Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

We can argue about the relevance of all the arguments in this thread but one thing the OP is right about :

Larian are not doing a really impressive writing job, to the least.

Lot of situations lack of options, are too restrictive and even sometimes absurd (Shadowheart disapproving when you refused to throw rock on the Halsin-bear...)

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I don't agree is it clear Larian did much research on the druids in forgotten realms when they written the grove part. Everyone here seems to forget those particular druids are devoted to Silvanus. Now here is the catch Silvanus druids can be vary as Silvanus is a divinity that is neutral. Like i explained in the other thread. For a Circle devoted to Silvanus is always of primary importance to protect the Circle. The Circle again is everything it is a important for a Druid more than how a temple is important for a Cleric. The situation is bad to start with in the other thread i described everything repeating things here would just be useless. However the druids on the grove acted actually like a circle devoted to SIlvanus would do in that case.

I played D&D since the second edition i own basically all the manuals ((excluded the infamous 4th edition that was bad)) and when i reached the Grove and i eard the mention of the Silvanus Druids by Kevlor i was thinking: Oh well... That is going to be problematic.

I knew exactly how they would had acted because Larian actually in this respected the source material quite a lot.

The only thing to understand about this game is that the situation is not explored and explained right away in your face like many games. If you want answer you have to dig a lot deeper. Searching around. Read. Finding Khaga Journal. Talk with Refugees and druids alike. You will get gradually a better picture. Like pieces of a puzle that will connect well.

Just check the Khaga Thread i attempted to explain everything there. At least on the Grove situation i think larian did an awesome job. It is a truly intricated situation.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Zefhyr

We can argue about the relevance of all the arguments in this thread but one thing the OP is right about :

Lot of situations lack of options, are too restrictive and even sometimes absurd (Shadowheart disapproving when you refused to throw rock on the Halsin-bear...)

This particular moment is terribly strange.
If you attack the goblins you will lose your approval immediately, but if you choose the option "I should do same to you" ,you don't lose it even though it ends identically.
As for the limited options, well, this is the price for full voice acting.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 14/11/20 11:32 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
I don’t wholeheartedly agree with OP but I hope Larian reads this anyway. Perhaps this storyline isn’t fully fleshed out yet and we only saw a working draft – we can’t even play a druid yet so there has to be more to it.

veteran
veteran
I wanted to react ... but i gues i would rather do something meaningfull ...
Like i dunno, talk to doors. :-/

You have my opinion writen.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict

Totally subjective. Totally disagree.

It is absolutely not subjectives to say that
1) some dialogues lack of options
2) some situations are absurd.

For the 1), example :
I found the hideout of the kids in the groove. I go in, there are one kid alone, I talked to him. He talk to me like shit and I had no option to intimidate him, forced him to talk, explain what's hanpenning here. No, nothing. I just had to listen him give me is "you search for it!"
There is nothing subjectives here. It's one of this moment which lacks options.

For the 2, same example :
the kids finally said "guys we leave !" even if... HE IS ALONE. Then I just look at him taking some stuff and.... not moving anymore.
ABSURD.

Could give a lot of examples.

Wyll yelling at me for fighting goblins without him even if we actually fights them together...
Shadowheart disapproving when I said "hmmm.. I know lot of people doesn't like your cult".
Gale and Astarion who want to absolutely randomly bang me. Still didn't get why.
The girl who wants to shoot the imprisoned goblins, his dialogue have really few options.
Khaga poor dialogue's choices.
this imprisoned goblins swearing about the other goblins when they are all dead.
etc.

Lots of dialogues are not DAT diversified and sometimes ends in very "unexpected" ways.

Don't get me wrong, there is some good things in the writing but it's really really far from perfect.

And if you can't handle some criticism about the writing, so you're the one who are subjective about them here.

Yeah,
it's one of this moment you see big failure.

Worst was for me after I talked to Halsin to free him, I loot some stuff on the dead goblins and....
HALSIN ACCUSED ME OF STEALING !
ho and, yeah, of course, he attacked me
Big LoL for this absurd moment. But... I guess it's "subjective" !
Totally legit that the guy you saved and who just asked you to kill all the goblins attacks you cause you take a spoon on a dead goblin corpse ! xD

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Then change the goblins to the police, and have them trying to move the druids on from their illegal occupation.

Aradin: "Open the Bloody gate!"
Kanon: "No entry without a tie dye shirt. Zevlor's orders."
Aradin;"The feds'll be on us any second!"
Zevlor: *hits bong* "Whats going on?"
Aradin: "Feds are on our tail, open the gate Zevlor, Now!"
Zevlor: "You led the feds here? Where's the druid?"
Aradin: "Please theres no time!"
Zevlor: "By the Nine Herbs. Open the gate!
Aradin: "Shit. Form a drum circle!"

S
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
Weak. The only funny line is "*hits bong* "Whats going on?"" Although im happy you found your little safe niche.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Then change the goblins to the police, and have them trying to move the druids on from their illegal occupation.

Aradin: "Open the Bloody gate!"
Kanon: "No entry without a tie dye shirt. Zevlor's orders."
Aradin;"The feds'll be on us any second!"
Zevlor: *hits bong* "Whats going on?"
Aradin: "Feds are on our tail, open the gate Zevlor, Now!"
Zevlor: "You led the feds here? Where's the druid?"
Aradin: "Please theres no time!"
Zevlor: "By the Nine Herbs. Open the gate!
Aradin: "Shit. Form a drum circle!"

You got me on the drum circle line.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Yeah,
it's one of this moment you see big failure.

Worst was for me after I talked to Halsin to free him, I loot some stuff on the dead goblins and....
HALSIN ACCUSED ME OF STEALING !
ho and, yeah, of course, he attacked me
Big LoL for this absurd moment. But... I guess it's "subjective" !
Totally legit that the guy you saved and who just asked you to kill all the goblins attacks you cause you take a spoon on a dead goblin corpse ! xD

It is absolutely not subjectives to say that
1) some dialogues lack of options
2) some situations are absurd.

For the 1), example :
I found the hideout of the kids in the groove. I go in, there are one kid alone, I talked to him. He talk to me like shit and I had no option to intimidate him, forced him to talk, explain what's hanpenning here. No, nothing. I just had to listen him give me is "you search for it!"
There is nothing subjectives here. It's one of this moment which lacks options.

For the 2, same example :
the kids finally said "guys we leave !" even if... HE IS ALONE. Then I just look at him taking some stuff and.... not moving anymore.
ABSURD.

Could give a lot of examples.

Wyll yelling at me for fighting goblins without him even if we actually fights them together...
Shadowheart disapproving when I said "hmmm.. I know lot of people doesn't like your cult".
Gale and Astarion who want to absolutely randomly bang me. Still didn't get why.
The girl who wants to shoot the imprisoned goblins, his dialogue have really few options.
Khaga poor dialogue's choices.
this imprisoned goblins swearing about the other goblins when they are all dead.
etc.

Lots of dialogues are not DAT diversified and sometimes ends in very "unexpected" ways.

Don't get me wrong, there is some good things in the writing but it's really really far from perfect.

And if you can't handle some criticism about the writing, so you're the one who are subjective about them here.

I don't know what you expect, it is logical that there will be far fewer dialogue options available due to full voice acting than if the game did not have it.
The game currently has a lot of bugs with dialogue triggers, but that's one thing they'll almost certainly fix.
As for theft, in virtually every game an item has two possible states: either it belongs to someone or not, which sometimes causes problems.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 15/11/20 05:40 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
there should be cannabis plants growing in the grove and a few VW camper vans scattered around. More headbands, bellbottoms and tie dye shirts also.

+1

Rhobar121, you ask me what I expected ?

A good written game obviously. ^^

Guess I'm a little demanding. My bad.

I GET the idea about the full voice acting but it really get on my nerves to read people used this to justify the bad writing.

Justifying the lack of dialogue's options by the full voice acting just show how much Larian miss the points about an RPG like this one should be.
Larian developpers and Larian defenders : "yeah there is only "yes" or "no" as dialogue's options but... you know... full voice acting. So cool".
Nop.
Good and complete writing is cool. Full voice acting is just nice, cool but far from the point of a RPG.

Justifying a bad writing design, worst, a writing design worse than his predecessor by an expensive and skin-deep addition to the audio is lame. terrific. sad.

Futur Larian developpers : "Ok guys, we are going to do BG4 and it's gonna be amazing cause you will be able to smell your fart with different odor depending of what food you'll eat ! SO COOL ! Ho but, remember, the game will last 30mn cause... you know... full farts acting... So cool."

So, I GET the fact that full voice acting is costly but I really don't get how it can be a justification for a bad writing design, especially in an RPG, especially here.

:-/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard