Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
This book is a must add. Since the psionic subclass are now official.

addict
addict
You know what I'm really excited about? It seems they might have backpedaled on Aberrant Mind. I was extremely disappointed they remade it into a generic psionic class (with the horrible psionic die mechanic), but I saw the TCoE table of contents and it's again called Aberrant Mind. I wonder how flavour and mechanics look like in this iteration. It could be amazing for BG3 thematically. Other psionic classes too, to a lesser extent.

Not to mention there's a load of great subclasses in general in TCoE. But that also applies to XGtE. I wonder how much of supplement content they'll manage to get into the game.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Please no. This book destroys all the identity of the different races and turns them into a generic blob.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ixal
Please no. This book destroys all the identity of the different races and turns them into a generic blob.

I don't disagree about this point specifically, but I think it's mostly about the subclasses.

P
addict
addict
P
I can't speak for the race options because I won't pick up my copy until this evening, but the subclasses, feats and additional class features are the reason I'm excited for it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Piff
I can't speak for the race options because I won't pick up my copy until this evening, but the subclasses, feats and additional class features are the reason I'm excited for it.

Ah yes, I forgot about feats and class features! I'm curious how they'll differ from the UA versions, especially class features. I see they added some Battle Master stuff, too.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Ixal

False. Tasha's gives you options for customizing your character's origin. It is not mandated and it doesn't radically change race like you seem to think it does.

From the book:
Everything in this book is optional. Each group, guided by the DM, decides which of these options, if any, to incorporate into a campaign. You can use some, all, or none of them. We encourage you to choose the ones that fit best with your campaign’s story and with your group’s style of play.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by KingNothing69
False. Tasha's gives you options for customizing your character's origin. It is not mandated and it doesn't radically change race like you seem to think it does.

I had a feeling it was going to be more like the Advance Race Guide from pathfinder, which, if you've never read, dedicated an entire section to making your own race blocks. It lists almost ever racial feature found in pathfinder, assigns them a point value, tells you that core races have x number of points, advanced races have y number of points, then just.... lets you make whatever the hell you want.

It was great, i made a cervitaur archer, she had an absurd movement speed and filled things with arrows from far away and i loved her.

Also, while we're on the topic of ranger, I'm excited to see if they published the replacement class features for ranger. I've played with both them and the revised ranger, and i found the replacement class features ranger to be superior.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Well with the sidekick system, you can basically pick any creature with a CR of 1/2 or less and then make them either an Expert, Spellcaster, or Warrior. That opens up a lot of fun options that aren't available for normal player characters.

stranger
stranger
Honestly? I really hope they don't add any of the new subclasses from Tasha's. From a balance standpoint, most of them blow existing subclasses out of the water and use really strange mechanics, such as using your proficiency modifier as a cap for the number of times certain abilities can be used.

P
addict
addict
P
The proficiency bonus is just a static modifier that skills take their values off of, like any of your ability scores. I've done exactly the same thing when making both classes and subclasses, if you want a static modifier that grows with your character, isn't excessive and isn't tied to an ability score (and therefore currently immune to magic item trickery) its an option you have.

Not to dismiss your concerns, but if class power creep is your issue, then they also shouldn't add any of the subclasses from Xans either.

Last edited by Piff; 17/11/20 11:43 PM.
stranger
stranger
The problem is consistency. It's an odd way to design your game with some subs using scaling pr as a modifier, and others not at all. While yes I agree, there is class power creep from Xgte, but it's miles apart from the issues of Tasha's.

P
addict
addict
P
Ah, i just had a look at the replacement class features and I'm really annoyed that they ripped out actual spell versatility and shat all over favoured foe for ranger, what a sad day.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Remember that all those rules are options. You take what you want and throw the rest. I was just pointing that psionic are well balanced in TCoE.

Link Copied to Clipboard