Next Thread
Print Thread
#734474 15/11/20 01:10 AM
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I mentioned this a little in a prior message near launch but wanted to expand upon now that I am a good chunk of the way through a new playthrough.

Having your characters bleed out after combat is ridiculous, especially when you get locked into conversation. Regardless of how you feel about the rest of my upcoming comments, this needs to change matter what. This is crap game design. Even when a conversation isn't forced, it is BS that the game unpauses after combat leaves a deadzone where I can't repause and rush to save my dying comrades.

Now for a more robust discussion of death out of combat. There are quite a few different ways that my characters have died out of combat, due to a variety of reasons I will list below, along with suggestions for fixes if they make sense.

Reason 1. Bleeding out from remnant DoTs post combat. This one is more of a gray area since the character didn't die immediately, and I might have time to get to them (if there isn't forced conversation). Honestly though, it feels like time needs to stop as soon as someone hits the ground. The 'real time' handling of this game is too fiddley to be able to rush to someone's aid, especially since we can't target characters by their portrait. My preferred solution is to just have everyone who isn't dead stand back up after combat, that is a pretty standard mechanic in videogames nowadays and is pretty much assumed in every tabletop game I've played. Wipe the DoTs too unless you are purposefully trying to force reloads (which I hope you aren't).

Reason 2. A giant trap or environmental hazard obliterates my party. This gets a passing grade for me as a Classic DnD trope. Except for one thing: I need to be able to somehow turn on trap finding mode. Investigation exists as a skill for a reason. A simple fix would be to link the stealth mechanic and investigation together when moving in stealth mode. Advantage for the investigation might make sense or at least a small boost over what passive perception would provide.

Reason 3. Bad AI pathing runs my characters through environmental hazards. This one is really disappointing, Larian. This almost never happens in DOS2, to the point that it even recognizes if you are undead or not when determining whether poison is safe or not. It worked pretty darn well, so I'm not sure what oversight happened here.

As a DM I try not to kill my players for BS reasons, they have to do something really dumb to get a TPK. It doesn't really feel like this is the case here. If my players wandered into a poisonous bog, I don't wait until they are already halfway dead to warn them. Even if they miss the perception check, the first time one of them takes damage is a decision point for them and I 'pause' the game. I don't say, "you start taking damage for some unexplained reason, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, you're all dead. Sorry about that you should have yelled pause."

I think in general you should implement an autopause configuration like many of the modern infinity engine clones do.

I agree with this. +1

The environmental hazards are really annoying. Like Astarion running through water just to catch up to your party, then before you know it, he's lying in the water bleeding out. Even for story reasons, he could easily just be like, "Hey, guys, I'll wait here until you get back." As opposed to the rest of your party finding him with his flesh sloughing off in the ocean. :P

addict
addict
I think a universal fix needs to be to not leave turn based mode while a party member is down or had a DOT on them.
Detecting traps seems to be a perception function.
Party AI pathing or dancing while your trying to buff someone etc. needs a lot of work.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by benbaxter

Reason 2. A giant trap or environmental hazard obliterates my party. This gets a passing grade for me as a Classic DnD trope. Except for one thing: I need to be able to somehow turn on trap finding mode. Investigation exists as a skill for a reason. A simple fix would be to link the stealth mechanic and investigation together when moving in stealth mode. Advantage for the investigation might make sense or at least a small boost over what passive perception would provide.

I really want them to add a way for us to active search for traps.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
I think a universal fix needs to be to not leave turn based mode while a party member is down or had a DOT on them.
Detecting traps seems to be a perception function.
Party AI pathing or dancing while your trying to buff someone etc. needs a lot of work.

Yes, keep the game in turn based mode on combat end should be an option in the game settings.

Link Copied to Clipboard