Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Many people are tossing in +1's. I'd like to hop on-board, and toss in a -8,589,934,592.

This is a completely impractical idea. It only seems like a good idea to people who don't know anything at all about programming.

As the OP and someone who has made a lot of money programming in over a dozen languages over the last 25 years, I think I actually know quite a bit about programming. I think you have done a great job of making a dismissive argument. If I was arguing that the game should be balanced around all the possible permutations, I would agree with you. But I am not, so I don't.

For the record, I have very little faith that my suggestion would be implemented even in part. And if it was, it surely would not be in its entirety. But it's our job to ask for the stars and Larian's to have us accept the moon.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I hope there will also be a "different and more enemies" to mix up encounters. Regular gnolls for normal and heavily armored with magical backup on the very hardest.
Otherwise, since mostly everything is tied to rolling, having a +4 +2 +0 -2 -4 to rolls for 5 difficulties would already be neat

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ormgaard
I have been advocating this approach for the last 3 weeks, its defiantly the way to go, if Larian won't include an options page to customise the game im pretty sure some modders could do it.
Its basicly giving the player the option of a GM thats more suited for his/her playstyle.

also would like to see the following options.

Only short rest from a safe area
Short rest has the chance to get interrupted.
Push distance is STR based as pr 5E ruleset
Jump distance is STR based as pr 5E ruleset
Sneaking characters can be detected by noice (not really viable to sneak in full plate mail)

I agree with the following :
* Fast travel ONLY from portal to portal.
* Only long rest (Main camp) acess from a portal or town [along other Long Rest limitations]
* Stealth checks should be rolled by SOUND when not in vision cone and, in 5e tabletop, DMs rarely encourage hiding in plain sight. For example, Wood Elves have a special perk to hide in bad climate and tall grass, because others CANNOT.

BUT note that clunky armors already give Disadvantage on Stealth, but currently only in the vision cone.

Last edited by Baraz; 18/11/20 04:01 AM.
Originally Posted by Tuv
I hope there will also be a "different and more enemies" to mix up encounters. Regular gnolls for normal and heavily armored with magical backup on the very hardest.
Otherwise, since mostly everything is tied to rolling, having a +4 +2 +0 -2 -4 to rolls for 5 difficulties would already be neat

I hope the enemies have their monster manual stats and not random Larion stats...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
Originally Posted by Tuv

I hope the enemies have their monster manual stats and not random Larion stats...

Monster Manual stats are for noob DMs. Real DMs customize their shit. And then they say...

oh no, I am become all monsters

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Monster Manual stats are for noob DMs.

I wouldn't call Larian DM a noob, but rather "lacking experience to create balanced and challenging multi-encounter adventuring day... experience".
But my definition also qualifies them to use stuff from MM ahead of all else.

M
M
Besides PF Kingmaker which is the king of these toggles, i really liked what Pillars 2 did with Magran's fires, somes of those toggleable options gave the player to chance to tweak certain rules around resting, tweaked food mechanic, downed characters died after some turns spent downed, added weapon durability, added timed quests where story reasons backed it up, weather tweaks etc. it really helped to customize my playthroughs. Given i also intend to play through BG3 multiple times (to try out more races, classes) i would prefer to have some options to alter the core gameplay mechanics a little bit every time i do.
Also as per their new community update it seems Solasta joins the club:
"We've decided to offer a wide variety of options that you'll be able to customize on your own (on top of the preset you can choose from if you want to keep it simple), such as adding modifiers to attacks, saving throws and ability checks, harder AIs that use their powers more often (still limited by the tabletop rules) and target unconscious characters to finish them off, different encumbrance rules - we're even adding weighted dice for those who've prayed extra hard to the RNG gods. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, there will be more for you to play with once we're done with it! "

Last edited by Mat22; 14/01/21 11:20 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard