Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I had a crazy idea. The swamp witch first meets us in the role of a level 5 merchant in the tiefling camp, the location of the tea house is found later.

What if we kill her when we first meet at the tiefling camp, and then go to the teahouse? I wonder if Larian took this possibility into account, how this will affect the quest associated with this witch

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
The question is, how would you kill her in the camp before you get the quest to kill everyone there if you join the Absolute guys?

enthusiast
enthusiast
You're free to test it out I guess
I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine she just teleports away if you attack her in the camp.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I had a crazy idea. The swamp witch first meets us in the role of a level 5 merchant in the tiefling camp, the location of the tea house is found later.

What if we kill her when we first meet at the tiefling camp, and then go to the teahouse? I wonder if Larian took this possibility into account, how this will affect the quest associated with this witch

Interesting question so I decided to test it.

Originally Posted by Bukke
I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine she just teleports away if you attack her in the camp.

That's what I expected, but no.

The answer:
I went through my saved games and found one right after Goblins at the Gate. So not a high-level party and crap for gear. Killing a level 5 mob w/112hp is not so easy without prep but lets try it anyway.

Try 1: Go down to her and have Astarian open up with a poisoned sneak attack. She takes damage, runs off, and disappears. Looks a lot like when quest NPCs run off and disappear. Good news, no one seemed to care. Never entered combat mode though.
Try 2: Same thing but start in Turn-based mode. Got in several hits but she has a really high movement speed, so she still out distanced me and disappeared.
Try 3: I split my party up along the route she runs and do it again. I get enough hits on her that she is at 3/122. I magic missile her for the win and....she is still standing there at 0/112. No reason to stop... so I keep pounding on her. I do at least another 50 points and at the end of all my party's turns...she gets like x10 speed boost and runs way the hell away and disappears.

So...didn't seem to work but maybe she died after disappearing. Next place you usually see her with Myriana's brothers. So I head there. There she is as normal except I never notice she is now level 1 with 8hp. Well that's easy to kill so BOOM. She instakills the brothers and disappears.

Ok lets check the Tea House. Its normal there with a Pissed Ethyl for not helping her and shes back to level 5 w/ 112hp.

So yeah...that's the answer.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
She runs away with 0/112 hp and you can't kill her, even if you damage her afterwards, she keeps running away and then teleports away (without a smoke animation)

[Linked Image]

At the swamp entrance she puffs away in a cloud of smoke after being hit/killed

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Interesting question so I decided to test it.

Originally Posted by Bukke

That's what I expected, but no.

The answer:
I went through my saved games and found one right after Goblins at the Gate. So not a high-level party and crap for gear. Killing a level 5 mob w/112hp is not so easy without prep but lets try it anyway.

Try 1: Go down to her and have Astarian open up with a poisoned sneak attack. She takes damage, runs off, and disappears. Looks a lot like when quest NPCs run off and disappear. Good news, no one seemed to care. Never entered combat mode though.
Try 2: Same thing but start in Turn-based mode. Got in several hits but she has a really high movement speed, so she still out distanced me and disappeared.
Try 3: I split my party up along the route she runs and do it again. I get enough hits on her that she is at 3/122. I magic missile her for the win and....she is still standing there at 0/112. No reason to stop... so I keep pounding on her. I do at least another 50 points and at the end of all my party's turns...she gets like x10 speed boost and runs way the hell away and disappears.

So...didn't seem to work but maybe she died after disappearing. Next place you usually see her with Myriana's brothers. So I head there. There she is as normal except I never notice she is now level 1 with 8hp. Well that's easy to kill so BOOM. She instakills the brothers and disappears.

Ok lets check the Tea House. Its normal there with a Pissed Ethyl for not helping her and shes back to level 5 w/ 112hp.

So yeah...that's the answer.

Thanks for testing! laugh That was interesting.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
enthusiast
enthusiast
Interesting indeed.
I guess you technically aren't supposed to be able to kill her there, but it'd be interesting if it was possible, even if it'd lock you out of a couple of quests.

N
old hand
old hand
N
What would be interesting is if you manage to kill her early, when you get to the tea house, it's her sister from baldur's gate who's there, looking for answers about her disappearance.

veteran
veteran
When you arrive in the swamp and you are not nice to her she will become invisible and run away.
I killed the red caps before going to her.
Can you kill her in this moment?
Not sure if there is a way to make an invisible enemy show herself.
Maybe you can use web and have some luck she fails the saving throw.

I have killed her by sending the spider animal companion down alone.
Jump across the poison and and sneak up on her down there.
Took a long time and many summoned spiders, but you can win almost every fight this way.
When combat ends because spider is dead her copies disappear and she keeps her low HP.
You cannot save the girl that way and the cut scene shows you standing next to her while your party is actually far awy.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yes, Larian thought we weren't going to do it. But if there is even a hint of an opportunity in the game, then it is OBVIOUS that the player will try to do it in the second playthrough to see what happens. At the very least, we deserve an Easter egg for every case when the player, knowing the plot spoilers, tries to act illogically to break quests.

There are not many such cases, but they exist and the game does not react to them.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Not sure if there is a way to make an invisible enemy show herself.

Faerie Fire if you roughly know where the Invisible creature is. A couple of other higher level spells, e.g. Dispel Magic.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard