Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bukke
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Same. I wouldn't be surprised if the first major patch mostly consists of bug fixes and implementing features that weren't quite ready for the original EA release.
If there will be actual system changes or reworks I expect them to come at a later date.

They've done some bug-fixing patches already. While fixing bugs is important, people are impatient and want balance changes. It's been a month and a half without even any acknowledgement from Larian about the game balance issues.

You've got that dead wrong about system changes and reworks. The time for major changes is NOW, because that gives more time to tweak and adjust them. A year is not a long time in game development, and the more time passes, the less Larian will be interested in making changes at all, because they'll have spent more time developing based on the old balance and need to tweak many things again.

What I meant is I think it's too early for any radical changes to be in a shippable state. I agree that the sooner any system/balance changes are implemented, the better. However depending on how long they spent collecting statistics and feedback I'm still not sure how much time they've actually had to developed and add the said changes.

Kinda agreed with both of you. The time to act is now, but rushing without proper consideration (analyzing massive amounts of feedback) would do more harm than good. If we see no sign of major changes within a month or so, it'll be time to be worried. I personally think a year will not be enough - and it's not like they promised any specific date. Tbh from what I've seen, it'd be good for the game if it was closer to two years in EA. It needs work if it's to reach its potential and not just be "good enough".

On the topic of

I wouldn't be surprised if the first major patch mostly consists of bug fixes and implementing features that weren't quite ready for the original EA release.

implementing those not-quite-ready features could be a major thing, too. One of those is "whole party takes part in conversations", one of the most requested "smaller" features. There's probably a lot of those we don't know about, and I suspect several may be quite substantial, not just UI tweaks and minor QoL features.

Wait, why would they try to fix all of the bugs before implementing changes based on feedback? Changes to balance, gameplay and story might end up causing more bugs or causing issues with any fixes they would have worked on and implemented.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it makes more sense to implement any larger changes based on feedback, get more feedback on changes, tweak things and then worry about bug fixing and polishing.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Blade238
Wait, why would they try to fix all of the bugs before implementing changes based on feedback?

This is the kind of curveball you throw here smile
So - Larian said that they are building systems, based on that system they are building the game - do you remember how they first introduced an initiative system? your whole team goes then the whole enemy team goes - or another way around based on an initiative.
It turns out that didn't quite work - so they changed it because the system allows them to do that.

So - if they fix bugs in the system - they could adjust the game however they like.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Wait, why would they try to fix all of the bugs before implementing changes based on feedback? Changes to balance, gameplay and story might end up causing more bugs or causing issues with any fixes they would have worked on and implemented.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it makes more sense to implement any larger changes based on feedback, get more feedback on changes, tweak things and then worry about bug fixing and polishing.

In this instance fixing the immediate bugs and issues makes much more sense. Aside from everything else, you'll be getting skewed data if players are running into bugs that aren't getting fixed. The longer those stay in the game, the less relevant the data they're getting from players with regards to death/gold/weapons is. Plus the more immediate crash/stability fixes added, the more players are able to get into the game and spend more time playing it. More players = more data and insights, which is also good.

Immediate fixes first, get it stable and working, particularly on PC, as there's usually a variety of different configurations players have - stuff you can't usually test in-house (or not to that kind of level)

Also, bigger system changes take time to put in. They've got a few weeks of insights now to work with, they'll need to analyse that, change things, test things internally, make sure everything's balanced as much as possible before getting things out. That kind of stuff takes time. It's not something you can throw out in a week.

old hand
old hand

Ya, pretty sure companies have done this before, instead of fixing stuff they bring out more content and 10 times more bugs so the game is in worse shape than before...right, sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted by fallenj

Ya, pretty sure companies have done this before, instead of fixing stuff they bring out more content and 10 times more bugs so the game is in worse shape than before...right, sounds like a plan.

Exactly, 10 times more bugs. So it makes more sense to get rid of all of the bugs, then add them in making all the previous work pointless?

Look at any live service game. Fallout 76 for instance keeps fixing the same bugs because their updates and content releases reintroduce them back into the game. The difference is this game doesn't need to fix something like a dupe glitch a hundred times, they could add in all of the content and fix it later. Unless it's game breaking, it makes no sense to keep fixing the same issues.

addict
addict
Tweeking the interior trim before fixing the cracked camshaft

enthusiast
enthusiast

Sounds like my experience with mmo games. ;>

Originally Posted by yellowsapphire88

In this instance fixing the immediate bugs and issues makes much more sense. Aside from everything else, you'll be getting skewed data if players are running into bugs that aren't getting fixed. The longer those stay in the game, the less relevant the data they're getting from players with regards to death/gold/weapons is. Plus the more immediate crash/stability fixes added, the more players are able to get into the game and spend more time playing it. More players = more data and insights, which is also good.

Immediate fixes first, get it stable and working, particularly on PC, as there's usually a variety of different configurations players have - stuff you can't usually test in-house (or not to that kind of level)

Also, bigger system changes take time to put in. They've got a few weeks of insights now to work with, they'll need to analyse that, change things, test things internally, make sure everything's balanced as much as possible before getting things out. That kind of stuff takes time. It's not something you can throw out in a week.

That much I understand, but I'm talking about the idea that fixing all of the bugs before bothering to implement changes. If it's immediate or an easy and quick fix, then it makes sense to have a lot of hot fixes.

I'm curious how bad issues are for a lot of people. I had quite a few CTD, but it's already as stable as any Bethesda day 1 launch for instance. Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 76 were crapshows at launch, but it didn't stop tons of people from playing.

You don't need to bug test to know that their environmental effects are broken for instance and need dramatic changes as has been voiced around here. I can trivialize any encounter by carrying a few barrels on the characters and inflicting constant damage and knockdown on enemies for instance.

I do get that major changes take time, I'm not suggesting they should have major content releases every week (it's not possible) I'm simply asking why it's suggested that the game be close to bug free before doing these changes.

As to the fixing bugs to have more players and play time? I stopped playing a couple weeks ago because I got bored with the content there. They can fix every bug in the game, but it won't get me or anyone else in my position to play the EA again until some new content and changes are made.

old hand
old hand

Exactly, 10 times more bugs. So it makes more sense to get rid of all of the bugs, then add them in making all the previous work pointless?

Look at any live service game. Fallout 76 for instance keeps fixing the same bugs because their updates and content releases reintroduce them back into the game. The difference is this game doesn't need to fix something like a dupe glitch a hundred times, they could add in all of the content and fix it later. Unless it's game breaking, it makes no sense to keep fixing the same issues.

I wouldn't say fix all the bugs, but ya fixing stuff is important. Generally needs to be a balance so the game actually works as intended.

Originally Posted by Verte

Sounds like my experience with mmo games. ;>

Ya, I was a mmo junky as a teen/young adult

old hand
old hand
We demand more sexy empty containers.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nicottia

Pfft, rookie numbers. :P

I'm at 450 so....

I hope:
1) the patch comes soon
2) there are major bug fixes and some new content (a class/race)

And the only reason I hope for the above it so all the entitled whiners can STFU on this being just a money grab, Larian not listening to customers, etc.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
We demand more sexy empty containers.

Sounds like a plan

veteran
veteran
There's a part of me that wants to see what a sexy empty container looks like and another is still scarred by the results that google image search for 'sexy wheel of cheese'.

Anyway, I'm finding that this website is able to answer most my questions about the patch: https://magic-8ball.com/

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
There's a part of me that wants to see what a sexy empty container looks like and another is still scarred by the results that google image search for 'sexy wheel of cheese'.

Anyway, I'm finding that this website is able to answer most my questions about the patch: https://magic-8ball.com/

LoL!

Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Community update #11: New Minthara sex positions

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

You better not fail me 8ball!
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Vhaldez

Next on gaming journalist blogs: Is Larian catering only to their horny fans?

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

Community update: players siding with goblins rises to 80%.

Last edited by Ari; 17/11/20 09:14 AM.
veteran
veteran
The only thing I want from community updates is Sven Wince being goofy in his armor.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Vhaldez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
The only thing I want from community updates is Sven Wince being goofy in his armor.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard