Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I now finished my 3rd EA playthrough and somehow the magical items seem to be for the most part too interchangeable. Of course this might be because almost all of the weapons have a +1 modification. However also considering their abilities it doesnt seem to make a big difference if I use a regular sword/axe... or one of the magical items... they simply do not feel "special" enough.

In BG1 and BG2 I would read through all the histories of the different items and the special abilities of the weapons felt more diverse/useful (e.g. the necklace of poison protection, Mace of destruction, girdles of Giant Strenghts, Axe which would have Acid damage against trolls, sword with silence protection, ring of free movement after an end boss, cloak of charming...).

The only two items which I would really miss would be the amulet of lost voices and the circlet improving magic missiles. Also there seems to be like a million amulets, however not a single cape, too few rings, only one special bow... maybe still too early, however would be great if there can be a little more diversity/simply items feeling more special.

Personally I would also very much appreciate adding more lore by giving magical items background stories... (can also be added at the very end).

old hand
old hand
I would like to see more lore/stories on the items, myself.

addict
addict
My only gripe is the lack of finesse ones.

addict
addict
Yep. So far they've written lore in books, but it would be great to know the histories of the items.

I feel we find too many magic items, too fast. If I had to choose between fewer magic items with more stories to them, and more magic items that have no story, I'd very much vote for the former.

The big question though is : how ? Larian will hopefully review and revise their hover-windows that give information on items, spells, etc. At the moment, it doesn't really have too much space for items backstories (and probably not enough space for the description of some spells).

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Yep. So far they've written lore in books, but it would be great to know the histories of the items.

I feel we find too many magic items, too fast. If I had to choose between fewer magic items with more stories to them, and more magic items that have no story, I'd very much vote for the former.

The big question though is : how ? Larian will hopefully review and revise their hover-windows that give information on items, spells, etc. At the moment, it doesn't really have too much space for items backstories (and probably not enough space for the description of some spells).

Exactly my thought. It feels like I am showered with unique magic items in the early game. I would like it if they cut out maybe three-quarters of them and put work into making the remaining ones special.

It also feels that I run into a lot of 2H unique magic items: spears, greatswords, and maces. Only finesse ones I have seen are two daggers.

veteran
veteran
Many items are really WTF to me...
Many are totally overpowered, other completely devalue our choices, other completely break even more the ressource management and others shout at us : use me and play like that.

- +18 intelligence
Combined with the scrolls for everyone (and the number of scrolls), your battlemaster is a true fighter as efficient as your wizard with magic. Don't play any Eldritch Knight, it's useless and don't take any feats at level 4... You don't really have to.
This is level 4 and this is D&D, classes are not just a concept like in previous Larian's game.

- Strength Saving Throw Proficiency +1 + Helm's Protection: When you heal another creature, it gains resistance against Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.
This is also completely OP. I'm fine with the +1 strength ST, this is gloves, that make sense... But what about the heal and the resistance ?

- Order of Nature: Undead creatures that attack the wearer receive 1d6 Radiant. Beasts that attack the wearer deal an additional 1d6 Radiant.
Seriously are we supposed to equip and remove our equipment ? I'm not against "cursed" items (like the absolute's items), but what is the point and what is the logic here ?
Why should wolf's attacks become magic because you wear a specific armor ?

- The Wielder gains resistance to necrotic damage. Deals an Additional 1d6 necrotic to nearby targets including the wielder
Again... why ? just add 1D4 necrotic damages to target and that's it... Items are supposed to be a reward, not a hard choice with bad consequences...

- Adds an additional 1d8 Slashing to targets that still have all their hit points.
This is completely OP. Any ranger using this could have an auto +1D8 damages...

- After a successful attack with this dagger, the wielder receives 1d4 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws for 1 round.

- Chance to inflict a d4 penalty to attack rolls and saving throws on target. If the attacker still has 25% or more hit points, they take 1d6 Piercing themselves.

- Whenever the wearer is healed, its weapon drips with poison, and deals additional Poison damage.

I'm very mixed about the way they create items.
Some are fine of course because the look "normal", but I really hate those exemples and I really can't imagine which stories they could have...

Where are the "usual +1 items" (there are not so many), where are the unique +1D4 fire damage sword (answer : dipping), where are the simple "protect you from critical hit" ?
A little bit more sobriety in items could really be cool. They should read the DMG, there are ~80 pages that gives clue to create consistent items in a D&D experience.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/11/20 10:53 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
I think the number of magic items we find in Early Access content is extremely high, from the perspective of a D&D campaign. From the perspective of a video game, it's about right.

I ended up with 47 permanent equippable magic items at the end of my first playthrough, also having gotten rid of 12 to 15 others. So I acquired around 60 items just in Act One of the game (maybe not even all of Act One). A lot of them were unique, not merely +1 whatevers.

I would like to see more items from the D&D books in the game, though. As for items which have both a positive and a negative effect, I don't mind them. Makes them seem more interesting. I wouldn't want all the items to be like that, though.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

- Order of Nature: Undead creatures that attack the wearer receive 1d6 Radiant. Beasts that attack the wearer deal an additional 1d6 Radiant.
Seriously are we supposed to equip and remove our equipment ? I'm not against "cursed" items (like the absolute's items), but what is the point and what is the logic here ?
Why should wolf's attacks become magic because you wear a specific armor ?

Considering this appears to be a divine item, my guess is that Silvanus takes a dislike to you fighting beasts (ie. animals) and therefore the item helps them defeat you more easily. If, however, you’re fighting corruption by purging undead you get his help by way of extra radiant damage. Makes sense to me.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I think the number of magic items we find in Early Access content is extremely high, from the perspective of a D&D campaign. From the perspective of a video game, it's about right.

I ended up with 47 permanent equippable magic items at the end of my first playthrough, also having gotten rid of 12 to 15 others. So I acquired around 60 items just in Act One of the game (maybe not even all of Act One). A lot of them were unique, not merely +1 whatevers.

I would like to see more items from the D&D books in the game, though. As for items which have both a positive and a negative effect, I don't mind them. Makes them seem more interesting. I wouldn't want all the items to be like that, though.

What. That's almost ToB-level ridiculousness. And shouldn't coming across even a +1 item be a grand event at such low levels?

Less items, more uniqueness, more flavour.

Last edited by Uncle Lester; 17/11/20 09:56 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Items are a work in progress, both in terms of implementation and lore. We seldom see magic armors or shields in the game. And belts or cloaks are not even a thing. So I would rather wait a bit still to say my final thoughts about magic items in BG 3. I guess they will be adding more as EA goes on.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/11/20 11:23 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
It's way too crazy and high the number of items and how powerful they are. If you spread them out amongst the entire party, the power spike is ridiculous.

I would like a rare or powerful item to be meaningful and not just littered around the map, but Larian is known for doing that.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

What. That's almost ToB-level ridiculousness. And shouldn't coming across even a +1 item be a grand event at such low events?

Less items, more uniqueness, more flavour.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's pretty insane. You can see the full breakdown here: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=725520

addict
addict
Oh boy. This is crazy. And not just the barrels...

As a side note, I must say I hate the colour rarity system. It's good for MMOs and looter games. Not a cRPG.

(Also I just noticed I had written "events" instead of "levels". What.)

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
For sure everything is work in progress and it can go either way how Larian plans to implement things. I also think that less would be more.

Amount: Of course also we dont know how many acts will be in the game. If we are already 25% through the number might be ok-ish, if we have 8 acts then inventory gets messed up...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow 21 powder barrels will just about clear EA. I got to admit it is pretty funny blowing the hag out her front door into the middle of the swamp with a big line of powder kegs.

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Wow 21 powder barrels will just about clear EA. I got to admit it is pretty funny blowing the hag out her front door into the middle of the swamp with a big line of powder kegs.

Don’t mind me, Dror, just the interior designer here. Also, please don’t smoke until I am done.

I will not deny, most my save scumming was just for the fun of turning the throne room into a flaming swamp over and over.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Oh boy. This is crazy. And not just the barrels...

As a side note, I must say I hate the colour rarity system. It's good for MMOs and looter games. Not a cRPG.

(Also I just noticed I had written "events" instead of "levels". What.)

I don't really mind the color rarity system at this point. I'm so used to it being in games now that I don't even notice it anymore.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I'll side with Larian here. The only way to make up for the fact that there is currently a lvl4 cap in an act that will likely take us to lvl 5-6 (unless they change the xp system) is to give us sort of powerful magical items.
Apart from the magic missile one, none are really OP, but all will make you slightly change your tactics in combat so you can actually benefit from them.
I also find myself not necessarily going for the best equipment but the one that will make my characters look the way I think they should.
I mean, I don't want my Shadowheart to wear that ugly +1 dex throws helmet . The graphics play a part in the choices I make, which feels sort of like roleplaying.
Totally agree though, would love more stories on the items.

veteran
veteran
I'm also with Larian on this one. Give us boatloads of magic items. Give us IWD like item descriptions. In fact give us more items and fewer rule changes.

Magic items are better ways to deal with perceived problems in the ruleset than are homebrew rules. Under the current house rules we're all walking around with +2 weapons because enemy AC has been lowered. Restore AC to MM levels and give people +1 or masterwork weapons I say.

veteran
veteran
@LD88 I don't agree that Larian currently needs to add many magic items make up for the fact that there's a lvl4 cap. All the encounters in EA are doable with a level 4 party not using any magic items. Magic items make these combats easier, sure, but they aren't required. And if they raise the level cap, magic items will make combats even easier.

@KillerRabbit I be mostly fine if there were ~the same number of magic items (there are already >40 items, which is plenty.), but may of their abilities were changed to be more unique and less powerful, with more history
-More/same # of items that give +1 to specific skill checks, ability to cast guidance/speak with dead/dancing lights, all the Absolute items, boots of web walking, boots of haste (good reward for a quest, especially since you can return the boots for a gameplay benefit)
-less weapons/armors that give straight +1 to AC/attack rolls (boring and pretty powerful: worst of both worlds). Especially in shops.
-less OP items like the magic missile amulet. Or the same number, but 5-10x more expensive

Link Copied to Clipboard