Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Oct 2020
R
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
R
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
No you didn’t. First, Josh said that the FIRST levels of DnD are boring because of the d20. That’s what he said. He said that advantage is a good way to fix that? No. See how you shape your arguments to fit your point of view? See how I don’t? Second: he speaks for himself as everyone does. He don’t speak for the others. His opinion is not an argument. Can you see the difference between that words?
Third: Larian didn’t release whole the game, so you don’t have a clue on what’s going to happen with the resting system. Me neither. Nobody does. Swen maybe will know in some months. Do you have a crystal ball?

My whole point regarding you is that you carry a lot of affirmative arguments where you carry no clear evidence at all.


Your opinion that misses are fun is not worth more than mine. If you think I should provide evidence to prove my thesis, maybe you should do the same.
You say that players don't mind missing, but it doesn't agree with the opinions of people who design games professionally for years. At the same time, you have not written any argument as to why you disagree with it.
If the opinion of a longtime game designer is not important, why should anyone care about the opinion of a few people on forums?
After all, it's all just opinions.

As for Josh's opinion, I meant this:

Q: I'd wager that you're underestimating the fun of dodging and missing. It doesn't need to be as prominent as it was in Baldur's Gate-era missfests, but people like making characters that dodge all incoming damage. Also, the risk of doing no damage is fun.

I think you're overestimating the fun of dodging and missing. I don't think most players find it particularly enjoyable, and it's exacerbated/amplified in games like the new XCOM where players are constantly in stunned disbelief at the RNG.


If so then to Larian did not release whole the game, so you do not have a clue on what is going to happen with the combat. Do you see the absurdity of this argument?
What are we to relate to other than the current state of the game?
If none of the previous D&D games had a limited rest (in times when games were more niche) and even PoE2 gave up such mechanics, what is the chance that suddenly Larian decides to go against the tide and add something that will be unpopular among a large number of players.



Dear god. I guess I understand now why you can’t understand the arguments of the people who are against the advantage system. You suffer from a “lack of logical thinking problem”.

Let me explain what I’m talking:

I like to miss more / you like to miss less. That’s our opinion.

You say that people like to miss less. I say that you can’t speak for the others.

That’s where you logic problem fails. You are comparing your attitude to mine. I’m just saying that you can’t speak for the others.

No one is saying that your opinion don’t worth anything. On the contrary. I think it’s damn good to see disagreement in this world. This is the source of all critical thinking and there’s where new solutions flourishes.

Now, you are not speaking YOUR opinions. You claim that you understand what the majority thinks. I’m not arrogant to think I know what the majority thinks.

I hate advantage system. You might like it. We don’t know about the others. Deal with that for god sake.




I'd better finish this discussion, there is no point in carrying it on if all you doing is offend people you don't agree.
It would be appropriate to at least refer to the post I wrote, but I think I am demanding too much.

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
0.1 I don't see suggestions here.
0.2* What about implementing something like if you miss 3 times in a row the gods give your target truestrike.
1.1 There should also be a delay action so you can take your action at the end of the round after your companions have acted.
1.2 I think since shove and throw are offensive, they should be actions. Sneak attack - agree, but only once per round.
1.3 Agree
2.1 Don't care
2.2 Agree
3.1* I'd just remove it.
3.2* Ok
3.3 If you hold shift and move your mouse around the cursor shows the lighting conditions of that point as full, partial, or none. But what gives light and how much is very confusing.
3.4 I have never understood why prone gives disadvantage to ranged. They aren't moving anymore.
4* I don't think the statement that nearly everyone agrees that surfaces have a place in BG. I have seen numerous people say no.
4.1* With this logic, why wouldn't I always use it as an AoE?
4.2* Agree
4.3* I say remove it and add an option for fire potions to coat weapon like poison.
5.1 See 0.2 and while I love cut scenes, I dont like the D20 ones now and would HATE having a miss one.
5.2 Good idea, bad implementation. Just make a character expression or something.
5.3 Combat with lots of creatures is already painfully slow. I would hate this.
6.1* Agree, just realize some won't
6.2 I think we need more info, not less. Agree on cover and mobs should use it too.

PS the *'s are items that are included in my suggested options: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=733462#Post733462

Last edited by RumRunner151; 14/11/20 11:10 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
1. What's wrong with accessing other companions' inventory? The only thing that changes is that you don't have to waste time dividing items between
characters and also to constantly transfer items from character to character because your main character no longer has a capacity.
This is a typical quality of life change that literally doesn't spoil the game.

But there should be a distance limit right? Like within 3m you can share, but if your 30m away and at a different elevation it makes no sense.


Originally Posted by Rhobar121
4. Adding more cutscenes to a fight is a very bad idea and all it does is extend the fights.
These things are fun for the first few hours, but then they quickly get bored and waste your time.

Could not agree more.


Originally Posted by Rhobar121
What is the point of such restrictions? What does this add to the game apart from being another annoying and pointless mechanic?
Why force players to over-manage their inventory.
Already, you often have to transfer items from character to character because they are running out of load capacity.

This is a game, putting restrictions just because they are realistic without looking at how they negatively affect the game is silly.

Then why not have one common inventory, which I woudnt be opposed to even though its unusual?

Joined: Oct 2020
R
stranger
Offline
stranger
R
Joined: Oct 2020
Everything you said in the bonus action section other than the rogue actions and possibly dipping is an action, not a bonus action. Trying to make them bonus actions ruins the action economy and balance of the game.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I really think it's easier to talk if we consider combats "as a whole" instead of talking about each individual problematics.

I'd like to say that this thread won't compile every "nuance" (I.E "I'd like climbing cost movement or I'd like climbing to be considered as a difficult terrain", or "Jump should cost movement or remain a bonus action").
I try to stay as objective as possible but of course if you think about issues leading you to a specific suggestion, share with us.

This thread was made for us to think all together about the best compromise between both worlds : D&D and Larian's mechanic...Because that's what Baldur's Gate 3 is.


0.2 The D20


As Topgoon suggest, it could probably be better to "cheat the dices" to reduce our ennemies AC instead of giving us all a bonus.
Not sure what could be the effect on the general balance of those suggestions.
I'll add this as another possible line of approach to solve the problematic.

Rumrunner suggest another approach : an "auto advantage" after a few miss.
I'd suggest something else : a % to hit increased a bit each time you miss (maybe +1). That's not really something I like, but it could make sense.
Both those are probably harder to implement, but I'll talk about it in the first post.

1.1 Actions + 1.2 Bonus action

A few of you react about the changes I made to "prone" and shove.

In D&D, shove is an action and not a bonus action but Larian want us to have "more" bonus action. I guess shove as a bonus action make sense to play with verticality and, it this suggestion's context as another "close combat technique" (shove to prone).
On the other hand I tried to toned down the effect of "prone", because it could be very powerfull to have an advantage related to a usual action bonus.
But there is malus to range attack in D&D... so I admit that I don't know what to think about it.

Shove as a bonus action looks fine, but if so... Shouldn't they toned down the effect of prone ? Or should it really be an action, meaning you won't be able to attack your target this turn ?

About Throw, I'll write them in "action" instead of bonus action. That's how it actually work and it's fine. That was more a mistake than a suggestion.

About Help, Changeling4's suggestion make sense but a few comments...
As you said, the 1hp cycle is an issue that's very boring. That's why I suggest an option to "give a potion to an ally". You use it as an action, and our companion can continue the combats... with more than 1 HP.
On the other hand, help as a bonus action to help in combats make sense to me. Like shove, it's another thing we can choose in combats as a bonus action. Not sure a lot of player would use it as an action.
But if that's a bonus action instead of an action... I guess it has to be toned down... What do you think about it ?

About changing our weapons as bonus action or free action;, the question is still open. Any thoughts ?

3.1 Backstab

I think Larian want to offer us more possibilities in combats with backstab to play with our % to hit.
The "concept" make sense to me, but it obviously can't be so powerfull and grants an easy advantage. It's also very a problem with the AI that won'tbe able to think much about "the best way to backstab".

It looks a few don't agree with my attempt. I guess a +2 (or +3, or ...) bonus for backstab is probably better.
I'll add this as "the main" possible approach of the game.

On the other hand, a few suggest that this was deleted... So 'ill add something about it.

3.3 Light

It looks very confusing for everyone so I guess we'll have to wait to go deeper.

4. Surfaces

I'll edit about AoE spells. I was talking about it but we don't have any clues what Larian plan for them.
Maybe AoE shouldn't always create surfaces. That was kind of "logical" to me but maybe it was a mistake to talk about that. I really don't know D&D's spells enough and we can't really test things in the game.

4.1 Cantrip

About cantrip, to answer Rumrunner, with tthat logic your choices would be :
- tagret a creature : 1D10 damages OR
- target the ground : (something like) 1D6 surfaces damages + burning if the target miss its saving throw / 50% of 1D6 damages and no burning if he suceed. Maybe the AoE could be a little bit increased so this is a relevant opporunities to damage a few target while target a creature could be more powerful and kill more efficiently.

4.3 Dipping

Maybe no more surfaces potions and only potions to coat weapons ? That could be good but I'm not sure Larian would enjoy removing such a feature.

5 Visual Improvement

I note that many of you are against "more cutscene". I don't know yet HOW, but I'll edit these points.
I'll also add something like " More verbiage for missing would be good. Wielding a melee weapon and being missed by a melee attack will occasionally replace the miss with a "parry". Wearing no armour, light armour or medium armour will pop an occasional "dodge". Wearing heaving armour or wielding a shield will sometimes pop a "block". More variety in miss animations would be nice (e.g raising your shield".
This could work in combinations of specific animations instead of "cutscenes".

6.1 Must Have

- We should be able to choose who our spells affect (i.e choose who are the targets of bless or the targets of sleep)
As Topgoon noticed, I give a very bad exemple because you cannot choose who's going to fall asleep in D&D. That's how it work in BG3; and that's fine.
I'll correct this.

- In combat, don’t allow us to access to other’s companions inventory
I'll nuance that, because it's a fact : some players don't like this, other like shared inventory, and other suggest being able to pick in other's inventory but with a range limit.
I guess everything make sense and is a matter of opinion.


I repeat but please, feel free to correct what I said, or to insist on thing and to explain WHY what you suggest is absolutely necessary.
This topic is a community topic.

Just keep in mind that Larian has a vision. We don't know much about it but we have to think about it.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 15/11/20 10:49 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Maximuuus, just wanted to say thanks for doing this thread, while i dont agree with all of the suggestions some are good and having everything in one place makes it much easier to address as a whole rather than individually.

Last edited by jayn23; 15/11/20 01:14 PM.
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by jayn23
Maximuuus, just wanted to say thanks for doing this thread, while i dont agree with all of the suggestions some are good and having everything in one place makes it much easier to address as a whole rather than individually.


Feel free to add your comments on things you disagree Jayn.
I'd love to see this thread as a "community workgroup".

I tried to compile the main feedbacks and suggestions as much as possible to provides a framework around which to discuss, but I had to add some concrete elements from my own reflections...
And maybe I'm wrong, or maybe my ideas are not the best for a reason or another.

I am only one point of view, and having the point of view of others will allow us to find the best possible compromise between the different expectations of the community.

Reasonable expectations of reasonable people can often match, and I'm glad to see that when you look at the whole, I can agree with people I didn't think I could smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 15/11/20 03:09 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
I like the disengage and hide as they are. I like backstab and high ground as they are.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I like the disengage and hide as they are. I like backstab and high ground as they are.


how do you feel about the fact that this makes a lot of mechanics obsolete? (see the quote in 0.1 and the quote in 3.4)
I mean that it is so easy to have advantages that the extra effort required by the many other possibilities makes them practically obsolete.

About disengage as a bonus action, because according to your feedback that's what you mean : why should ennemies have AOO if we all can disengage as a bonus action ? (to backstab, see above... but also to flee)
Should Larian remove ennemies AOO ?

About hide as a bonus action I have to admit that I talked about it because I read A LOT of feedback saying that hide should only be a bonus action for rogue at lvl 2 (D&D). I didn',t myself played a lot with hide.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 15/11/20 04:53 PM.
Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
0.2 The D20
I'm against a visible increase in chance to hit after misses. That will add confusion and imo feel cheap.
I think a more reasonable option is to have psuedo-randomness: the game remembers what your last 5(or 10 or 19) rolls were, and prevents you from rolling those values again. This will have a similar effect of ensuring hits after a few misses, but still allow for the the randomness of a d20.

I'm in favor of reducing enemy AC&STs for lower difficulty levels. Flat -6 for story, -4 for easy, -2 for normal, no modifier for hard, +2 for tactician (or something like that). Reducing both of these values is important for preserving the balance between attack vs ST spells, and will prevent the HP bloat that could come with increasing HP instead.

4.1 Cantrips
One of the major points about why cantrips shouldn't create surfaces is that players shouldn't get free damage (to preserve the strength of concentration). I suggest
-target an enemy for 1d10 fire damage (no burning)
-target a small surface area to set it on fire, enemies get STs to not catch on fire (1d6 damage for 2 turns). IMPORTANTLY, there is no automatic damage. The benefits of this option are a) you can possibly set fire to multiple enemies b)battlefield control c)possible damage over time

6.1 Must Haves
I strongly disagree with limiting access to others' inventories. In a game where inventory management is already a pain, I don't want to increase the amount of it I'll have to do.
IF we got a factor of 10x less consumables, then I'd be okay with limiting inventory access. But as it stands, I don't want to have to manage the dozens of scrolls, food, potions, arrows, in addition to all the useless junk inventory that comes with Larian games.
Shared inventory is also fine.

The rest of your list I agree with or don't have strong feelings. Keep up the good work of compiling and revising it.

Joined: May 2014
D
member
Offline
member
D
Joined: May 2014
Very nice summary with detailed explanations, thank you.

Joined: Nov 2020
M
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
M
Joined: Nov 2020
Review of original post and my list of suggestions to include:

0.2) include difficulties (single most powerful feature to please them all):
story +8, easy +4, normal +2, hard +0 (untested values) unconditionally to all d20 rolls or spell DCs for player characters; this will make it very hard to casual players to miss, e.g. AC15 creature in story mode would not be hit only on Nat 1 (95% hit chance without advantage; 99.75% with), in easy mode on 1-5 (75% w/o adv.; 93.75% with)
Using these values globally has an effect on attacks, which Larian already tried to change, but also save based spells (most of spells) and dialogs
# the above expands on your first point in 0.2 quite a bit with some numbers that on the surface look like might work well for both casual players (story / easy) and D&D fans (hard)
1.2)
# Shove ideally would be an attack and not a (bonus) action; 5th level Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Monk & Ranger get extra attacks, so they should be able to shove two creatures or try to shove one creature twice
# Noticed a bug: “You make a strength (Athletics) or dexterity (Acrobatics)” can only use strength (Athletics) and I think it’s how Larian implements it. Can use dexterity only when defending (i.e. you use force to shove, but you can either use force to cancel the effect or try to avoid it with dex). I would also include “The target must be no more than one size larger than you” to shoving, because it’s hard for me to imagine 30lb Halfling to be able to push 600lb Ogre.
# Help as bonus action or reaction falls into the same problems as described by Isaac in 0.1) (free Advantage that kills many skills and abilities that cost full action and/or resources). For 3 minutes explanation of cool effect of Help as an action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vmc3ka7CsM
2.1) Climbing in D&D normally costs twice as much as walking, so if you want to climb 30ft ladder, you have to use two turns (or Dash). Stopping in the middle of the ladder if you have no more movement should be a thing (potentialy not being able to use action like attack with a bow). There are special skills that make climbing faster, e.g. lvl 3 Rogue Thief: "you gain the ability to climb faster than normal; climbing no longer costs you extra movement”.
3.3) Yes, light seems buggy.
3.4)
# Help gives advantage, so doesn’t stack with other things that give advantage
# Attacking prone target (from 5ft distance) gives advantage, so doesn’t stack… (see my 0.2) suggestion)
5.1) This looks very good: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=702825#Post702825
6.2)
# Remove monetary cost of writing spells into book (cost is a thing in D&D, but I feel it doesn’t make sense with money devaluated by access to too many magical items and being able to steal thousands easily)
# Don’t add monetary cost to spells (e.g. Familiar), unless the cost is very big that it would matter (same reason as above)

Well done on collecting feedback. Keep it coming!

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
0.2 The D20
I'm against a visible increase in chance to hit after misses. That will add confusion and imo feel cheap.
I think a more reasonable option is to have psuedo-randomness: the game remembers what your last 5(or 10 or 19) rolls were, and prevents you from rolling those values again. This will have a similar effect of ensuring hits after a few misses, but still allow for the the randomness of a d20.

I'm in favor of reducing enemy AC&STs for lower difficulty levels. Flat -6 for story, -4 for easy, -2 for normal, no modifier for hard, +2 for tactician (or something like that). Reducing both of these values is important for preserving the balance between attack vs ST spells, and will prevent the HP bloat that could come with increasing HP instead.

4.1 Cantrips
One of the major points about why cantrips shouldn't create surfaces is that players shouldn't get free damage (to preserve the strength of concentration). I suggest
-target an enemy for 1d10 fire damage (no burning)
-target a small surface area to set it on fire, enemies get STs to not catch on fire (1d6 damage for 2 turns). IMPORTANTLY, there is no automatic damage. The benefits of this option are a) you can possibly set fire to multiple enemies b)battlefield control c)possible damage over time

6.1 Must Haves
I strongly disagree with limiting access to others' inventories. In a game where inventory management is already a pain, I don't want to increase the amount of it I'll have to do.
IF we got a factor of 10x less consumables, then I'd be okay with limiting inventory access. But as it stands, I don't want to have to manage the dozens of scrolls, food, potions, arrows, in addition to all the useless junk inventory that comes with Larian games.
Shared inventory is also fine.

The rest of your list I agree with or don't have strong feelings. Keep up the good work of compiling and revising it.


i'll edit first post to add this and/ar adapt it with your suggestions.

Joined: Nov 2020
M
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Nov 2020
What i would like to get at the current state of the Game is an Option to change the color and maybe even look of the Gear, what i mean is Change the Color of the Armor u are wearing so it suits ur personal Taste a bit more, as i am not sure if there are different armor options planed after all. Some of the Tieflings for example has very nice looking Armor Styles.
So while playing with others in the Future i would like to see different Styles and Colors for the Armor.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by mg666
Review of original post and my list of suggestions to include:
1.2)
# Shove ideally would be an attack and not a (bonus) action; 5th level Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Monk & Ranger get extra attacks, so they should be able to shove two creatures or try to shove one creature twice
# Noticed a bug: “You make a strength (Athletics) or dexterity (Acrobatics)” can only use strength (Athletics) and I think it’s how Larian implements it. Can use dexterity only when defending (i.e. you use force to shove, but you can either use force to cancel the effect or try to avoid it with dex). I would also include “The target must be no more than one size larger than you” to shoving, because it’s hard for me to imagine 30lb Halfling to be able to push 600lb Ogre.


i'll edit about ennemie's size because you're totally right.
About shove as an action I don't really know... I guess it's part of larian's vision to offer us "more" things to do.
Personnaly I don't find this necessary but i'm not sure it breaks anything as a bonus action (everyone is able to shove, but your melee classes won't be able to do it more than once).

Originally Posted by mg666

# Help as bonus action or reaction falls into the same problems as described by Isaac in 0.1) (free Advantage that kills many skills and abilities that cost full action and/or resources). For 3 minutes explanation of cool effect of Help as an action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vmc3ka7CsM


About Help I'm not sure it falls into the same problems.
As you notice I imagine this as a bonus action, still to fit to Larian's vision that find we don't have enough things to do in D&D.
According to me it's possible to have Help as a bonus action, but of course not as an advantage because it would exactly fall in the backstab/high ground problem.

I'm not against such bonus but if there are reasonnable.
According to me we shouldn't be able to have +5 (or advantage) such easily with a bonus action, but why not a +2 or +3 ?

Originally Posted by mg666

2.1) Climbing in D&D normally costs twice as much as walking, so if you want to climb 30ft ladder, you have to use two turns (or Dash). Stopping in the middle of the ladder if you have no more movement should be a thing (potentialy not being able to use action like attack with a bow). There are special skills that make climbing faster, e.g. lvl 3 Rogue Thief: "you gain the ability to climb faster than normal; climbing no longer costs you extra movement”.


This could be cool but I really think it would be hard to implement. How to show players they're not going to be able to climb until the top of the ladder ?
I think a : "you can" or "you can't" climb is easier, but i'm not a game dev.

Originally Posted by mg666

5.1) This looks very good: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=702825#Post702825
6.2)
# Remove monetary cost of writing spells into book (cost is a thing in D&D, but I feel it doesn’t make sense with money devaluated by access to too many magical items and being able to steal thousands easily)
# Don’t add monetary cost to spells (e.g. Familiar), unless the cost is very big that it would matter (same reason as above)


I'll edit and add something about this.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Maahr Krell
What i would like to get at the current state of the Game is an Option to change the color and maybe even look of the Gear, what i mean is Change the Color of the Armor u are wearing so it suits ur personal Taste a bit more, as i am not sure if there are different armor options planed after all. Some of the Tieflings for example has very nice looking Armor Styles.
So while playing with others in the Future i would like to see different Styles and Colors for the Armor.


That's a great suggestion I already wrote on another list (not a public one).
I'll talk with the moderation, maybe it could be usefull to have a huge list that is not ONLY about combats.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 17/11/20 10:43 AM.
Joined: Nov 2020
M
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
M
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by mg666
Review of original post and my list of suggestions to include:
1.2)
# Shove ideally would be an attack and not a (bonus) action; 5th level Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Monk & Ranger get extra attacks, so they should be able to shove two creatures or try to shove one creature twice
# Noticed a bug: “You make a strength (Athletics) or dexterity (Acrobatics)” can only use strength (Athletics) and I think it’s how Larian implements it. Can use dexterity only when defending (i.e. you use force to shove, but you can either use force to cancel the effect or try to avoid it with dex). I would also include “The target must be no more than one size larger than you” to shoving, because it’s hard for me to imagine 30lb Halfling to be able to push 600lb Ogre.


i'll edit about ennemie's size because you're totally right.
About shove as an action I don't really know... I guess it's part of larian's vision to offer us "more" things to do.
Personnaly I don't find this necessary but i'm not sure it breaks anything as a bonus action (everyone is able to shove, but your melee classes won't be able to do it more than once).

Originally Posted by mg666

# Help as bonus action or reaction falls into the same problems as described by Isaac in 0.1) (free Advantage that kills many skills and abilities that cost full action and/or resources). For 3 minutes explanation of cool effect of Help as an action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vmc3ka7CsM


About Help I'm not sure it falls into the same problems.
As you notice I imagine this as a bonus action, still to fit to Larian's vision that find we don't have enough things to do in D&D.
According to me it's possible to have Help as a bonus action, but of course not as an advantage because it would exactly fall in the backstab/high ground problem.

I'm not against such bonus but if there are reasonnable.
According to me we shouldn't be able to have +5 (or advantage) such easily with a bonus action, but why not a +2 or +3 ?



By itself it doesn't break anything to give a small bonus, but when you have free +2 bonus from help, +2 bonus from height and +2 bonus from something else, which all stack, this is already much better than advantage, which is on average +5, but can sometimes be +0, leading to miss. +6 "never" misses. Difficulty levels are simpler for casual players to understand and much easier to implement than adding small bonuses to many different things. (This is where we fight for people who don't like missing, not miss as much, right?)
Also (a minor detail) there is a Rogue Mastermind subclass, which gets Help as bonus action at level 3. Subclasses are very easy to implement, they give only a few bonuses, so bonus Help for everyone makes this one less useful.
Larian's vision might be distorted by many things right now, e.g. we only get max 4 lvl and there are a lot of things to do later; battle feeling slow due to AI thinking (I did 1 thing and now I have to wait a few minutes) and maybe player having hard time deciding which one thing to do during their turn (UI not focused on helping them, but this is a different topic); or BG3 lvl 1 Wizard having many things to do, because you can currently rest after every battle vs BG3 lvl 1 Fighter, who clicks on enemies or D&D lvl 1 Wizard, who throws Fire Bolt every turn, because they either already cast Sleep and Magic Missle in previous battle or wisely wait for a tougher battle to come
I thought Larian's vision was "Gather your party" (or maybe they changed to "It's party time" currently displayed on baldursgate3.game). No single (especially low level) character should feel strong. It's the party working together that makes them strong. Solutions might be simpler than trying to change balance. Help might be a cool animation that distracts NPC until Lae'zel delivers the killing blow.
Like in sports, if you merely (as your full action) pass the ball to an attacker for them to score a goal, is it nothing?

D&D is most of the time about doing one thing during one turn, everything else is a bonus, special situation action... and I have absolutely no objections is Larian wants to abandon D&D and give everybody two or more actions every turn. How they try to do it now doesn't seem right. They give abilities that were designed for certain class or subclass to everybody for free. Strong fighters can jump in, shove enemy to the ground and use this advantage to deal a critical strike. Rogues can strike unnoticed and hide before enemy can strike back. Mages can... FIREBALL! (for it's the only thing that they shall do) or die a horrible death when surrounded by 3 goblins.
Let's make battles epic by giving every class distinct features and not by giving everybody same (quite boring by themselves) actions that are supposed to make certain classes shine.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by mg666

2.1) Climbing in D&D normally costs twice as much as walking, so if you want to climb 30ft ladder, you have to use two turns (or Dash). Stopping in the middle of the ladder if you have no more movement should be a thing (potentialy not being able to use action like attack with a bow). There are special skills that make climbing faster, e.g. lvl 3 Rogue Thief: "you gain the ability to climb faster than normal; climbing no longer costs you extra movement”.


This could be cool but I really think it would be hard to implement. How to show players they're not going to be able to climb until the top of the ladder ?
I think a : "you can" or "you can't" climb is easier, but i'm not a game dev.


I like to say in programming nothing is impossible. Wouldn't it be also cool if Imp familiar could really fly, 15ft above the ground, away from enemy melee attacks and not merely use "jump" spell?

Last edited by mg666; 17/11/20 12:39 PM.
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
I think there are 2 things to consider :

1) People don't like to miss. Something has to be done, and the AC/ST reduction is probably the easiest way to solve this.
According to me this is not really a problem because there are many easy solutions.
Not sure it has to be the only things to determine the difficulty levels, but that could be a part of it, or an option, or something like that.

2) Larian want us to have an action and a bonus action at each turn. I really don't see them remove this because they talked a lot about it and because I think lots of players like that. Being able to do more things during our turn is cool, even if RAW would be good to me.

About the second point, they picked in D&D's "usual combats actions" to create their new bonus actions and I don't think it's a bad idea (except for disengage and maybe for hide).

With that in mind I tried to pick more D&D actions and toned them down because they would become bonus action.
According to me in a strategy game, it could be fine to have more or less options to increase our % to hit and it could also be cool if you could "stack" them...
That's what good players will try to do and how players would be able to increase their combat skills : playing, trying, using differents synergies and strategies to optimize their damages and/or their % to hit.

I really think it could increase a lot the depths of combats AND give us more things to do and more way to deal with combats.
But obviously, it has to have consequences and it has to be less efficient than advantages.

That's what I tried to do after reading many feedback/suggestion.

If someone use Help and your archer is higher, the archer has +4 to attack rolls.
If someone use Help and you backtab your ennemy, you have +4 to your attack rolls.
If someone shove it's opponent, higher archers have +0 while you have +2, or +4 if you shove, move and bacstab.

Maybe the value could be reduced so you have maximum +2 or +3 (+ an advantage if you're able to have one ?)
There's probably things I didn't think about, and there are also many things I don't know about D&D.

But then what to do ?

Quote
D&D is most of the time about doing one thing during one turn, everything else is a bonus, special situation action... and I have absolutely no objections is Larian wants to abandon D&D and give everybody two or more actions every turn. How they try to do it now doesn't seem right.


What would you suggest ? RAW but with 2 actions per turn for eveyone ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 17/11/20 10:15 PM.
Joined: Nov 2020
M
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
M
Joined: Nov 2020
Not sure we should ask questions like that in this thread, but to answer with another question: what's the difference between 2 turns with 1 action per turn compared to 1 turn with 2 actions?

I thought you were browsing through other threads, looking for combat related stuff and integrating what majority thinks would be good.

For me personally the most important thing about battles is that they are varied and always challenging (on hard difficulty level). It would be lovely if it was close to true D&D (while still ignoring a lot of rules from D&D like for example limited ability to cast spells with no free hand, or spell components, or changing weapons in the middle of the fight, because these rules - admittedly quite fun to work with in tabletop - would not make the game better), not only because that's what I know & like, but also because it could be used as an introduction tool to tabletop. If it's a different system, maybe even better.

Larian's basic understanding on what turn is seems incorrect. To me it's an abstract representation on what happens in real time. For example in D&D during your turn other characters do stuff like attacks of oportunity, reactions and performing readied action, but that's not everything. Taking backstabbing as an example: when you move around (or jump through /rolling my eyes/) enemy, they are not frozen in time. They either move to face you all the time (default D&D rules: everybody is aware of everything happening around them - simple but effective), they use this opportunity to attack before you move out of their sight (optional facing rules that probably not many people use, and would be hard to explain in BG3 if implemented fully, e.g. why is my AC lower by 2 when I'm backstabbed while holding shield?) or they might get flanked if two of your characters are on the opposite side (most often used optional rule, but bashed by many, because it gives advantage too easily).

D&D or not, combat in BG3 has currently a lot of problems. In current state of the game, there are hundreds if not thousands little bugs not even related to what system is used. Here is a copy-paste of Redzone9000's rant on discord from a couple of hours ago:

Quote
in my opinion .. the biggest problem right now is how the tactical combat is playing out
enemies seem to get attack of opportunities on us when they should NOT have, it happens when you literally just ran up to attack and enemy sometimes too, and the worst part about this is that your character started to swing their weapon but enemies reaction CANCELLED your attack animation so your character never even got their attack off, but the game still used up your Action for that turn
and i think i know what's causing it too
there's an invisible "grid" that we're playing on
whenever your character tries to attack enemies, your character wants to MOVE before they attack a lot of times when they don't even need to move - the same thing happens when you try to loot boxes, your character decides they want to move and stand in a different position before they loot - for no apparent reason - i think they're trying to line up with the invisible grid
same thing happens when you run up to enemies and combat happens, your character often turns their BACK on enemies for no apparent reason right when combat starts, giving them advantage on you if they run up and melee
your character was trying to line up to the invisible grid
whenever you try to move your character they always want to move along this invisible grid, and this is fine, but a lot of times you try to attack, or jump, and your stupid character wants to MOVE before doing it when they shouldn't, they're in a perfectly fine position to jump or use an attack but they insist on moving before they do it, which gives enemies an attack of opportunity
and even when your character doesn't appear to need to move before doing it, enemies STILL often get an opportunity attack on you for no apparent reason AND it takes away your character's action for that turn because of animation cancelling.
honestly i'd rather have grid squares with simplified movement and positioning instead, that WORKS RIGHT instead of the current system with it's flaws
AOE's from spells like grease, thunderwave etc, don't work how they should.
it's supposed to be an omnidirectional pushback in a 15' cube originating from you.
instead, it's only 1 direction and it isn't a "wall" instead it's more like a cleave attack (if enemies are even SLIGHTLY above or below you, they won't get hit by the AoE)
the same issue with grease or any other ground effect.. if you cast it on an area of steps - the grease will only appear on ONE step - none of the steps that are slightly above or slightly below the casted location will have any grease on them
so areas with uneven ground or any steps at all, grease doesn't work properly not will any other ground effect or aoe effect, they're all like 2d surface effects
many times, when you want to try to use thunderwave to push enemies, it'll be on some steps - when like 1 enemy is right in front of you on the same step, another enemy is right behind him on the next step down (but the spell should totally hit him and it doesn't, it only hits the one on the same "plane" as you)
and this is just one of the MANY thing that make warlock and wiz really inferior to fighters rogues and rangers right now
i've put all of this in feedback, but not all of it in bug reports
the thing is, feedback isn't for reporting bugs, and the bug report system they use is a pain in the ass so no i only report major bugs
also, there's no way the developers aren't aware of these issues
i'm 100% they know about them, whether they decide to put the work in to polish them up is another question, they might be more focused on other bugs or content
the only class i play anymore is rogue btw
every other class pales in comparison in current bg3 version
m4joraYesterday at 1:50 PM
Dont assume they test all kind of random stuff. Im quite sure there is a lot of things they are not aware of.
I used grease a lot for example. Just not on stairs, so i had no idea it was like that. So maybe it s the same for the testing team
Redzone9000Yesterday at 1:50 PM
the fact that hunter's mark and hex don't stack is also a giant oversight
if you have two players using hex on same enemy, the original hex gets removed, concentration broken, and spell slot lost (no re-apply)
same happens with hunter's mark
so in multiplayer, 2 players using warlock (or like, cleric who grabbed warlock initiate at lvl 4 for some extra damage), or 2 players using ranger's doesn't really work
hex and hunter's mark should be stackable if multiple players use them on same enemy
(only the caster of hex/hunter's mark should do bonus damage against that target, but they should both be able to apply their hex or hunter's mark to the same enemy so that they both can do the damage they're supposed to be able to deal to the target)
also, the visibility of hex could be improved. hunter's mark puts a nice big red floaty orb above them so it's easy to see which target has your hunter's mark.. hex on the other hand could use a similar floating icon so that it's easier for warlock to track which enemy they hexed.. it'd also be nice if players had an option to customize what their hex / hunter's mark looks like when it's above enemies head too, so that multiple warlocks or multiple rangers' could have an easier time tracking which enemy they've got the debuff on
for this reason, when i play multiplayer sessions, i try to discourage players from using 2 rangers or 2 warlocks


The above is only a small potion of what we probably might agree are pure bugs.

Last edited by mg666; 19/11/20 12:49 AM.
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by mg666

I thought you were browsing through other threads, looking for combat related stuff and integrating what majority thinks would be good.


That's what I did, but I tried to compile this into something that should work.
Here's the list I made a few days ago and that was one of my starting point.



1) DAY / NIGHT CYCLE AND METEO EFFETCS

Feedback
• D/N cycle would increase immersion and consistency of the world.
• D/N cycle would increase the variety of environment
• D/N cycle would increase gameplay possibilities (i.e stealth)

Suggestions
• Dynamic D/N (i.e night is falling while the player’s playing)
• Static D/N (i.e cutscene after a while to show that the night has fall)

2) D&D BALANCE AND EXPERIENCE IN COMBATS

Feedback
• The combats are balanced around many non-D&D mechanics
• The combats are very hard if you “stick” to D&D, very easy if you “cheese” the game
• The balance between classes is not good – some game mechanics smooth the differences between classes while others give the feeling of useless classes (i.e everyone can use magic, everyone can use powerfull action/bonus action, the “tank” role is useless, …)
• The Advantage / Disadvantage system defined every encounter. (i.e King of the hill)
• Combat mechanics are not enough tactical and too much mechanical (i.e jumping to avoid every AOO, higher to get advantage, dip to increase damages, …)
• HP Bloat / AC decrease has many consequences
The balance of the spells is strongly altered
The flow of combat is altered

Suggestions
• Scrolls shouldn’t be usable by anyone (D&D rules)
• Attack of Opportunity should work properly. Jump shoudn’t avoir AOO. Disengage shouldn’t be an action bonus
• Reactions should work like in D&D
• Advantage / Disadvantage shouldn’t be used that much. There are too powerfull and defined combats too much. Something like in exemple a +3 bonus to attack rolls if you’re higher instead of advantage could be better. It’s still a bonus to be higher but it’s not that powerfull.
• It shouldn’t be that easy to backstab. Jump shoudn’t avoid AOO or shouldn’t be possible while engaged.
• Sneak attack should work like in D&D. Maybe it shouldn’t be a specific action. It should auto apply to normal attacks when necessary (In exemple AOO).
• No more HP Bloat / AC reduction. Maybe the difficulty could be balanced around something else (number of enemies, enemies damages,…). This would lead to a more D&D experience and would remove many balance issues.
• Cantrips shouldn’t always create surfaces. There are many AoE spells at higher levels. Maybe they could create surfaces only if they player target the ground and a “normal” D&D attack when we target an enemies => tactical possibilities increased
• Action / Bonus action rework
o Disengage should be a specific action (bonus action for rogue lvl.2)
o Jump shouldn’t be an action like in D&D. It should only be related to speed/movements. It shouldn’t avoid AOO or add an acrobatics checks to avoid them.
o Jump shouldn’t allow us to move further (sometimes we can reach targets for a melee attack we wouldn’t be able to if we only move).
o Ready action should be in the game
o Shove should be 2 bonus actions (shove to push, shove to prone)
o Help should use a potion / scrolls / spells to avoid the conscious/unconscious loops (bonus action for rogue lvl.2)
o Dash should become a bonus action for rogue lvl.2 instead of a new bonus action
o Maybe a new tactical bonus action could be added to improve the too easy backstab mechanic (to use something else than the easy jump/disengage bonus action). In exemple a new bonus action like a “close combat technique” to flip our position with the opponent (with a specific animation).
o Hide should be an action for everyone instead of a bonus action (bonus action for rogue lvl.2)
o Dodge should be in the game
• Dip shouldn’t be that easy. Maybe it shouldn’t be possible in combats (candle + dip). Maybe it should require component (actually immersion breaking)
• Tone Down Enemy 'Special' Attack. Follow the MM for abilities and skills (Usual gnolls can’t attack multi times, minotaurs can't jump that far and prove everyone.…). Less surfaces arrows surfaces, potions surfaces, spells surfaces.

3) CHARACTER CREATION

Feedback
• Not enough variety to custom our characters
• Not very friendly user, especially for newcomers
• Player’s are often named “Tav”

Suggestions
• Add more options to custom our characters (more bodies, size, faces, hairs, scars,,…)
• Add dyes (short references to BG1/2)
• Add custom starting equipment
• Add a portrait builder / Stylized Party Portraits (short reference to BG1/2)
• Add background options for custom characters
• Roll dice option instead of only the point buy mechanics.
• Better tutorial / Show the evolution of the classes for newcomers
• Add at least every PHB races / classes / subclasses
• More logical order in the windows (see I.G).
• Add a name generator
• Don’t give a name to our characters (Tav). Add a message if we forget to gave him one.
• Give us the opportunity to create a full custom party.

4) USER INTERFACE

Feedback
• The UI is not very personal
• The UI is not friendly user
• Lack of information to understand the game

Suggestions
• Give the UI more of a pen and paper feel... more rustic fonts, paper/parchment backgrounds, …
• Improve the character’s sheet (proficiencies, bonuses like fighting style, AC and DD details, warlock’s invocations and effects, …)
• Better minimap
o Option to hide it
o Better understanding of the direction (N/E/S/W)
o Better markers (i.e quest markers)
o Better UI (too intrusive, not enough personal)
• Better map
o Better resolution
o Maybe path shouldn’t be that visible (secret path are obvious + we aren’t able to see the map without “utility layers”)
o Show entrance/exit
o Show maps of other levels (verticality)
o Ability to create custom markers
o …
• Inventory / Equipement UI complicated and not friendly user.
Sometimes we equip he wrong character because we have another character selected.
• Highlighting loot / interaction items (i.e perception check or exploration)
o In exemple players often look for what their perception checks just discover
o Highlight ALL objects
• Improve the “loot” UI. Probably a place holder.
• Trade screen improvement
o Why do we have an option to trade and another barter? It add no value to the game.
o Why can’t we trade with only one character?
o Why can’t we auto sell wares ?
o Why can’t we “select” items and “sell all”? (instead of double clicking on every items)
• UI of the most important menu of the game should be improved. (spells/character sheet/inventory/…)
o These actually looks more like maps filters than important menu. They should have a better place and be more visible on the UI.
• Hotbars are a mess => separate by item type (spells / items / skills / …)
o Separate items by types (spells / items / skills / Action / Bonus action / …)
o Something to do about spell levels not to have hot bar full of the same spells
o Games exemples : Baldur’s gate, Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder, Solasta, …
• Improve inventory for a better/easier management
o Sort button more visible
o Add “bags” or “specific compartments” inside the inventory to auto sort items (i.e a gem bag, scroll bag, food bags, quiver, potions,…)
o Maybe create a shared inventory ?
• Books UI rework
o Better font, better text integration
o Letters / Sheet / Books. Everything is a book when we read them.
• Spells duration in spell description, range, target effect and damage, if it does damage or save… Actually hard to understand both for newcomers and non D&D nerds.
• “Improve UI when you have to select “i.e bestow curse”. We actually have 6 times the same icons. Have to check everything all the time to find the good one.
A specific icon for each abilities could be cool and could be added elsewhere in the game (i.e for checks during dialogs)
• Weapon comparison strange in the trade UI (check IG)
• Improve the journal. Better font, ability to hide completed quests,
• The UI for characters / inventory / equipment feels redundant. This could probably be consolidated.
• Unclear status effects on spells. (“blind = blindness. Blindness =?)
• Better way to show advantages / Disadvantage (see solasta, marker + / - on the cursor when the cursor is on an enemy + popup to explain bonuses/maluses)
• Item descriptions: make item descriptions longer, more immersive and contain a fair chunk of lore, like it was in BG1 and BG2.

5) DIALOGS

Feedback
• Dialogs feels unnatural
• Dialogs could improve gameplay, spells utility and resources management
• Skills could improve party management / party buildings

Suggestions
• We should be able to choose who’s talking during dialogs.
o Everyone should be involved and we should be able to choose who’s using his/her skills and/or the most able person should use the selected skill.
• We should be able to use some spells during dialogs (i.e animal friendship, charm person, friends, …)
• Dice rolls improvement. It’s actually hard to understand how proficiencies / modifiers are important when we’re using skills. It should probably work like in D&D rather than reducing the DD.
• Spacebar shouldn’t choose an answer. It should only skip dialogs.
• Skills checks should appear in the log
• An option to hide dice rolls during dialogs should be implemented. Rolls would only appear in the log and it could auto-reroll if our characters is able to.
• No cinematics for “short/one line” dialogs (a popup with the text is ok).
• Dialogs should appear in the log

6) PARTY SIZE

Feedback
• Lack of variety in parties composition
• Less “usual” classes won’t be used that mush by many players (monk, bards, druids, barbarians,…)
• Many players are fine with 4, many aren’t (+- 55/45 according to polls / survey on reddit and Larian’s forum). Fine with something doesn’t mean they aren’t with more companions.
• Increased party size would increase the replay value (increased party size + more companions increase the possibilities)
• …

Suggestions
• The compromise: party size of 5
• A party of 6 (reference to the old BG) and a share XP system for those who don’t want to manage 6 characters. That way everyone can play how it want to and the “lone wolf” skills aren’t necessary.

7) ITEMS

Feedback
• Items and inventory management are very complicated
• Items looks not enough unique, usefull and rewarding
• It’s very hard to understand what items are usefull and what items are useless
• Loot takes too much time, the exploration / research should be easier
• Many things don’t really feel D&D and FR

Suggestions
• Reduce / Remove (the number of) “misc.” items. They don’t add any value to the game except that it’s sometimes hard to select / choose the usefull items (candles, plates, fork, plates, cup, bones, skulls, …)
• Too many scrolls in such locations (immersion)
• Reduce item types
o Too many food types. Maybe just “rations”?
o Too many misc. to sell… Maybe just gold / jewels / gemstones and common items (weapons, armor, potions,…)?
• Too many containers that are often empty
o Don’t let us open empty containers
o Don’t put so many misc. items in containers
• Items that allow us to use a spell should have a limited number of charges per rest. This would lead to more meaningful choices.
• Special items are often wtf according to D&D / FR and often useless. Many of them fit a very specific use and want to define the gameplay rather than being “better items”. There are too many of them and they do not feel really special.
Exemple :
- If you heal someone, the target has poison damages on his weapons
- If you’re on a surface, you deal more elemental damages of that type of surface
- If you wear that ring, you deal radiant damage to these targets but these others creatures deals you radiant damages
 This is not very D&D / FR
o Add usual magical items (see Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 in exemple)
• Implement identify spells + detect magic
• Nothing really interesting to buy

8) CAMP ACTIVITY

9) REST SYSTEM

10) SURFACES

Feedback
• Surfaces are great but they aren’t part of D&D and shouldn’t be such a part of BG3 (reduction rather than removal). They are actually of part of nearly every combats and altered a lot how D&D works.
• Immersion breaking, it’s not such a component of D&D nor of the reality of the FR.

Suggestion
• Reduce the number of surface items the enemies have (potions, arrows, …)
• Cantrip shouldn’t always create surface. Only AoE spells should.
o Cantrip could be use to create surface if the player target the ground or to deal damages and effects like in D&D if we target an enemy. This could increase the tactical value of the game.
• Reduce the number of barrels and/or less “obvious” barrels (in enemies feet, …)
• Rework dipping so it require component and so we can’t do it as easy in combats.
• Maybe implement surface as tactical choices instead of an automatic mechanic.
o In exemple fire could require Dext saving throw each turn to avoid a -2 AC malus.
• Saving throws for surfaces / Ability and/or skills checks on surfaces

11) CHAIN MECHANIC

Feedback
This is something nearly everyone agree : this mechanic is complicated, slow and many many mistakes are done because of it.
It’s slow when we have to chain/unchain for a single action, or when we want to create other groups, …
Companions are moving all the time, in surfaces or traps, they block the path when i.e we have to jump, …

Suggestion
• Get rid of this mechanic and use a usual CPRG party control system.

12) COMPANIONS

13) OTHER COMBATS RELATED MECHANICS

Feedback / Suggestion
- Melee attack VS prone target isn’t properly implemented.
- Game should let player to use versatile weapons 1H or 2H regardless whether their offhand is empty or not
- Longbows, shortbows, and crossbows all having the same range doesn't make sense. Longbows and crossbows should have a longer range than shortbows. Proper range attack for everything (spells included). Adjust combat ranges.
- We should be able to choose who our spells affect (i.e choose who’s the targets of bless or the targets of sleep)
- %hit and/or informations about creatures shouldn’t be visible at the first time we encounter them. Something like a growing bestiary could be cool.
- Better combat animation so it looks less static and a little bit “real”.
- Replace the word “miss” or find something to bring miss less boring. A beautiful animation could be enough.
- Better critical cutscene (camera angle, too fast at the moment, …)
- Speed up combats (“all creatures moving at the same time?”, better implementation of D&D rules? i.e Solasta’s combats looks faster).
- In combat, don’t allow us to access to other’s companions inventory
- Make Ladders / Climbing cost movement
- Food shouldn’t be an alternative to healing potions or spells. We certainly shouldn’t be able to eat food during combat and maybe we shouldn’t find so much food. HP management is too easy.

14) WORLD IMMERSION

Feedback / Suggestion
- Increase the feeling we’re in a living world with events while playing, less “static world” (i.e wolf in the goblin camp after we killed them all, random encounters while travelling to camp, …)
- Add some sort of fog of war.
- Add Random encounters, maybe at specific time or during specific travel (could be mixed with the fast travel through worldmap suggestion).
- Less obvious barrels (in enemies feet, in unappropriated locations breach, underdark, villages, old ruins, … )
- Use the worldmap for fast travel rather than TP runes and create a camp location on the worldmap. Fast travel become a travel that takes times and not a TP anymore.
- Fast travel shouldn’t be possible from everywhere
- Failed check shouldn’t be visible (perception => you know you missed something)
- Animation for normal action (jump/…) are too “Marvel-like”
- Rapiers and other 1H weapons are usually not carried on the back when sheathed, but on your side.
- Too many locations on “small” maps. Divide the maps in smaller maps to give the feeling of travel. Inconsistency due to the fact that everything is really close (goblins don’t find druids grove, they had an encounter in “the forest”, which is not really one)

15) OTHER D&D MISSING STUFF / FEEDBACK

Feedback / Suggestion
- Improve mage hand
- Missing the cleric spell Spiritual Hammer, add more D&D spells.
- Rogue need “expertise”
- Add a button to stop concentration
- Druids that shapechange should not die after shapechanging. If they take damage that reduces hp to 0, they revert to normal form and take any remaining damage to their actual hp.
- Rogue shouldn’t have “2 bonus action”. Actions should become bonus actions (related to action / bonus action changes, see chapter 2).
- Spell preparation : according to PHB, spell-preparing classes can only prepare spells during a long rest..
- Spellcasting frequency: according to PHB, casting two spells per turn should not be possible. Bonus Action Spells can only be combined with a cantrip (for instance, you cannot cast Bless and Healing Word on your turn)

16) EXPLORATION / PARTY CONTROL IMPROVEMENT

Feedback / Suggestion

- Add party formations (need to get rid of the chain mechanic)
- Add a “Sneak All” button
- Add an “Auto jump” for companions in real time mode
- Add a “Group all” / “Disband all” button
- Safe jump => we should know when we’re going to prone
- Keybind for jump / stealth

17) STORY

18) OTHER

Feedback / Suggestion
- Allow portrait targeting
- Unconscious / rez mechanic… Allow us to give a potion to unconscious companions. Death seems not really important because scrolls are cheap and we can bring many of them with us and everyone can use these scrolls. There is not enough consequences to death.
- Saved games per character
- More auto save
- Camera improvement
- Improve the pickpocket system. Too easy.
- Add an encyclopedy and / or better tutorials
- Units able to fly can’t really fly and aren’t often allowed to go to higher locations.
- Hide helmet option
- We get out of inventory when reading books.
- Add “Sell from camp storage” / “Sell all wares”
- Better party pathfinding (they actually move all the time and cross surfaces)
- Add more XP for non combat resolutions, like i.e if you success some checks or avoid combats with diplomacy.
- Backgrounds should be story-impactful, not only mechanical.
- treat familiars as enteties, not spell effects that go away on rest
- lockpicking, perception checks etc… should appear in the log.
- hide or drop altogether the % to hit indicators
- Sheathed shields should be visible on the back / Quiver and bow should also be visible / See every weapon equipped on our character. Weapons actually disappear when we’re changing them.
- Add some crafting. Artificers can craft A LOT of stuff in 5th ed. (arrows, potions, poisons, grenades, armour, etc.)
- Daggers, rapiers and shortswords are piercing weapons not slashing
- Better reaction when we discover a trap (everyone should stop moving)
- Add the cover mechanic of D&D
- Dash shouldn’t break invisibility
- Holding ALT and clicking a container in the world should open the container, not put the container in my inventory.


Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/11/20 11:52 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5