BG3 is a little long for my tastes, it’s more like a bastard sword (which isn’t inaccurate historically speaking), I just prefer the AD&D bg1/2 variants.

Yes to down by side, I just think scabbards tend to be a pain to do graphically.


Bastard swords count as Longswords in 5th ed terms.


Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Nothing looks dumber than when you are wielding a lit torch, and your character just casually puts that burning torch on their back, lit end down.


Is that a fire in your pants or are you just happy to see me?


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Nothing looks dumber than when you are wielding a lit torch, and your character just casually puts that burning torch on their back, lit end down.

Is that a fire in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Reminds me of the famous last words of Joan of Arc: "lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire."

Edit: I feel I should point out this was a University Challenge question so it's totes legit.

Last edited by vometia; 12/11/20 03:08 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by vometia
Reminds me of the famous last words of Joan of Arc: "lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire."

She was evidently a victim of arson.

Joined: Nov 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Nov 2020
It would make me immensely happy to see my wizard using their staff as a walking stick and using it as a focus for their magic.
Imagine how cool it would look preparing a firebolt in one hand while brandishing their staff in the other. Also it looks so stupid when a cleric smashes their mace onto their back imo it would look much better on their hip from both a style and functional perspective

Joined: Jul 2014
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not really annoyed by weapons on our back. This is not really "immersion breaking" to me even if it's not "realistic". .


I don't even make it an issue of realism or immersion.
I just find it ugly as shit.
Like horned helms.

And giant pauldrons, of course. Never forget those.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/11/20 09:00 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. You too can join the good fight HERE
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not really annoyed by weapons on our back. This is not really "immersion breaking" to me even if it's not "realistic". .


I don't even make it an issue of realism or immersion.
I just find it ugly as shit.
Like horned helms.

And giant pauldrons, of course. Never forget those.


This.

Joined: Oct 2020
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Oct 2020
[Linked Image]

between 160 cm and 180 cm , ya not gonna hang that on your hip :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjURzgkCuAE&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Skallagrim

they where caring it on shoulder

but this is not REALITY its a fantasy game. aka "Hollywood style" is mandatory

I don't want my fantasy game to be real.

maybe you should wonder where do I put the 70 barrels am carrying.

I know you talking about 1 handed swords but , it look badass "Hollywood style" and "most" people like that

and it good for adventuring.




Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 14/11/20 12:40 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Jul 2014
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Honestly where they are carried is almost secondary to the fact that we should get fucking scabbards/laces.
And yeah, of course the big ones aren't going to the hip....


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. You too can join the good fight HERE
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by countcalcifer
I have been playing DnD for many years and I can't recall many depictions of 1 handed swords being worn on backs. I think it works in legend of Zelda, but it looks so weird in Baldur's Gate 3. I'm also a history buff and I'm highly intrigued by weapons and warfare of old. Swords were pretty much, as far as any historical records indicate, never worn on backs. It looks fine for big 2 handed weapons, but it looks so silly 1 handed weapons. I know this is a fantasy game and I am loving it. That being said why rapiers and other smaller swords (smaller than zweihander) on back. Its so dorky and there is no reason for it. History aside, its just highly impractical. Seriously. Get a sword. Put it on your back. Then try to draw it. To me it looks like putting a hat on a foot (why would you do that?). No scabbards makes it easier I suppose but if they are supposed to be hanging from a loop it would end up having the same problem. Kinda ruins immersion because I would never roleplay a character that wields a 1 handed sword on his back, let alone be in a party with anyone who would...I know I will probably get flak for this, and overall this is a small complaint, but I would love to see a rogue carry his rapier(s) on his hip. Please reconsider how characters carry their 1 handed weapons, or maybe even give an option to change it please. I beg you.






Last edited by fallenj; 13/11/20 11:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5