Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cal1s Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
There is a fairly new interview with Sven over at IGN and I am very disappointed about the things they focused on (again mentioning what percentage of playerbase did what etc, totally uninteresting stuff). I don't care about what other players are doing tbh. I'd rather see them focusin on game design and system design instead of throwin to my face that "all players are horny" ...

Also I didnt like the answer regarding player feedback, Sven just sayin something like we got a lot of feedback from the players, but all those ideas were already on our list anyway ... that's like one of the most lazy answers you could give and doesnt really speak of any appreciation towards the playerbase. So basically he is saying that the reason why theyve been silient on all our feedback given is because our suggestions "align with their roadmap" anyway ... like wtf?

Read full interview here:

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-changes-player-data-feedback-larian

veteran
veteran
There's discussion of this article (and another article on techradar) in this forum post: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=733888&page=1

While an entirely new forum post about it isn't bad (get a fresh set of eyes on it, get rid of the baggage from the first thread, etc), just wanted to let you know of this other thread's existence so you could check out others' comments (some people agreeing with your assessment and others arguing differently).

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by cal1s

Also I didnt like the answer regarding player feedback, Sven just sayin something like we got a lot of feedback from the players, but all those ideas were already on our list anyway ... that's like one of the most lazy answers you could give and doesnt really speak of any appreciation towards the playerbase. So basically he is saying that the reason why theyve been silient on all our feedback given is because our suggestions "align with their roadmap" anyway ... like wtf?

What exactly is your problem here ? I mean that the feedback stuff has been already on the roadmap is actually really satisfying. Do you want a good functioning game or do you want personal appretiation for you feedback ideas ?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I really kinda enjoyed that players being horny remark. U can read so many people moaning about the romance (I hate it, I don't play rpgs for that, it sucks, it is childish), how much they hate it, when in reality, almost everyone is buying into it, but some people are just super hypocritical bout it. Nice on Swen, for pointing that out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
I really kinda enjoyed that players being horny remark. U can read so many people moaning about the romance (I hate it, I don't play rpgs for that, it sucks, it is childish), how much they hate it, when in reality, almost everyone is buying into it, but some people are just super hypocritical bout it. Nice on Swen, for pointing that out.

To be fair they've evidently had some very specific requirements for classifying whether or not a player choose to romance one of the companions.
The interview makes it sound like 98% of the players decided to romance a companion, but considering how far into the game it happens there is literally no way that's possible.
When exactly the romance happens might vary from one player to another depending on the order they explored and did quests in, but even if you give it a generous estimate I'd say it's still way over than halfway through the game. 2/3 through or possibly even 3/4 is probably a way safer bet.

In regards to romances, I just enjoy my characters having someone they love to venture with as well as friends,

I wouldn't mind leaving out the saucy scenes

Last edited by A Clown; 18/11/20 04:45 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Romance is hardly optional considering you basically get dialogue roofied into it. Of course using statistic generators as a feedback mechanism is okay for mechanics and combat (to an extent) but it's hardly an accurate dialogue data mining feature. It's like having a comment section without the ability to thumb down, it is fake feedback.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Romance is hardly optional considering you basically get dialogue roofied into it. Of course using statistic generators as a feedback mechanism is okay for mechanics and combat (to an extent) but it's hardly an accurate dialogue data mining feature. It's like having a comment section without the ability to thumb down, it is fake feedback.

What is hardly? It either is or isn't (and clearly it isn't)

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spacehamster95

There really aren't a lot of people complaining about it, it's the same handful of people.

I do think there's some valid criticism tho in regards to how sudden it is.

addict
addict
Well he’s right, I’m rly horny for Astarion. I also believe that in any story, character is more important than plot. No matter how good the story is, if I don't like any of characters, I won't remember story. And yes, for many people, LI are really important, accept it. Fandom is developed through love of characters rather than gameplay.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sure, I am not saying the romances are perfect. I am still not sure I want those Bioware-induced graphic love scenes.

But the romances can be a nice story element and add a layer to the companion-pc relations that makes you feel closer to the game world. I mean the incredible fan art comics I have seen about the original BG companions or Dragon Age companions, all inspired by the in-game romances. People are really invested in them, which is kinda sweet.

And i agree, I am sure the people who are moaning about the romances are a loud minority but still, they are annoying as a frick and deserved the dig from Swen.

Originally Posted by Nyloth
Fandom is developed through love of characters rather than gameplay.

100% agreed.

Last edited by spacehamster95; 19/11/20 11:12 AM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard